Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Dayum....guess I got a talkin’ to.:mad:

Oh Mr. Mark, please forgive me for conveying manufacturer’s recommendations.....😱

The problem isn't in passing along the manufacturer's recommendations. Again. And again.

The problem is insisting they are The Unquestionalbe Truth.

Understand that many new tractor owners use this Forum as a resource.

I do understand that. That's why I don't want to see them misled by blind fanboyism.

They’re obviously not as smart as you are.
They might be smarter, dumber, or about the same, but whatever their intelligence level, they should be given ALL of the information instead of just the carefully tailored information that Kubota and their blind fanboys want them to have.

Most of them are probably adults. They can make up their own minds.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The basic principle is that this "proprietary uber super dooper fluid" game is as old as the hills, and anybody who owns a motor vehicle should be on to it by now.

There are very, very few companies that are more honest than the bare minimum that serves their own self interest. Kubota's claim that ONLY their fluids are compatible proves they are not one of those few companies.

There is no magic and there are no secrets when it comes to lubricants. Any company that has the resources can buy a pail of UDT or UDT2 and easily duplicate it, and if you think they haven't already done so, you have drunk deeply of the Kool-Aid.

If you really think that anything that doesn't say Kubota on it is risking your transmission you just do not understand the real world.

That's not thinking, that's blind fanboyism.
From your experience can you list these honest companies you mention?

Sam L Series

Equipment
Kubota L3301, Forks, Loader, Tiller
May 3, 2020
Florida
From your experience can you list these honest companies you mention?
Shell who makes Rotella (Best Diesel Oil Ever Made)
WARREN OIL COMPANY, LLC makes Coastal and STP and other brands
CITO who makes Mystik® JT-5® product answer line 800-248-4684
AMSOIL INC

to name a few.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
I shouldn't be surprised another oil discussion is over 60 posts in 5 days! I personally use what the factory recommends because I don't see the need to save a few bucks. It's easier for me since my Kubota dealer is 8 miles from my house. Even if I had to go to the other Kubota dealer an hour away, I probably would fit it into my travels, I like to check out new equipment. But it turns out I wouldn't have to - I just checked, I can buy Super UDT2 on Amazon shipped to my house with free shipping!

Sam L Series

Equipment
May 3, 2020
Florida
I shouldn't be surprised another oil discussion is over 60 posts in 5 days! I personally use what the factory recommends because I don't see the need to save a few bucks. It's easier for me since my Kubota dealer is 8 miles from my house. Even if I had to go to the other Kubota dealer an hour away, I probably would fit it into my travels, I like to check out new equipment. But it turns out I wouldn't have to - I just checked, I can buy Super UDT2 on Amazon shipped to my house with free shipping!
I would agree with that, however, Super UDT2 is better for cold climates. for those who live in the hot south limits upper 90s -100s there are (thicker) alternatives which will work better in hot climates. as CITO who makes Mystik® JT-5® will tell you. product answer line 800-248-4684

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Just FYI is all, the ‘free’ shipping on Amazon ($85) really looks to be about $30 when compared to an order for the same 2.5 gal from Messick’s ($55 + $21 shipping)

Reactions: 1 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I was sawmilling today for a Kubota serviceman. The subject of Kubota fluids came up and he said that Shell makes all of Kubota's fluids. I dunno, just quoting what he said.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I was sawmilling today for a Kubota serviceman. The subject of Kubota fluids came up and he said that Shell makes all of Kubota's fluids. I dunno, just quoting what he said.
A portion of Kubota's oils is formulated by Valvoline.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Can we beat this dead horse a couple more times.

I think there might be some life left in her. :) :)

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The problem isn't in passing along the manufacturer's recommendations. Again. And again.

The problem is insisting they are The Unquestionalbe Truth.

I do understand that. That's why I don't want to see them misled by blind fanboyism.

They might be smarter, dumber, or about the same, but whatever their intelligence level, they should be given ALL of the information instead of just the carefully tailored information that Kubota and their blind fanboys want them to have.

