May 3, 2020
Florida

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
According to Kubota, no one has a hydraulic oil that meets Super UDT II.
I see nowhere in Costals write up does it say that its oil is equivalent to any other hydraulic fluid. Costal is just implying that you can use their oil in place of the others.

Why would you skimp on oil or filters????

Reactions: 1 users

Sam L Series

Equipment
Kubota L3301, Forks, Loader, Tiller
May 3, 2020
Florida
According to Kubota, no one has a hydraulic oil that meets Super UDT II.
I see nowhere in Costals write up does it say that its oil is equivalent to any other hydraulic fluid. Costal is just implying that you can use their oil in place of the others.

Why would you skimp on oil or filters????
I called the below and tech support said equivalent.
also on Kubotas site and in the manual it states UDT or Super UDT to be used...
Super UDT II is a multipurpose for all weather... cold ad hot. I live in Florida and it should be thicker...

WARREN OIL COMPANY, LLC
P.O. Box 1507 Dunn, NC 28335
General Information:
(800) 779-6456

New Customer Sales:
(800) 779-6456

Customer Service:
(800) 779-6456

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I always fail to understand the general consensus to buy an expensive tractor and then cheap out on fluids and filters. Puzzles me to no end.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Flip. it's human nature. If someone can save $50 by buying a lesser quality oil (but the seller says it fits the use) the tractor owner gets to buy 3 pizzas! Pizza buyers get obese and die early, tractor has mechanical trouble and might die early! It's all in the risk management process.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
While costal is claiming ( and the tech support line, owned by them, backed up) that their fluid meets the same standards as Kubota UDT2 it's simply not true!
It's not even close.
It's your tractor, but don't be surprised if you have issues down the line.

Kubota Super UDT2 Synthetic Universal Trans-Hydraulic Fluid (1 Gallon)
  • Gravity, degree API: 34.5.
  • Viscosity @ -40 C, cP: 16000.
  • Viscosity @ 100 C, cSt: 8.1.
  • Viscosity @ 40 C, cSt: 37.
  • Viscosity Index: 199.
  • Pour Point, C max: -42.
  • Zinc, % wt.: 0.1122.
Costal fluid.JPG

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I called the below and tech support said equivalent.
also on Kubotas site and in the manual it states UDT or Super UDT to be used...
Super UDT II is a multipurpose for all weather... cold ad hot. I live in Florida and it should be thicker...

WARREN OIL COMPANY, LLC
P.O. Box 1507 Dunn, NC 28335
General Information:
(800) 779-6456

New Customer Sales:
(800) 779-6456

Customer Service:
(800) 779-6456
Warren Oil is just a few miles from where I live, only use their bar and chain oil, great sticky stuff.

I went to school with the son and daughter of the owner back in the 80's. They were little spoiled!

No knowledge of the hydro oil.

For me I use SUDT2, runs me $104 for 5 gallons delivered to the house. My annual use that is about every 8 years so that is about $38.00 a years to use SUDT2. Pretty cheap.

I too find it hard to believe anyone can claim it is equal SUDT2 or for that mater any fluid without know the makeup of it.

Good luck with your choice and happy tractoring.

Jay

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip. it's human nature. If someone can save $50 by buying a lesser quality oil (but the seller says it fits the use) the tractor owner gets to buy 3 pizzas! Pizza buyers get obese and die early, tractor has mechanical trouble and might die early! It's all in the risk management process.
In other words, you makes your choice and you get to live (and pay) for the consequences.

Makes perfect sense to me. Why I use Kubota filters and top tier fluids. Heck the stuff I use in my M9's is more expensive than the Kubota branded oil.

Having said that, if I owned a hydrostat, it would only get Kubota fluid.

Sam L Series

Equipment
May 3, 2020
Florida
OK Guys, everyone has an opinion, and opinions vary
I guess noone read that even on Kubotas site and in the manual it states UDT (OR) Super UDT to be used...
and perhaps the UDT(2) is a advertising gimmick!
I don't think that Kubota is the only one with good quality UDT tractor transmission Oil.
Guess Green, Blue, and Red, all have second best, even though they clams to be best.
I have not yet seen any company claiming not to recommend there own oils.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sam, your question was, ..."
I am doing my 200 hr hydralic oil change on my L3301 and found this by Coastal
it says that it is equivalent to Kubota UDT and Super UDT.
anyone else use this?"

You've received several replies that you apparently disagree with. You're not likely to change our mind, and we don't need to change yours. You have feedback from a few folks who have owned many Kubota tractors for many years. Use what ever lube quality, color you choose. If it works and saves you money you're the hero, if not you're .....broke down!

Sam L Series

Equipment
May 3, 2020
Florida
Sam, your question was, ..."
I am doing my 200 hr hydralic oil change on my L3301 and found this by Coastal
it says that it is equivalent to Kubota UDT and Super UDT.
anyone else use this?"

