Extreme Cold weather operation

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
The owner's manual for the 23S has instructions for operating the PTO when not on the tractor. You don't have to "trick" the seat switch (unless they've changed something).

91diesel

Equipment
BX23S Homemade hyd toplink and pallet forks, Agriease/Nor-Trac snowblower
Dec 31, 2021
Fairbanks, AK
No, you're correct. If you unlock the seat on the bx23s and lift it up you'll be good to go (dang reading instructions! who does that?)

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
No, you're correct. If you unlock the seat on the bx23s and lift it up you'll be good to go (dang reading instructions! who does that?)
Putting a jumper between the terminals of the seat switch accomplishes the same thing. My old BX22 didn't have any of these new seat switches to drive you crazy.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Nope! the nanny staters win again! in N, parking brake set, tractor will shut off with pto engaged if you're not in the seat. I just picked up a 50" pto snowblower, so it'd be nice to have it warming up a bit as well. Guess I'll go to the fake weight trick.
Your post leads me to the conclusion that you are going to leave the tractor running with the PTO engaged and the snow blower turning while the tractor warms up. I am hoping that I just do not understand what you are going to do. Leaving a PTO operated implement running while you are not in the seat or very near the tractor is a very dangerous thing to do.

91diesel

Equipment
BX23S Homemade hyd toplink and pallet forks, Agriease/Nor-Trac snowblower
Dec 31, 2021
Fairbanks, AK
Not at just above idle speed in the middle of a cleared out piece of land with the parking brake on it isn't. It also allows me to give the blower a once around while it's slowly rotating to look and listen for any problems from the day before. I'm near the tractor

Reactions: 2 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I'd have to trick the seat switch to run the PTO, otherwise the tractor shuts off if I'm not sitting on it.
Most Kubota’s, if you tip the seat up against the steering wheel, you can run the PTO without pressure on the seat sensor.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Been minus 40 here all week. When it gets that cold I will use the block heater .

I could be right or wrong, but I don't agree with the manual saying to apply half throttle or higher when starting and warming up. I start all mine at idle, then let them idle for a bit before I bring the RPM up a BIT.

Then as others have said, I'll go have a coffee or do my hand shoveling around doors and decks for 20 minutes before I put it to work.
Biggest concern is letting the transmission/hydraulic oil warm up before putting them under stress.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
Just a thought. For a gear transmission the tranny is somewhat warming up because it’s turning with the engine at idle. For a Hydro if you where really concerned about loosening it up you could put the range selector in neutral, brakes on. Then if you were comfortable making a seat safety switch jumper for these special conditions you can depress the foot peddle (Need something to hold the foot peddle depressed somewhat). Now you have hydro pumping and flowing without moving the tractor.

RMS

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, RCR1260, PFL1242, LX2963, RB1684, WC-68 Chipper,Flail Mower
Sep 26, 2021
Buckfield Maine
Newbie question,, Is it ever too cold to run your tractor? What comes to mind are hydraulic hoses too cold/brittle and anything else that might be over stressed due to temperature.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Newbie question,, Is it ever too cold to run your tractor? What comes to mind are hydraulic hoses too cold/brittle and anything else that might be over stressed due to temperature.
Well several years of minus 40 (minus 50 with wind chill) with everything from little Kubota to full size Cat's and no issues. Just proper warm up time.
Anything colder than that, I would not want to be out in it anyway, LOL

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I agree, warm the tractor up first and then work it! Same sub zero winter temps here in North Dakota. Once the tractor is warmed up, it needs to be worked to keep the engine temp up in that mid range. The longer the better, all to burn off any condensation that might have been built up inside the engine upon shut down from the last use.

Jwd55

Equipment
B2620, loader, mmm, bush hog, post hole driller, load all, 5" 3point blade,rake
Nov 20, 2017
Fairfax, iowa
Ok, new here and I did use search with 3 different phrases.
My question is what people think about operation in extremely cold weather? (-5 to -30*f) Just as far as not damaging the tractor goes. It's in the -20's here in Fairbanks AK and although I don't want to go clear mine and other's driveways, a big dump of snow came before the cold weather and I must. My BX23s was bought here and is 'winterized' with a block heater and an oil pan heater (oil pan is shorted I think, so currently not used). I start the tractor, let it run at a little bit of a high idle first. Then I will move the FEL rams in short movements (not the full throw and at a low rpm 1700). Then I'll bring the rpms up to 2200-2500 and drive the tractor in low and work the FEL to more full throws. After this I'll start working the tractor. Like my 12 valve Dodge cummins, the tractor won't really warm up until you start working it some (as far as the temp gauge goes). Any thoughts, opinions, facts, or conjectures are appreciated.
For instance, would you just say clear your own driveway at -10 and below and refuse working on neighbors (for money) or just follow the slow use warm up and use it as a tractor!
So far I have had good luck with Stanadyne diesel fuel additive or power serv, Delo 5w-40 synthetic oil, super UTD in trans, block heater. More additive the colder it gets and longer warm up time.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here in northeast North Dakota my Kubota B2650 gets used in actual temps of -35°F and routinely in temps well below 0° F. Growing up on the farm, our tractors always had winter front kits on them for their winter duties. I made this 3 piece winter front kit for my B2650 for its winter duties. Without it ...... in below 0° temps the B2650 would never warm up. With the winter fronts installed the B2650 can warm up quickly and operate in those extremely cold temps while showing mid range and above on the temp gauge.
Benefits: Any condensation in the engine boils off, the fuel stays warm under the hood, same for the hydraulic oil, no snow ingestion into the air intake clogging the air filter, and the heater output in the cab is substantially more. Here's a pic of the B2650 winter front covers:
Kubota B2650 Winter Front Kit.jpg

If interested, I also make a set for your LX2610, and a few other models. Here's the LX model:
LX2610 Winter Front Kit.JPG