New to forum, new machine bought sight unseen. B2400 HST

BeninCT

Equipment
Kubota B2400 HST
Dec 25, 2023
CT, USA
A truer statement has never been spoken.

I wonder if theres a "12 step program" for guys like us.........:D

BTW Nice job on that Jeep. (y)
Better than drugs or hookers…. I am not even trying to recover. Fully embracing my demons and filling my shop with tools and toys lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

BeninCT

Equipment
Kubota B2400 HST
Dec 25, 2023
CT, USA
Looks like you did fine. If your going to fab a loader I'd suggest measuring width of hood area and get an idea where the loader towers would set and then keep an eye out of a loader of any brand that comes close that you can modify. Makes the whole process easier.

I found and installed a Massey loader on a L305 Kubota and it worked out fine. I did not have to modify any of the loader but had to fabricate all the mounting brackets.
Thats the plan. Just watch and see what might come along and remodel it if I can. They are so hard to find it’s amazing really.

BeninCT

Equipment
Kubota B2400 HST
Dec 25, 2023
CT, USA
I borrowed heavily from pictures here and elsewhere and other research, including a paper on the subject of SCUT FEL design principles I found on the internet. Plus a lot of advice and information from other B7100 owners right here on this forum.

Initially, I was looking at adapting plans by PF Engineering, but came to the conclusion that I was better off starting from scratch. His plans were really aimed at something smaller and simply scaling it up wasn't looking good.

I took a pile of measurements and started laying things out in a drawing program (some of those drawings can be seen in this thread). I did a lot of cut-and-paste on different layers so I could walk through the range of motion, angles, etc. of each design change.

Online hydraulic force calculators helped a lot with calculating cylinder mounting angles, diameters and pressures. I found similar tables and calculators to help with the structural members.

So did I design it? In the sense that I was the one who put all the stolen ideas together, yes. But I can't claim to have created the thing from whole cloth.
You designed it… will study that thread if I have to build one. How is it holding up today? I also wonder what the difference is in performance between the 1700 and 2400. Ever feel like you need more Hp? I suspect not unless mowing deep wet grass or something.

Thanks for commenting

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I don't have as much skill to design as you guys do but I suggest you take a hard look at what Torch and Littlefoot did. They basically built a sub-frame then installed tractor and loader on it. Many clutch issues are consequences of loader with insufficient subframe that will cause more serious damage in time.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
You designed it… will study that thread if I have to build one. How is it holding up today? I also wonder what the difference is in performance between the 1700 and 2400. Ever feel like you need more Hp? I suspect not unless mowing deep wet grass or something.

Thanks for commenting
Overall, holding up well. I did have to change to slightly heavier material for my SSQA brackets. One developed a stress crack last year right at one of the openings for the lever mechanism.

I assume you meant "between the 7100 and the 2400"? (I have a B7100)

The B2400 is about 8 more HP according to tractordata.com. The recommended loaders included the B219, the B1630C (compatible with the mid-mount mower) and the most powerful, the B1630 (not compatible with the mid-mount mower). The latter's lifting force is rated 580lbs at the pins. I calculated that my loader itself could lift 1,000 lbs, but limited the bucket size to keep the loads to around 500 - 600lbs on the theory that was probably what the tractor's front axle could handle.

I found the mid-mount mower was unsuitable for my particular property. So I sold that and reverted to a riding mower for the lawn maintenance. As an added bonus, SWMBO doesn't mind using the lawn tractor, but is intimidated by the Kubota. I have yet to feel I needed more FEL bucket capacity, but sometimes a little more would be nice when using the forks. That's not really a HP issue though. I did find the onboard 3gpm hydraulic pump was a little slow for my 2" cylinders and replaced it with a higher capacity pump. Again, not a HP issue, just flow rate.

The recommended loaders for the B2400 were the LA301 and the even stronger LA351, which is rated 1,335lbs at the pins -- so I would think the front axle can handle well over twice the lift capacity of mine. Bearing in mind that any lift capacity rating assumes a suitable counter-weight hanging off the back! The pump flow is listed as 5.8gpm, which should be adequate for 2" cylinders at least. At first blush, I would think the B2400 is a great candidate for a FEL, 5' bucket and 48" forks. But obviously I have not done any calculations to confirm that hypothesis.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Ooops. Duplicate post deleted.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Thats the plan. Just watch and see what might come along and remodel it if I can. They are so hard to find it’s amazing really.
I'd suggest FB Marketplace as the most active place to search for a loader (or other attachments nearby).

BeninCT

Equipment
Kubota B2400 HST
Dec 25, 2023
CT, USA
Overall, holding up well. I did have to change to slightly heavier material for my SSQA brackets. One developed a stress crack last year right at one of the openings for the lever mechanism.

I assume you meant "between the 7100 and the 2400"? (I have a B7100)

The B2400 is about 8 more HP according to tractordata.com. The recommended loaders included the B219, the B1630C (compatible with the mid-mount mower) and the most powerful, the B1630 (not compatible with the mid-mount mower). The latter's lifting force is rated 580lbs at the pins. I calculated that my loader itself could lift 1,000 lbs, but limited the bucket size to keep the loads to around 500 - 600lbs on the theory that was probably what the tractor's front axle could handle.

I found the mid-mount mower was unsuitable for my particular property. So I sold that and reverted to a riding mower for the lawn maintenance. As an added bonus, SWMBO doesn't mind using the lawn tractor, but is intimidated by the Kubota. I have yet to feel I needed more FEL bucket capacity, but sometimes a little more would be nice when using the forks. That's not really a HP issue though. I did find the onboard 3gpm hydraulic pump was a little slow for my 2" cylinders and replaced it with a higher capacity pump. Again, not a HP issue, just flow rate.