Most of them are probably adults. They can make up their own minds.
I could not even guess how many times we have had customers bring in their unit complaining it starting whining way louder than it used to or the brakes chatter. Several times units with Glide Shift jerks, delays, or judders when shifting to certain gears. Usually, when questioning the owner, has the hydraulic oil been changed, and what was put in it, the answer is a discount fluid. When the oil is changed back to Super UDT2, the unit ran for a little while, the complaint is resolved. Dollars saved: In the hole.

When a warranty is denied such as hydrostat failure or wet clutch plates that are flaking or fuzzy from using a discount oil, the owner pays the bill. Talk about upset owners. Any that I know of that have contacted the discount oil company are just blown off. Attorney fees will far exceed repair costs.

What it all boils down to is to use what you want for hydraulic oil, just be prepared for what may transpire. Your few dollars savings may very well turn into several thousand dollars loss.

Sam L Series

Equipment
May 3, 2020
Florida
I could not even guess how many times we have had customers bring in their unit complaining it starting whining way louder than it used to or the brakes chatter. Several times units with Glide Shift jerks, delays, or judders when shifting to certain gears. Usually, when questioning the owner, has the hydraulic oil been changed, and what was put in it, the answer is a discount fluid. When the oil is changed back to Super UDT2, the unit ran for a little while, the complaint is resolved. Dollars saved: In the hole.

When a warranty is denied such as hydrostat failure or wet clutch plates that are flaking or fuzzy from using a discount oil, the owner pays the bill. Talk about upset owners. Any that I know of that have contacted the discount oil company are just blown off. Attorney fees will far exceed repair costs.

What it all boils down to is to use what you want for hydraulic oil, just be prepared for what may transpire. Your few dollars savings may very well turn into several thousand dollars loss.
sounds like a story to me. a company that makes oil in America can make a quality oil, without paying for a tanker to ship it here from China.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
sounds like a story to me. a company that makes oil in America can make a quality oil, without paying for a tanker to ship it here from China.
Sam, did you come to this forum just to argue? Use what ever oil you prefer, you don't need our permission. You don't believe folk who work on Kubota tractor for a living, and you say, " ... sounds like a story to me".

Maybe go to a different tractor brand and peddle your opinion. Surely you can find someone broke enough to buy off brand products after they bought a nice tractor.

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Sam, did you come to this forum just to argue? Use what ever oil you prefer, you don't need our permission. You don't believe folk who work on Kubota tractor for a living, and you say, " ... sounds like a story to me".

Maybe go to a different tractor brand and peddle your opinion. Surely you can find someone broke enough to buy off brand products after they bought a nice tractor.

He has as much right to express his opinion as you do. The fact that someone works for Kubota does not make him an expert on what fluids are compatible with Kubota transmissions. If anything, it suggests he might be too biased to look at the facts.

FreezinGator

Equipment
BX1500 LA181 FEL 48MMM Back blade
Jul 10, 2020
Upstate NY
I think you all should use what ever you think is best. Having said that I put SUDT2 in mine and probably always will. I am lucky to be able to own one and am not going to risk a HST repair over a $50 difference in fluid once every few years. Hell, the $50 extra is worth the peace of mind alone. I have to drive about 40 minutes to get to my dealer but I drive 3 hours each way sometimes to go fishing. When I did my first service I questioned the price of SUDT2 and nobody had anything bad to say about it. Most advised me to use it because it was the best including all the people I really trusted and that knew what they were talking about. If my tractor breaks down it won't be because I tried to save a few bucks on maintenance.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I'm surprised Amsoil hasn't been thrown into this clam bake yet.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
He has as much right to express his opinion as you do. The fact that someone works for Kubota does not make him an expert on what fluids are compatible with Kubota transmissions. If anything, it suggests he might be too biased to look at the facts.
I don't care if someone expresses an opinion. That's what everyone does, but it doesn't need to be repeated over and over in the same thread. Once the opinion is stated, quit regurgitating it.

If working for Kubota makes a tech too biased to look at the facts, I take it you never deal with a Kubota dealer after you purchase a used tractor from someone, 'cause you surely would buy a new one from those biased folks!

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The company formulating Super UDT2 that is sold in the United States is located here in the USA. It is not shipped over from China. If I remember correctly, it is a little company Called Valvoline, as they produce a portion of Kubotas fluids. The formula is patented by Kubota and produced in several countries for local distribution.

You can dump whatever you want in your tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.