Some of you may remember my Post about my B2601 breaking in half!

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Richmond, IN, United States
That’s the link from my post. An accident such as this has lasting effects of course. As of recent, I have had a problem moving the tractor. While I can fix most anything I need to know what needs to be fixed. I know some of you out there can tell me what is going on! You are who I am looking for.

I used my tractor to push over a dead tree down the road, once I was ready to leave I had a loss of power, Hydraulic power that is, It was screaming as I pressed the pedal forward and aft. It would barely move. This is across all gears and ranges, forward and aft.

I serviced the fluid to make sure that was not the issue. I’m thinking clutch? But I’m not a tractor mechanic; I have 20 plus years on fighters and bombers lol. They are not the same!

I was able to limp it home, shifting from low to high and back. It was start to slow and the harder I pushed the more it strained!

It now has got to the point where it will barely move at all, I have some movement of the bucket but that’s marginal at best. I was able to roll the bucket enough to remove the front tire to reseal a bead.

Help me out please, before I tear open the case I want an idea of what I need to look for and possible pre-order the parts so I can swap ASAP.

Egressman

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nope, you don't have a clutch disk.
It could be the input shaft or coupling is stripped.

But with the amount of work that has been done really anything is possible.

You can to a PTO spin test, that might help narrow it down.
Start it and engage the PTO, watch to see if it spins while you try to move the tractor, if it keeps spinning while it won't move, then your issue is most likely HST or beyond.
If the PTO stops or slows exponentially then your issue is more than likely before the HST.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Nope, you don't have a clutch disk.
It could be the input shaft or coupling is stripped.

But with the amount of work that has been done really anything is possible.

You can to a PTO spin test, that might help narrow it down.
Start it and engage the PTO, watch to see if it spins while you try to move the tractor, if it keeps spinning while it won't move, then your issue is most likely HST or beyond.
If the PTO stops or slows exponentially then your issue is more than likely before the HST.
Then what is the clutch for on my 2601? I see a PTO clutch but there is also a larger clutch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't have a travel clutch on that model.
Only a PTO (hydraulic) clutch pack.
You have 2 pedals on the left hand side right, they are both brake pedals.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It is a clutch HOUSING, and this is what's inside of that housing.
NO clutch!
Just a hub (60) that bolts to the Flywheel (fig No. 0103xx) in the picture.

You really don't believe me when I tell you, you don't have a clutch do you? :unsure:

B2601 Clutch housing.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Then what is the clutch for on my 2601? I see a PTO clutch but there is also a larger clutch.
OK, I must ask.

If you think that one of the pedals on the left side is a clutch pedal, are you pushing it (applying the brake) causing the tractor to stall???

SDT

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Did I understand correctly that the bucket barely moves? If so, sounds like the pump is shot, or a line is clogged and that whine you hear is the pressure relief.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
ACDII, does bring up some interesting points.

It does sound like there is a hydraulic issue.
Could be as simple as the three point linkage or feedback control putting the tractor into bypass.

Check fluid levels and condition while your checking it all out.

Reactions: 1 users

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
ACDII, does bring up some interesting points.

It does sound like there is a hydraulic issue.
Could be as simple as the three point linkage or feedback control putting the tractor into bypass.

Check fluid levels and condition while your checking it all out.
I believe, but not 100% sure the 3 pt is separate from this. Yes, the same pump services both motion and 3 pt operation as well as the bucket and steering.

I know my Hyd Control valve for the 3 pt in not working. That's a separate issue I am going to deal with when I open the case up. The shaft for the upper link arms was striking the Hyd Control valve. When it did it broke the cast mounting point for the valve. That allowed the o ring to be blown out and pressure would escape from under the valve. This caused the 3 pt to become non-operational.

To address bypass mode, what is meant by this. I know that I can steer, run pto, lift bucket and raise aand lower 3 pt all at the same time. What are we bypassing and why?

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Did I understand correctly that the bucket barely moves? If so, sounds like the pump is shot, or a line is clogged and that whine you hear is the pressure relief.
Friend just had his old tractor worked on, 3 pt wouldn't raise the tiller anymore. Found out his filter was clogged. Could my problem just be a filter issue?

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Friend just had his old tractor worked on, 3 pt wouldn't raise the tiller anymore. Found out his filter was clogged. Could my problem just be a filter issue?
yep it could be that simple and easy a fix

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I believe, but not 100% sure the 3 pt is separate from this. Yes, the same pump services both motion and 3 pt operation as well as the bucket and steering.

I know my Hyd Control valve for the 3 pt in not working. That's a separate issue I am going to deal with when I open the case up. The shaft for the upper link arms was striking the Hyd Control valve. When it did it broke the cast mounting point for the valve. That allowed the o ring to be blown out and pressure would escape from under the valve. This caused the 3 pt to become non-operational.

To address bypass mode, what is meant by this. I know that I can steer, run pto, lift bucket and raise aand lower 3 pt all at the same time. What are we bypassing and why?
This is even more enlightening / concerning as yes all four systems (FEL, HST, Steering, Three point) use the same hydraulic loop to make them work.
Any issue with one in line can effect everything else.
How did you bypass / go around the broken three point control?

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
OK, I must ask.

If you think that one of the pedals on the left side is a clutch pedal, are you pushing it (applying the brake) causing the tractor to stall???

SDT
SDT, Obviously, you didn't read the original post. I repaired this tractor after it was broke in half, do you honestly think I would not know it has duel braking? Would I have bought a tractor and not known what the two pedals are for on the left?

When asking about the clutch I am refering to whats in side the case, not that I have a clutch pedal on a HST Tractor!

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
This is even more enlightening / concerning as yes all four systems (FEL, HST, Steering, Three point) use the same hydraulic loop to make them work.
Any issue with one in line can effect everything else.
How did you bypass / go around the broken three point control?
The 3pt issue never effected operation of the tractor other than I could no longer raise or lower the arms any longer.