Need grease gun - new L2501 owner

MattN03

Equipment
2011 B3200, LA504 FEL w/B2366 SSQA conversion, BH76 BH, EA Wicked 55
Sep 5, 2016
KY
After owning my B3200 for a little over 5 years, I finally broke down and bought a Dewalt 20v grease gun to go along with all my other Dewalt 20v tools.

I should have done this 5 years ago...lol

Reactions: 1 user

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Not sure why everyone swears by the lock-n-lube. I swear at it. :mad:It worked great for about a year, now it just leaks grease like a sieve. It's a POS in my honest opinion. Save yourself $30 and go with a standard fitting.
Maybe you just need to rebuild kit for the lock and lube end?

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have several Ryobi battery powered tools and added their grease gun a few months ago. I always hated the manual grease guns. It now takes 2 or 3 seconds to grease a fitting. I put the lock n lube device on it. There is one fitting on the mower driveshaft coupling that I cant seem to connect to but otherwise its effortless and fast. Bought it ,the lock n lube device ,Valvoline red grease ,and a Pats quick hitch at the same time on Amazon. All for my new B2601. I must have been feeling rich.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not sure why everyone swears by the lock-n-lube. I swear at it. :mad:It worked great for about a year, now it just leaks grease like a sieve. It's a POS in my honest opinion. Save yourself $30 and go with a standard fitting.
Really?!?! Leaks at the end, as if jaws aren't locking, so it's really a "not-lock-n-do nothing", except make a mess?

Couple folks I've seen complain barrel is too big, but nothing for leaks as I recall.

I've had one several years without issue, and can get at any spot I need to. I swallowed hard to spend $30 for a grease coupler, but have been very happy with it. I moved it right away to my Milwaukee 18v Fuel gun this year.

Do you think you got a dud?

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
I have several Ryobi battery powered tools and added their grease gun a few months ago. I always hated the manual grease guns. It now takes 2 or 3 seconds to grease a fitting. I put the lock n lube device on it. There is one fitting on the mower driveshaft coupling that I cant seem to connect to but otherwise its effortless and fast. Bought it ,the lock n lube device ,Valvoline red grease ,and a Pats quick hitch at the same time on Amazon. All for my new B2601. I must have been feeling rich.
How do you like the pats quick hitch so far? They look to be well built and work good

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
How do you like the pats quick hitch so far? They look to be well built and work good
Installing it was a challenge as the attachment holes on the Kubota hitch are heavily painted. Took much longer than expected. I assembled a stake bed sided carry all using the Tractor Supply provided frame that I soon hope to use carting around leaves and tree cuttings . It should work well with the Pats quick hitch. Have not used it yet.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Ok y’all. I broke down and ordered the lock-n-lube. I do hate having to get the right angle and pressure and the maintain while I pump the grease.
some day I will get the Milwaukee fuel grease gun. Can’t swing the $180 right now. Still getting stuff to tweak the tractor.
my next purchase will the carry all for the three point. Would love the King Kutter version but can’t get it here without doubling the price with shipping. Will have to go with the TSC version.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Installing it was a challenge as the attachment holes on the Kubota hitch are heavily painted. Took much longer than expected. I assembled a stake bed sided carry all using the Tractor Supply provided frame that I soon hope to use carting around leaves and tree cuttings . It should work well with the Pats quick hitch. Have not used it yet.
Gotta love it. Well keep us posted with an update

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Really?!?! Leaks at the end, as if jaws aren't locking, so it's really a "not-lock-n-do nothing", except make a mess?

Do you think you got a dud?
That's correct. It does a really poor job locking on the grease fitting. So, grease doesn't get where it needs to. Like I said, worked great for about a year, now its a POS. Not something that I would recommend to anyone.