You've received several replies that you apparently disagree with. You're not likely to change our mind, and we don't need to change yours. You have feedback from a few folks who have owned many Kubota tractors for many years. Use what ever lube quality, color you choose. If it works and saves you money you're the hero, if not you're .....broke down!
so that means your answer was no you have not. Thanks
LOL

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Sam,

I think it is unlikely that "anyone else use this" Coastal fluid as the cost saving versus potential risk is not an attractive proposal. Most owners will pay the extra to use the fluid that is clearly recommended by Kubota the manufacturer which is UDT or Super UDT 2. A fluid change is typically every 400 or 600 hours, when you consider the fluid cost in terms of these hours the annual cost difference for most users is very small. Hence any intelligent user of newer Kubota equipment will automatically select the very specific recommended hydraulic fluid. Kubota gives oil types / specifications / grades for engine oil, front axle oil and coolant, owners can pick a brand that meets these specifications / requirements and can buy non Kubota products. Kubota does not give an option for it's hydro static transmission fluid and according to folks that are more technical than mysely there does not appear to be an equivalent product option for UDT or Super UDT 2.

Good luck with your service work on your L3301.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
I saw this same question posted by you on TBN with similar responses to this thread. I and probably ( just guessing) most members don't care what you use in YOUR tractor.. Heck use diesel. water or molasses. It's your tractor and your choice!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
For me I use SUDT2, runs me $104 for 5 gallons delivered to the house. My annual use that is about every 8 years so that is about $38.00 a years to use SUDT2. Pretty cheap.

Jay
Sam, I’m not going to try to give you advice. You obviously don't want it.

Jay, AKA "Creature Meadow" figures he's in $38/year for SUDT2 on a much larger machine. I know he uses his quite a lot.....

His tractor takes 10 gallons; yours about 6.

So his $38/year is about $23/year for yours (60%).

If 5 gallons of Coastal was $50 versus $104 for SUDT2, you'd save $15/year over 8 years, or $120 in 8 years.

Just for giggles - - I cut Jay's service time by 75% to 2 years. You'd save $60/year.....

$1.20 a week certainly makes it a worthwhile to gamble an $9,000 HST replacement in my book....I mean you only paid $30,000 or so for the tractor.

I have a good friend that never does preventive maintenance. It's too expensive....

He has a new TLB of a different color, and bitches at me for advice when it doesn't start or work for him in winter after sitting outside....

Maybe we should talk low-cost motor oils and filters....you could probably save at least $10/year there....

There's an old saying; "Penny-wise and Pound foolish...."

Geez.....I remember all those guys that come back to OTT after a couple years saying "my tractor won't move....":mad:

Last edited:

Sam L Series

Equipment
May 3, 2020
Florida
Hence any intelligent user
Good luck with your service work on your L3301.
so now we are labeling someone as non-intelligent and using a scare tactic... My My, how intelligent is that.

so that means your answer was no you have not. Thanks for your opinion.

Sam L Series

Equipment
May 3, 2020
Florida
Sam, I’m not going to try to give you advice. You obviously don't want it.

Jay, AKA "Creature Meadow" figures he's in $38/year for SUDT2 on a much larger machine. I know he uses his quite a lot.....

His tractor takes 10 gallons; yours about 6.

So his $38/year is about $23/year for yours (60%).

If 5 gallons of Coastal was $50 versus $104 for SUDT2, you'd save $15/year over 8 years, or $120 in 8 years.

Just for giggles - - I cut Jay's service time by 75% to 2 years. You'd save $60/year.....

$1.20 a week certainly makes it a worthwhile to gamble an $7,000 HST replacement in my book....I mean you only paid $30,000 or so for the tractor.

I have a good friend that never does preventive maintenance. It's too expensive....

He has a new TLB of a different color, and bitches at me for advice when it doesn't start or work for him in winter after sitting outside....

There's an old saying; "Penny-wise and Pound foolish...."

Maybe we should talk low-cost motor oils and filters....you could probably save at least $10/year there....

Geez.....I remember all those guys that come back to OTT after a couple years saying "my tractor won't move....":mad:
What make you think Coastal is cheep quality?
Warren Oil Company makes oil for most other oils brands like STP etc...
Oh I get it, opinion, not fact.

Just saying Kubota is not the only quality brand out there in case you don't know.
Thanks for your opinion.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Seems like oil threads always end in controversy.
I have nothing to add except that Ford makes the best truck on the planet far superior to gm crap or dodge, i mean "ram" lol

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
What make you think Coastal is cheep quality?

Thanks for your opinion.
I don't know it's quality....I never disputed it's quality.

Therein lies the problem; as I know what my tractor manufacturer recommends.

I only tried to boil-down the cost of recommended fluid versus your alternative.

For a geared tractor, or even those with GST, there are great fluids that work well.

For an HST, I will stick with recommended fluids and filters....so I'll stick with SUDT2 and Kubota-branded filters.

My engine oil of=choice is Rotella 5w-40 synthetic, but still a Kubota filter. I've found some aftermarket filters to be "lacking" compared to Kubota branded. (I realize Kubota does not make filters)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have nothing to add except that Ford makes the best truck on the planet far superior to gm crap or dodge, i mean "ram" lol
I've told you before Chevy is best!!

Darn it, not gonna tell you again!!

Fight! Fight! :cool::):)

Status
Not open for further replies.