The recommended loaders for the B2400 were the LA301 and the even stronger LA351, which is rated 1,335lbs at the pins -- so I would think the front axle can handle well over twice the lift capacity of mine. Bearing in mind that any lift capacity rating assumes a suitable counter-weight hanging off the back! The pump flow is listed as 5.8gpm, which should be adequate for 2" cylinders at least. At first blush, I would think the B2400 is a great candidate for a FEL, 5' bucket and 48" forks. But obviously I have not done any calculations to confirm that hypothesis.
Did you consider a single piston for the bucket? Seems like it would be less $ and one less hose. I remember back hoes from the 60’s and 70’s with just one so it can work. Just curious.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Actually, it should not be all that "amazing".
People who have a tractor WITH a loader, that don't like their loader....will just buy a different tractor.
People who decide to sell their loader tractor, are simply not interested in removing the loader, to sell the tractor and loader separately.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Did you consider a single piston for the bucket? Seems like it would be less $ and one less hose. I remember back hoes from the 60’s and 70’s with just one so it can work. Just curious.
That was suggested. However, I wanted to use the arms to support a modified front mount snowblower (that was another fun project) and needed the space between the arms to accommodate the blower and drive-shaft. Which precluded a single cylinder in that space.

Reactions: 1 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Actually, it should not be all that "amazing".
People who have a tractor WITH a loader, that don't like their loader....will just buy a different tractor.
People who decide to sell their loader tractor, are simply not interested in removing the loader, to sell the tractor and loader separately.
That is true but tractors with loaders go kuput same as others. When that happens owner often scraps tractor and buys another bigger,better or newer which loader doesn't fit. The biggest problem when buying or selling used loaders is matching up fit. You can sell a loader off a hundred series Ford overnight for premium price simply because it fits several tractors without and mods. Kubota is a different story since they change from year to year,model to model and often mid production. Loaders might be same for different make and model but brackets are different. If a guy spent time looking up part #s he might put them on a spread sheet to compare when loaders come up for sale. The loader for sale off a ABC Green tractor is the same part # as that for XYZ orange,just different brackets.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That is true but tractors with loaders go kuput same as others. When that happens owner often scraps tractor and buys another bigger,better or newer which loader doesn't fit. The biggest problem when buying or selling used loaders is matching up fit. You can sell a loader off a hundred series Ford overnight for premium price simply because it fits several tractors without and mods. Kubota is a different story since they change from year to year,model to model and often mid production. Loaders might be same for different make and model but brackets are different. If a guy spent time looking up part #s he might put them on a spread sheet to compare when loaders come up for sale. The loader for sale off a ABC Green tractor is the same part # as that for XYZ orange,just different brackets.
Must not happen very often, or used loaders would be readily available,.......and....they are not!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Well I know I couldn't GIVE AWAY a Freeman loader off one of my D-14s. Complete, operational, 2 rebuilt spare cylinders along with good ones on it,bucket has great tines,no holes either. I kept the frame on the tractor as it makes a great step. the rest went to China. Sad but after a YEAR, not one person even asked about it, or the single point bale spear. yet yesterday kid(19) comes by and buys 4 M-F garden tractor hupcaps, I asked for 40, he gave me 50 ,wouldn't take 10 back !

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well I know I couldn't GIVE AWAY a Freeman loader off one of my D-14s. Complete, operational, 2 rebuilt spare cylinders along with good ones on it,bucket has great tines,no holes either. I kept the frame on the tractor as it makes a great step. the rest went to China. Sad but after a YEAR, not one person even asked about it, or the single point bale spear. yet yesterday kid(19) comes by and buys 4 M-F garden tractor hupcaps, I asked for 40, he gave me 50 ,wouldn't take 10 back !
I would think it a fair assumption that not many folks would consider adding a loader to a 65 year old (D-14) tractor.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I would think it a fair assumption that not many folks would consider adding a loader to a 65 year old (D-14) tractor.
My point precisely. The majority of hobby tractor owners look for neat packages tied up with ribbon and bows instead of thinking out of the box , or bucket :giggle: as the case might be. An open minded diyer can buy the D-14 loader and adapt it to a 10 year old tractor for 10% of what new loaders cost.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My point precisely. The majority of hobby tractor owners look for neat packages tied up with ribbon and bows instead of thinking out of the box , or bucket :giggle: as the case might be. An open minded diyer can buy the D-14 loader and adapt it to a 10 year old tractor for 10% of what new loaders cost.
I am certain that there are a lot of us on the forums who have the knowledge and experience to fabricate one, but we have old bodies that don't work as well as they did 20+ years ago. That is why young folks buy new equipment rather than adapt old equipment. They don't have the knowledge, ambition, or drive to learn new tasks like their forefathers.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I am certain that there are a lot of us on the forums who have the knowledge and experience to fabricate one, but we have old bodies that don't work as well as they did 20+ years ago. That is why young folks buy new equipment rather than adapt old equipment. They don't have the knowledge, ambition, or drive to learn new tasks like their forefathers.
Hey if my forefathers -- errrr, foreuncle? -- hadn't had the ambition to buy a new tractor, I wouldn't have old equipment to adapt. :devilish:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Maybe a fair assumption but definitly false. I have sold dozens of loader mounting bracket kits for 80 year old tractors. Just had 3 inquiries in the last two weeks. One of my best sellers.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Maybe a fair assumption but definitly false. I have sold dozens of loader mounting bracket kits for 80 year old tractors. Just had 3 inquiries in the last two weeks. One of my best sellers.

Dan
It baffles me just why anyone would put a loader on an 80 year old tractor (without power steering).
My 8N is now 72 years old, and I would never consider a loader.......unless I was 50 years younger, and had just successfully completed a Charles Atlas course.