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
The only time I have that problem with mine is when the zerk is blocked with orange paint. I found that on a few of the zerks on my new LX. I simply scraped the paint off with a small screwdriver. I also keep that screwdriver handy to clear the debris from on and around the zerks when I grease the tractor, especially the backhoe.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
For something as simple as a grease-gun and zerk-nozzle it’s surprising how many are unfamiliar with how it works.
The nozzle on original guns is adjustable. If you look at the barrel, it can be seen to rotate versus the NPT fitting (where it screws onto the hose-end or delivery-tube-end….. and that differential adjustment is what decides how tightly the nozzle will “grip” the zerk fitting.
If the nozzle is not properly adjusted it will not grip the zerk… and it will leak grease all over instead of delivering it into the zerk. It will also “pop” off the zerk and generally frustrate you.
The “Lock-n-Load” pleases many folks who don’t understand the system because LnL design has an “over-grip” which is factory-adjusted and the thumb-lever basically re-adjusts that each time it is placed on a zerk. If an original nozzle were properly adjusted …and if the zerks are all the same sizes not having been substituted by an unknowledgeable person resulting in variously-sized zerks…. then an ordinary grease gun and nozzle will work fine.

Just because it is relatively expensive (and because my original guns all work fine) I refused to buy a LnL ….until I visited HF and saw their cheap copy.…so I bought it and it works fine. (Don’t know about the other posters’ experience…my HF “LnL” works fine. I do not plan to buy another however as I don’t find it as convenient to get into tight spaces as the original (and properly adjusted) nozzles. (I have 5 grease guns with 5 different specialty greases.)

Back in the early ‘60s a new invention hit the market…. the electric can-opener. Most of us in middle-class families found that especially humorous …that some folks had ”more dollars than sense” to spend good money on a labor-saving device that was further lazy-ed up with electricity. LOL. For goodness sakes! Too lazy to open a CAN..?? LOL

Of course, a few years later and we all had electric can openers. Then we got tired of the darn things sitting and taking-up kitchen-counter-space and they always acquired a greasy-food-particle gearing-system that had unknown pathogens living on it.
My house has reverted to an old-style hand-cranked can opener that un-seals the rim rather than cutting the lid ….and it is quick, easy, and remains clean. The lids of the cans can also be put back onto the can for temporary re-sealing of the unused contents if necessary

I have to say…. I’m rolling my eyes at you guys who buy an automatic grease-gun…. the pneumatic ones at the professional-shops I can understand….but the expensive, environmentally unfriendly chineese-lithium-battery-driven ones are especially egregious to my present thinking. ( I figure it’ll be at least 2 more years before I own 5 of them.) :ROFLMAO:

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I used my manual grease gun with a standard head today on my rotary cutter and finish mower - no problems. Would a cooler grease gun make it easier, I guess, but the grease gun part of the process was easy. Getting the zerks in the right position especially on the PTO shafts is the hard part. I will stick with my low tech gun and high temp grease for everything.

Reactions: 1 users
D

Deleted member 47704

Dewalt cordless is the only way to fly, I got one because I have other DeWalt cordless tools and have the batts and charger already, the bare tool is inexpensive.

Not realy fond of the LockNlube but there are others that lock with out a spring and are more positive.But a properly adjusted Lockn lube should work.
New tractors seem to have more room around fittings.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
For something as simple as a grease-gun and zerk-nozzle it’s surprising how many are unfamiliar with how it works.
The nozzle on original guns is adjustable. If you look at the barrel, it can be seen to rotate versus the NPT fitting (where it screws onto the hose-end or delivery-tube-end….. and that differential adjustment is what decides how tightly the nozzle will “grip” the zerk fitting.
If the nozzle is not properly adjusted it will not grip the zerk… and it will leak grease all over instead of delivering it into the zerk. It will also “pop” off the zerk and generally frustrate you.
The “Lock-n-Load” pleases many folks who don’t understand the system because LnL design has an “over-grip” which is factory-adjusted and the thumb-lever basically re-adjusts that each time it is placed on a zerk. If an original nozzle were properly adjusted …and if the zerks are all the same sizes not having been substituted by an unknowledgeable person resulting in variously-sized zerks…. then an ordinary grease gun and nozzle will work fine.

Just because it is relatively expensive (and because my original guns all work fine) I refused to buy a LnL ….until I visited HF and saw their cheap copy.…so I bought it and it works fine. (Don’t know about the other posters’ experience…my HF “LnL” works fine. I do not plan to buy another however as I don’t find it as convenient to get into tight spaces as the original (and properly adjusted) nozzles. (I have 5 grease guns with 5 different specialty greases.)

