I'm easily offended I guess...

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I just realized that I do not like the Ms replacement for MRS. or Miss.

I feel discriminated against! Why should I have to live with Mr. when the other gender can choose between three: Mrs., Miss, or Ms.

It's time all us guys to band together and DEMAND equality!

It is obvious that EVERYONE should simply be addressed as M. Nothing else is fair.

What the hell is wrong with this country?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I just realized that I do not like the Ms replacement for MRS. or Miss.

I feel discriminated against! Why should I have to live with Mr. when the other gender can choose between three: Mrs., Miss, or Ms.

It's time all us guys to band together and DEMAND equality!

It is obvious that EVERYONE should simply be addressed as M. Nothing else is fair.

What the hell is wrong with this country?
Lol, I've been answering to A-hole for the past 65 years and at this point I may get a little insulted if they called me mister or sir. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Maybe we use a different writing guide but north of the border? Ms is similar to Miss; however Ms is for single women, Miss is for young ladies, Mrs is to denote being married. Mr. is an adult male regardless of marriage status, and a young man used to be written/called Master i dont think i have seen that used in years though

Reactions: 5 users

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
The way it's headed, nobody will call anybody anything, they will just text each other and your phone will call you whatever you tell it to :cautious:

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I hate when people call me sir or Mr.
Makes me fell old!
Dag nab it I'm not old...
Just well seasoned!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Ms is not just for single female. As one of mine will tell you, " it is not of your damn business if I am married or single." Not so long ago being a Miss in the business world was frowned upon by the sexist at the top.
Another daughter can out shoot and out think most of the men around here. She has a couple of college degrees and as a civilian she reports to a four star. You can call her just about anything but you better do it with respect.

I may have raised all daughters but none of them are wimps.

Of all the names I have been called by I still prefer DAD.

Reactions: 2 users

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
This sounds like a thread for the woke population that don’t know if they, them or a he or she and need a safe space

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
This sounds like a thread for the woke population that don’t know if they, them or a he or she and need a safe space
AS much as I have tried, I can not under stand what "woke" really means...maybe I am waiting to be woke up? I suppose so...

I am really serious with respect to the woke reference...call me old and rigid I guess...I did wake up today, and hope I can say I woke up tomorrow...LOL...but you never know...

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
AS much as I have tried, I can not under stand what "woke" really means...maybe I am waiting to be woke up? I suppose so...
. . .
Don't feel bad, I've grappled with what it means. So I just looked it up.

Definition of woke
(Entry 1 of 2)
chiefly US slang
: aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)

Actually doesn't sound like a bad thing but I guess anyone can pervert it to their own ends.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
What is the definition of woman? Ok I am going to be cancelled. You all please thicken your skin.

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
What is the definition of woman? Ok I am going to be cancelled. You all please thicken your skin.
For me it was always different but equal...

But after having two daughters...and being required to ALWAYS put the toilet seat down after use as the years passed by...I am not sure anymore...LOL

Growing up in a male household, it was alway put the toilet seat up! LOLOL. We all adapt I suppose.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Woman: As you should know the definition is in the dictionary.
The question is just the "latest" hateful garbage from people unable or unwilling to face or discuss cultural issues that they do not like or understand.
Looks like this took a sour turn Henro and with that I will bow out of this thread.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I was out and about, and the casher asked me,, will that be all Sir, and where it came from I dont know but I looked and said, Dont call me Sir young Lady , I work for a living

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Maybe we use a different writing guide but north of the border? Ms is similar to Miss; however Ms is for single women, Miss is for young ladies, Mrs is to denote being married. Mr. is an adult male regardless of marriage status, and a young man used to be written/called Master i dont think i have seen that used in years though
What I remember from when Ms was invented, was that it could be used if a woman's marital status or preference for an honorific was unknown. It was respectful but neutral. I thought it was a nice idea because I hated being called Mrs xxcc maiden name, because that was my mother.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
"Woke" is what we used to call "Aware" or "Read" or "Informed" or "educated". But all of those words must be hard to spell or in some way offend someone's sensibilities. Clearly, 'educated' doesn't mean what it used to.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
It has been quite common in my career to routinely write professional, formal letters to a wide variety of people, some who I know well and some who I don’t know at all past the limited business at hand. When I first started, the variety of prefixes for women was still technically the correct proper form and, simply as a practical matter, the large majority of recipients were still male. Not knowing the marital status of a female recipient required a generic feminine honorific as, at least in the context I was generally within, marital status was entirely irrelevant. It seemed a bit silly that it was common when sending a letter to a female, regardless how accomplished or lofty her position, a prerequisite was to review any prior correspondence from them to see if they had provided the clue of referring to themselves as Mrs., Miss, or Ms. Some would get quite offended if not addressed with their preferred prefix. There was a subset who would also get offended if referred to as Ms. or even Mrs. Jane Smith; they had to be referred to as Mrs. John Smith. My mother was one of them, I never understood it, and she couldn’t ever explain it to where it made a lick of sense to me. It seemed the “Mrs. John Smith” stuff went out with addressing minors as “Master” and “Mistress”.

Personally I was glad to see a general societal trend toward acceptance of a generic “Ms.” and “Mr.” in formal correspondence. It feels a bit too personal to have a constant reminder of a professional contact’s marital status throughout a business deal, particularly when the roles are adversarial.

I do still have occasional issues with gender neutral names of people of whom I have little personal knowledge. Is Pat McCrory a Mr. or Ms.? How about Pat Benatar? (I can get those two but I’ve never written a letter to either so not useful knowledge.) For those I still sometimes have to use the full name without gender specific prefixes.

Last edited:

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Next time a female refers to you, or anyone one of us males as “Sir”, kindly respond with a thank you “Ma’am”.….and then watch for the response as your running away…lol.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
ITS MA'AM!!!!!!