My B2601 broke in half!

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Re: My B2601 broke in half! Link is to the Album!

OUCH! That should buff right out. Hope the occupants in the vehicle that was towing it are OK?

Last edited:

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Damn, that sucks! Glad to hear everyone is ok though.

I'm all for doing my own repairs but that's getting a little extreme. It looks fairly new, I'd hope that you have insurance on the tractor along with the Jeep and trailer. This should be the time to go pick out a new one. That could take months to repair and maybe still not be right again.

Good luck either way.

BillK01

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, LP 1560 back blade, Front mount snow blower, Ferris ISX800 ZTR
Mar 17, 2017
Near Pittsburgh, PA
Just curious.. the circumstances around the accident?

Edit - missed your original link about the facts. That sucks. Do you feel that this could have been avoided if the trailer were a tandem axle? Hope you get things fixed up.

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
glad you are not injured & crying for the tractor....

2nd thought was that was too much tractor for the little trailer & too much combo for your jeep.

this is gonna be a MAJOR rebuild job & look forward to seeing you tackle it.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Yikes! Glad you're ok. WOW!

seeing pics like this makes me feel better about carrying KTAC insurance.

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
At the risk of being flamed for “I told you so”, now is not the time to criticize for this accident. I have seen too many posters on this forum say they have enough trailer to tow their tractor & can’t see spending any more than necessary to do so. Their justification is “I am not going that far.” Most of the posts discuss about how much the trailer can hold versus the weight of the tractor, but nothing about the placement or equalizing the load. Making sure of proper amount of tongue weight, trailer length, single or tandem wheels, brakes, sway control, tow vehicle wheel base, load capacity, etc. I was once one of those who thought what I had was enough trailer & after splattering the load all over the road, jack knifing the trailer, & bending an axle on the truck because of improper loading, I now have trailers equipped with breakaways, brakes, spare tires & are the proper weight & length for the load, along with a tow vehicle designed for towing. I cannot fathom how someone can spend over $20,000 for a tractor & not spend a fraction of that for a proper trailer to protect your investment.
Egressman best of luck recovering from this, been there done that, & have the T-shirt.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have a handle on what need to be done to get it fixed, if you need anything specific just ask! ;)

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
Well I have been on the fence about getting insurance on my tractor, this just convinced me to take the plunge. My insurance mans says my tractor is covered, but only while on MY property. It's only a couple hundred a year with a rider on my home owners. Dealers only about 40 miles away but anything can happen in those 40 miles.

Don't think I could do a job like this, nor would I want to. Good luck with the repair.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
^^ my homeowners covers my tractors "at home"

my car/truck insurance has a rider on it specifically for my trailer & anything on it..

then my tractor insurance covers it anywhere/anytime... as long as IM the person using it & its not being loaned/borrowed or rented out.

once you start getting into the 20K & above range? its crazy not to have insurance on these unless you are rich & can just get another out of pocket cash.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Richmond, IN, United States
At the risk of being flamed for “I told you so”, now is not the time to criticize for this accident. I have seen too many posters on this forum say they have enough trailer to tow their tractor & can’t see spending any more than necessary to do so. Their justification is “I am not going that far.” Most of the posts discuss about how much the trailer can hold versus the weight of the tractor, but nothing about the placement or equalizing the load. Making sure of proper amount of tongue weight, trailer length, single or tandem wheels, brakes, sway control, tow vehicle wheel base, load capacity, etc. I was once one of those who thought what I had was enough trailer & after splattering the load all over the road, jack knifing the trailer, & bending an axle on the truck because of improper loading, I now have trailers equipped with breakaways, brakes, spare tires & are the proper weight & length for the load, along with a tow vehicle designed for towing. I cannot fathom how someone can spend over $20,000 for a tractor & not spend a fraction of that for a proper trailer to protect your investment.
Egressman best of luck recovering from this, been there done that, & have the T-shirt.
No worries! The Jeep is rated for 5500 Lbs, Equipped with brake controller. The trailer while one axle is rated for 6000 Lbs. It does have brakes also. You are correct about tongue weight, that's where I went wrong. I think the front wheels were a little lite do to the box scraper being off the trailer resting on the tongue. The Jeep wasn't squatting at all. My take is, I was moving from one lane to another. I was on the gas when making the lane change. It was misting rain and the roads were already wet. When it kicked out it slammed me into the wall and I was just riding at that point. I got on the brakes to keep from hitting the other wall head on. I think as the power was delivered to the trailer because I locked them up it caused me to spin past 180 degrees. When the trailer brakes finely locked is when the trailer rolled. The tractor was still strapped to the trailer when it was over.

Live and learn, Jesus took the wheel so I can tell the story. We can all get something out of it.

Reactions: 1 user

JustinB60

Equipment
LX2610 w/LA535, QH15, PL1242
Mar 31, 2018
USA
You said above that you own a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, hope you accidentally left out Grand before the Cherokee because if not your vehicle tow rating is only 2,000 lb. If you have the add on trailer tow package it goes up to 4500. If It is the latter then you may have been over 4500 depending on what trailer weighs (tractor w/ FEL and box blade probably 2800ish).

I think this is weights of B2601:
1632 for the machine
559 for the bare FEL boom
~200 for a bucket (Depends what kind)
Box scraper 300-400ish depending on size

Jeep tow information:
https://www.jeep.com/jeep-capabilities/towing.html

Box blade weight info:
https://kubota.ca/getmedia/1f9a068d-acc1-463f-9caa-436e8e43a179/BB12-Specs-EN?ext=.pdf

Last edited: