Need grease gun - new L2501 owner

OrYgun

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2021 Kubota L2501
May 7, 2021
Oregon
Hey guys. I’m at 10hrs on my L2501. Looking for some advice on grease guns, types of grease, and how many zerks to find on L2501.

Thanks y’all.

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I have this one and I couldn’t be happier. I would buy this again.

Reactions: 2 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
get the lock-n-lube tip........ and if you have the bucks, a battery operated grease gun. This combo makes greasing almost fun.....until you get grease on your shirt your wife just bought you.:eek: btdt.... twice!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
On my front loader I use a grease with molybdenum disulfide. I use the same stuff on most of my zerk fittings as well. For roller or ball bearings I suggest a good quality lithium grease. Your operator manual should show where the fittings are located. I don't grease a tractor often enough to warrant (in my mind) a high dollar grease gun. I do have two. One has the expected flexible hose while the other has a short rigid pipe for popping straight on to fittings which are accessible that way.

Reactions: 4 users

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
One other thing I have found to go with your new grease gun…….go to a parts store and get a long line for the gun to fitting. Like 18”. Usually guns come with a 12” line. The longer line helps you to reach fittings under the tractor with the gin resting on the floor rather than trying to hold the gun up and be in a strain with a short line.

Reactions: 1 user

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
If you have a preference on brand and have cordless tools and chargers look into a battery operated grease gun.

I had 20v Dewalt batteries so I go the Dewalt grease gun. Cost was about $120 for the bare tool only.

I have 21 fittings on my tractor with loader, the battery operated gun makes it a breeze.

I did add the lock-n-lube fitting as well, I can get to all 21 fittings with it.

Pick you poison on grease, I use Amsoil heavy duty with moly for everything from the tractor to my disk harrow, mower etc....

Best of luck and happy greasing.

Jay

Reactions: 2 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I ordered the LockNLube one a while back. It is pretty good. I still got air lock in it some, but it appears to be better made than most.

I will say, DO NOT buy one from Harbor Freight. I thought it would be good enough. It turns out, mine is allowing grease to go around the plunger and back into the body of the grease gun. The threads on the gun are very fine and if you tighten the head of the gun too much, it will continue to turn. It is junk.

A longer hose is handy. I have a 36" hose on one gun. It is a must on my zero turn, but not as important on my tractor.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Like others have said, get the Lock-N-Lube tip for the gun. Which grease gun depends on your pocket book. If you have a cordless tool set that you are using (DeWalt, Ryobi, etc.) then look at getting a battery operated gun for the battery platform you are on. I have the DeWalt platform and I really like my battery grease gun.

When it comes to which grease to use, good luck. Everyone has an opinion and each person can find an article supporting his/her opinion. The video that Elliott linked is one I used when I was making my choice of which lube to go with. The important thing, make sure you are greasing with whichever brand you decided on, because leaving the grease in the tube isn't doing your tractor any good.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I bought this one when I found out my new to me G2160 had more grease fittings than I have ever seen in my life on one machine :D and also how far under the machine and over the 60" deck. My air powered gun had given up the ghost years ago and my hand powered one was very awkward to use on this new "beast" so got one of these when I found it on sale at Farm & Fleet Amazon.com: DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Grease Gun (DCGG571M1) digital-camera,Yellow,V11 Torque : Automotive Since I have a 20V DeWalt leaf blower as well this was a no brainer. It is HEAVY but it makes greasing so much easier

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
JMHO, if you grease things regularly;

1. you are ahead of 9 out of 10 people out there

2. it doesn't really matter what type grease you use.

Doc

Reactions: 3 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Hey guys. I’m at 10hrs on my L2501. Looking for some advice on grease guns, types of grease, and how many zerks to find on L2501.

Thanks y’all.
Check you manual for grease spots. If you have a separate loader manual be sure to check it as well. I number them in the manuals. Then I count as I go around just to be sure I am not missing one. It is quite easy to do.

FWIW I use the Milwaukee M18 grease gun with a lock n lube tip, its fantastic. If you buy 1 thing, make it the LnL tip. Cant tell you how many knuckles I busted over the years without one.

For grease, I buy Kubota stuff...it isn't that much more expensive. I buy bulk, it lasts for years.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
I use the Lock-n-Lube pistol grip grease gun. I have the green one, not the professional, because I simply don't use it often enough to warrant the higher price.

For grease I use Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty grease. It is relatively inexpensive and is waterproof so it won't wash out when working in wet locations.

There is a thread on the forum somewhere that has some useful technical information about the differences and compatibilities between various types of grease, but I keep it simple and use the same stuff for everything.

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I use the Lock-n-Lube pistol grip grease gun. I have the green one, not the professional, because I simply don't use it often enough to warrant the higher price.

For grease I use Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty grease. It is relatively inexpensive and is waterproof so it won't wash out when working in wet locations.

There is a thread on the forum somewhere that has some useful technical information about the differences and compatibilities between various types of grease, but I keep it simple and use the same stuff for everything.
I have 2, the professional one and the green one. The professional (yellow) is the best grease gun I’ve ever used. The green one is ok, but in comparison, the yellow is much nicer.
The pistol grip is very nice. I can easily grease everything without feeling the need to have an electric pump.
Either way, what someone posted before is correct. If you grease at all, with any type of grease, you are way ahead of a lot of people.

Reactions: 1 users

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas

Second!

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I nearly bought the Milwaukee but was not happy it was made in China while the DeWalt proudly showed Made in USA plus was nearly $50 cheaper thanks to the special sale F&F had going

Reactions: 1 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey

I’ve been in need of a new gun and this is what i was Going to buy as well.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Not sure why everyone swears by the lock-n-lube. I swear at it. :mad:It worked great for about a year, now it just leaks grease like a sieve. It's a POS in my honest opinion. Save yourself $30 and go with a standard fitting.