Need grease gun - new L2501 owner

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don’t know why some people are insulted when another person offers info to “unknowlegeable people“ and think every internet post is addressed directly to THEM. (they must think they are ignorant, heh?).

If I’d addressed my previous post “To all Idiots”… I guess you would have immediately thought I was talking to YOU , heh RCW & jazz……?? (Since, by your responses, you leapt to the conclusion that my comments were sent to you personally.). :rolleyes:

NOTICE TO ALL: My previous comments were intended to help people who are unfamiliar with grease, grease-guns, and have little experience with greasing equipment and experiencing problems with the task. They are NOT addressed to internet-insecurity ignoramuses who don’t know who they are.

Carry on all….

Last edited:

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Geo,
while I didn’t take your original post personally sometimes it’s not the message you are trying to send but the tone. It did come across as “hey for all you ignorant people“. If you truly want to help, maybe toning it down a bit will get your message across both in the original post and your follow up.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Geo,
while I didn’t take your original post personally sometimes it’s not the message you are trying to send but the tone. It did come across as “hey for all you ignorant people“. If you truly want to help, maybe toning it down a bit will get your message across both in the original post and your follow up.
Thanks Goz… I understand what you mean. The internet does not convey “tone” and I am indeed retired from a career which included a couple decades as a professional instructor. Sometimes I do come across as “didactic” and don’t recognize it.

My apologies for my snotty response.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks Goz… I understand what you mean. The internet does not convey “tone” and I am indeed retired from a career which included a couple decades as a professional instructor. Sometimes I do come across as “didactic” and don’t recognize it.

George - -

No worries on my part. I took no offense before or now, even though you called me an ignoramus…… ;) Maybe if the shoe fits…. :oops:

My response was laden with sarcasm, which sometimes doesn’t translate well in writing.

My intent was a response to the “tone” as someone could perceive it.

Fordtech and others obviously caught it. Others may not.

However, it does speak to Goz’s point. Sometimes a message can be well-intended, but the delivery can cause misinterpretation. Inherent to the written word

Happens to all of us on occasion. Trust me, I don’t come to OTT to incite discourse.

Take care. ;)

Last edited:

Goz63

Equipment
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi

Geo,
Happens to me too. I have been an AF instructor most of my career and it comes out now and then. By The Way I didn’t know you could adjust the nozzle on an grease gun so ya did learned me somthin lol.

Goz63

Equipment
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
So my lock-n-lube connection arrived today. Quick easy change out. Tried on one of the fittings. Have to say that really is easy to use. Came with replacement guts too. First impressions are good.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Powered grease guns are great for greasing pins on loaders, backhoes and other things. Greasing bearings, u-joints and other items with seals they can cause damage by blowing out the seals if you aren’t very careful leading to premature failure of the item.

MOTOROLANUT

Equipment
Grand L4240, LA854 FEL
Apr 25, 2021
West Virginia
Been using pneumatic guns for 20 years as a prior truck fleet mechanic and now battery operated guns. Never ruined a seal yet, guess I am blessed. :whistle:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
So my lock-n-lube connection arrived today. Quick easy change out. Tried on one of the fittings. Have to say that really is easy to use. Came with replacement guts too. First impressions are good.
Hmmm...I don't think mine came with any rebuild parts 8 years ago.....

I know dirtydeed is done here, but wondering if they did have issues similar to his.

OrYgun

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2021 Kubota L2501
May 7, 2021
Oregon
Well. Watched a few videos… decided on the German made Lube shuttle. Unfortunately you have to use their lube, it does appear to be built well and operate as it should. Also decided to try the LnL. Buy once, cry once. Thanks for the responses from everyone. I’ll keep you updated when it arrives.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
Hey guys. I’m at 10hrs on my L2501. Looking for some advice on grease guns, types of grease, and how many zerks to find on L2501.

Thanks y’all.
Home Depot current sale on a Ryobi cordless grease gun is $149 including battery and charger. Very good price and is supposed to be a decent tool.

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
Based on the pile of defunct grease guns at my workshop's trashcan - I must be way too friggin stupid to operate a grease gun. I've even watched youtube videos to do the air bleed and cock the rod - and still the damned thing won't squirt with any reliability. Just today - another 2/3 tube of grease chucked in the trash. And - that greasy grimy slicker than snot mess that just permeates its very existence. Is there a grease gun for poor dummies out there?

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Based on the pile of defunct grease guns at my workshop's trashcan - I must be way too friggin stupid to operate a grease gun. I've even watched youtube videos to do the air bleed and cock the rod - and still the damned thing won't squirt with any reliability. Just today - another 2/3 tube of grease chucked in the trash. And - that greasy grimy slicker than snot mess that just permeates its very existence. Is there a grease gun for poor dummies out there?
I have felt your pain. I recently bought a Ryobi battery powered grease gun. Easy to load and use. It pumps the grease like a beast. No more than 3 seconds needed per fitting. It was made in Japan like the Kubota. They speak the same language (when no one is around) and are quite compatible.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Like others have said, get the Lock-N-Lube tip for the gun. Which grease gun depends on your pocket book. If you have a cordless tool set that you are using (DeWalt, Ryobi, etc.) then look at getting a battery operated gun for the battery platform you are on. I have the DeWalt platform and I really like my battery grease gun.

When it comes to which grease to use, good luck. Everyone has an opinion and each person can find an article supporting his/her opinion. The video that Elliott linked is one I used when I was making my choice of which lube to go with. The important thing, make sure you are greasing with whichever brand you decided on, because leaving the grease in the tube isn't doing your tractor any good.
Yup......
Don't hyperventilate over which type grease or which brand to use.
Just do it, and use a battery powered grease gun with Lock-N-Lube.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

This ignoramus had to look up the word "didactic", and for all the rest of us ignoramuses, it means.... in the manner of a teacher, particularly so as to treat someone in a patronizing way.

(just keeping the thread light and interesting, as long as we are all poking fun at each other with no intention of offending anyone).

• Haha

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Based on the pile of defunct grease guns at my workshop's trashcan -..... Is there a grease gun for poor dummies out there?
If they're Alemite guns, throw them my way. I've got the same Alemite pistol grip manual gun I bought in 1992 when I opened my shop.... only because I liked the one I rescued and repaired from the scrap iron pile at my previous employer. That 40 year old one is in the barn with the Kubota. I've never used and have no intention of owning a battery operated gun. If I have that many fittings to lube up on the gold mine in the Yukon, I'll have an air operated 120 lb drum model.

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
I have felt your pain. I recently bought a Ryobi battery powered grease gun. Easy to load and use. It pumps the grease like a beast. No more than 3 seconds needed per fitting. It was made in Japan like the Kubota. They speak the same language (when no one is around) and are quite compatible.
Being i have hordes of those Ryobi 18v batteries......I just may find one of those battery powered grease guns in my collection. My only beef with Ryobi has to do with their battery chargers. I really like to flip on my workshop stereo and listen to the radio. But! I have to unplug the Ryobi charges as they cause so much RFI that nothing is audible except the scratchy noise. There ought to be a law..............oh wait - there is - and Ryobi could care less.....

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Being i have hordes of those Ryobi 18v batteries......I just may find one of those battery powered grease guns in my collection. My only beef with Ryobi has to do with their battery chargers. I really like to flip on my workshop stereo and listen to the radio. But! I have to unplug the Ryobi charges as they cause so much RFI that nothing is audible except the scratchy noise. There ought to be a law..............oh wait - there is - and Ryobi could care less.....
I had read somewhere that the Japanese are hated by most of their asian neighbors due to their historically aggressive and militaristic nature. Outwardly they appear small and timid but once organized they are eager to be lead. To my children Pearl Harbor means nothing. Might be bad form or "racist" to even teach about it in todays schools. When I was a boy in the 1960's "Made in Japan" meant junk from the enemy. Sorry in advance if this offends anyone. I have no problem with asian folk.