Back in the early ‘60s a new invention hit the market…. the electric can-opener. Most of us in middle-class families found that especially humorous …that some folks had ”more dollars than sense” to spend good money on a labor-saving device that was further lazy-ed up with electricity. LOL. For goodness sakes! Too lazy to open a CAN..?? LOL

Of course, a few years later and we all had electric can openers. Then we got tired of the darn things sitting and taking-up kitchen-counter-space and they always acquired a greasy-food-particle gearing-system that had unknown pathogens living on it.
My house has reverted to an old-style hand-cranked can opener that un-seals the rim rather than cutting the lid ….and it is quick, easy, and remains clean. The lids of the cans can also be put back onto the can for temporary re-sealing of the unused contents if necessary

I have to say…. I’m rolling my eyes at you guys who buy an automatic grease-gun…. the pneumatic ones at the professional-shops I can understand….but the expensive, environmentally unfriendly chineese-lithium-battery-driven ones are especially egregious to my present thinking. ( I figure it’ll be at least 2 more years before I own 5 of them.) :ROFLMAO:
Wow - - guess you can count me as unknowledgeable after 50+ years of greasin' stuff.

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned............

1. I haven't had shit for luck adjusting a coupler in 20+ years. I'll admit probably cheap couplers on the Chinese stuff I've bought over the years. Ruined one trying.
Must be my lack of knowledge.
On "old" guns I grew up with, I could adjust them when needed, but was seldom an issue.
We scooped grease from barrel by hand to fill the guns.
Never used a grease cartridge until I was in my 20's and had left the farm. Almost 40 years later, still have to pay attention which direction they go.

2. I'll admit that I have not swapped out my zerks so they're all the same size.
I work 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year. 3 days off in 2+ years.
My time can be a little tight for other obligations called "life," including using the things that need greasing, so they need greasing. ;)

3. 15 years ago, I bought a PNEUMATIC Campbell Hausfeld grease gun on sale at Tractor Supply for $20+ after Christmas.
Yes, just like a pro shop would use. That coupler was adjustable a little, and for many years all was bliss....

4. I did have issues with some of the zerks when I bought the Kubota.
I bought a LnL 8 years ago (see #2).

5. My trusty $20+ CH pneumatic grease gun, like a pro shop would use, crapped out last year.

6. Last year I bought a Milwaukee Fuel 18v Grease Gun.
Matches my Milwaukee tool kit.
I'll confess I did get another battery with it, as it matches my tool kit.
It's a smaller capacity battery. I hope I get some credit for that.
The convenience and speed allows better and quicker service I need to do. Refer back to #2.

7. I'll confess we've had a conventional electric, kitchen counter-stored, Can Opener for nearly of my life.
We did go a coupe years with a manual on the farm. Things were pretty tight financially in those days for my folks. No embellishment there. We had some tough years.
We've probably had 5 or 6 during our 32 years of marriage....
I'm a former commercial cook, and my wife is half Italian.
We can open a lot of cans of tomatoes in a sitting....

Please offer your forgiveness..... please.....

I can do 5 Hail Mary's if needed.

Although I swore I would bring my kids up Catholic (which I did), someone will have to tell this poor example of Methodist the words in a Hail Mary....... :oops:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Maybe you just need to rebuild kit for the lock and lube end?
Probably. I think it came with rebuild stuff...but my question is, wtf for? It lasted only about a year.

I have at least 3 grease guns all fitted with standard tips. They work very well when adjusted correctly. And yes George, I do know how to use them.

Ok, this will be my last pissy post on this subject. All I will tell you is that I won't be buying anymore LNL's.

Reactions: 1 users

jimr63

Equipment
M5-091HDC, L47TLB, L4701F, ZD1211-72, GR2120-54, RTV-X1140
Jun 24, 2015
SOMD
Purchased a Dewalt 20v grease gun a couple years ago and love it. Besides all the Kubota’s listed in my profile, I have two JD combines, planters, drills, discs, etc to keep lubed. If I never have to use a manual gun again I’ll be a happy man.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa

I read somewhere that they used to use corn cobs in the outhouse for wiping . Maybe this is in your plans as well. Please keep us posted.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hurry up, I need in that booth next 🤣
Ha! Nobody’s got me in one yet.

Priest might need a fire extinguisher or a big friggin’ lightning rod if I ever did….. :oops:

• Love