Terrible looking but functional tiedown bracket

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
I'm a new welder, teaching myself fcaw. Here is my second weld project, 1/2" D style tie down point for when hauling my BX2380. Had a tree (sweetgum) on far side of small creek fallover in recent heavy rain. Used the homemade mount point with chain to drag the trunk up the creekbank. I had to bump it a few times to get the trunk up the bank where I am now more able to cut it into firewood. The mount point was welded using multiple passes. The weld looks terrible but amazingly enough held up to the task of an anchor point on the chain.

Dan

Attachments

Reactions: 8 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Not to bust you bubble - But a D-ring bolted would suffice - But I do understand a new skill and roll on!!!

Always better to pull from a center location when possible FWIW

1655817051451.png

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hey 85Hokie, he's welding a project for his use with his idea. Does it really matter if it 8" off center? ;) ;)

If we had a country of people who would take some initiate and create, build and use something they could/ would actually use this country wouldn't be in the fix it's in!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I never got welding figgerred out. Too many folks do it so well that I just get them to.
When you get better you can chuck that part and make a real purty one.
(y)

Reactions: 1 users

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Hey 85Hokie, he's welding a project for his use with his idea. Does it really matter if it 8" off center? ;) ;)

If we had a country of people who would take some initiate and create, build and use something they could/ would actually use this country wouldn't be in the fix it's in!!!!!
A couple notes on "Why".
I made one for each side of the tractor as tiedowns for securing it to my trailer when transporting. I wanted to fab up something start to finish, that's why I opted not using weld-on D-ring. Plus, I thought the potential for the D-ring bouncing around would drive me crazy (I mow a large very bumpy field). Since I am learning welding (self taught), I saw an opportunity to fab up something "useful" and to practice my welding (and cutting/grinding) skills. In the past I've just hooked around the frame. I know the tie-downs worked for load securement, but thought this was the perfect opportunity to "stress test" my welds. A successful test and I'm pleased - only me 2nd project and thickest material I've welded to-date.

Dan

Reactions: 3 users

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
I never got welding figgerred out. Too many folks do it so well that I just get them to.
(y)
That's the goal (after getting a better welder). Plus, I was lazy and used the rattle can black I already had for my trailer and didn't want to buy grey or orange. Next one will be better looking and a more suitable color.

Dan

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
(y)
It's something I've been interested in for a long time, but never really started. I owned the welder for well over a decade before I really started using it. I have projects, so I picked it back up again. My "hobbies" are all expensive.

Dan

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
A couple notes on "Why".
I made one for each side of the tractor as tiedowns for securing it to my trailer when transporting. I wanted to fab up something start to finish, that's why I opted not using weld-on D-ring. Plus, I thought the potential for the D-ring bouncing around would drive me crazy (I mow a large very bumpy field). Since I am learning welding (self taught), I saw an opportunity to fab up something "useful" and to practice my welding (and cutting/grinding) skills. In the past I've just hooked around the frame. I know the tie-downs worked for load securement, but thought this was the perfect opportunity to "stress test" my welds. A successful test and I'm pleased - only me 2nd project and thickest material I've welded to-date.

Dan

i put D-ring style ones on my 23s. the engine noise more than drowns out any potential rattles. good job on making your own stuff!!! I'm a big fan of DIY!!

im a hobby welder as well. had a little bit of trainign but for the most part self taught. my buddy who is a professional welder says there are "welders" and there are "grinders". welders make things pretty, grinders make things work!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Not to bust you bubble - But a D-ring bolted would suffice - But I do understand a new skill and roll on!!!

Always better to pull from a center location when possible FWIW

View attachment 82136
I get the "pulling from the center" position is technically the correct spot to pull from. But I'm curious....
Instead of doing like you mentioned.....you first welded the "bolt on" D ring to a small fish plate which was then welded to a larger fish plate which was then bolted through two larger steel plate framework on your tractor.

Couldn't you have just drilled two holes and used the bolt on D ring as intended by fastening it through your existing framework? It certainly would've been strong enough without the two extra spacer blocks between. The welds on the D ring bracket itself is the weak link in the setup?

• Haha

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
i put D-ring style ones on my 23s. the engine noise more than drowns out any potential rattles. good job on making your own stuff!!! I'm a big fan of DIY!!

im a hobby welder as well. had a little bit of trainign but for the most part self taught. my buddy who is a professional welder says there are "welders" and there are "grinders". welders make things pretty, grinders make things work!
That makes me a grinder! Along those lines, my favorite welding related quote "If you can't be a good welder or cutter, be a good grinder."

Dan

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
That makes me a grinder! Along those lines, my favorite welding related quote "If you can't be a good welder or cutter, be a good grinder."

Dan
we all gotta start somewhere!! when i need somethign heavy duty done, i get my buddy to help.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
My favorite welding quote from a professional welder, "I can weld anything but the crack of dawn." And he can!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
It's something I've been interested in for a long time, but never really started. I owned the welder for well over a decade before I really started using it. I have projects, so I picked it back up again. My "hobbies" are all expensive.

Dan
I can absolutely relate to your situation.
Years ago, I bought a really nice 250 amp Miller MIG welder, never used it, and sold it.
3 years ago, I bought a new Everlast 140e MIG, and a new Hobart Handler 190 MIG, and have never used either.
I am 81!
Time is running out!........
I have had good intentions,....... but I still do not know how to weld!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Fried1765, check with the local high school or junior college. They often offer classes taught by teachers who know how to teach and how to weld ( which makes a good combination) at a very low cost. You start with very basics like safety and proceed at your own pace. No intimidation, just learn how and why and what. You'd love it at any age!

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
The last time I got creative like that was with my old Husqvarna. I was getting stuck all the time and decided to add a removable winch. So, I used two carriage bolts standing proud on the bottom of the winch and they would drop through the round holes on the bracket I made and as I pulled, the bolts would go into the square portion of the hole to be retained. The welding was not a big deal, finding the drill bit to drill those holes was the hard part. :ROFLMAO:

The BX is taking care of my "getting stuck" problems now.

IMG_20180501_092531189_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180501_094141930.jpg
IMG_20180501_095649408.jpg
IMG_20180501_092731530.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
we all gotta start somewhere!! when i need somethign heavy duty done, i get my buddy to help.
If I knew anyone who welded, I'd ask for lessons :)
Good to have people like that around. Bartering isn't dead (yes, alcohol and food are considered bartering).

Dan

dan_m

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 9, 2020
Georgia
Fried1765, check with the local high school or junior college. They often offer classes taught by teachers who know how to teach and how to weld ( which makes a good combination) at a very low cost. You start with very basics like safety and proceed at your own pace. No intimidation, just learn how and why and what. You'd love it at any age!
Haven't checked high Schools, local colleges don't offer any part-time classes (one is really more like full time Mon-thur 5-10p). Haven't found any yet that offer weekend classes. There are a few weld fab shops around, maybe I'll just call a few and inquire.

Dan