Woodland Mills WC-68 or WoodMaxx TM-8H or WoodMaxx WM-8H

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I have an old Jinma 8" chipper. Exact same as the Woodmaxx less the hydro feed. The mechanical feed on the old Jinmas is their Achilles. I see on the newer ones that area has been substantially beefed up. Lucky for me I live 20 minutes from the Woodland Mills place . I went over there today. According to them, my B3030 Kubota is underpowered to run their 8" chipper even though it runs my 8" Jinma like a champ, and I put big stuff through it. So I'm going to get the 8" Woodland Mills chipper anyway and see what happens. If my Kubota struggles with it, I'll try it on my 8N. It has more PTO HP than the Kubota and a lot heavier flywheel. Failing that, oh well, I'll just have to find myself a nice old MF35 or a Super Dexta to run it. I also like how the input chute on the W-M folds over for storage. It takes up way less floor space then the Jinma/WoodMaxx. I'm going to get a stump grinder too. I'll report back how it all works out.
"Their" 8" chipper refers to the Woodland Mills WC-68, right? The 19.5 HP rated PTO on my B2650 runs the WC-68 just fine. I can't load 6" dried oak and expect it to chip it without some "babying" of the feed rate, but green(ish) wood of any kind is handlable up to the full 6"x8" chute size.
My feed rate lever gets adjusted down after I get through all the "little" stuff at regular feed speed and start into more heavy chipping logs. That's fine with me.
Retired and not in a rush to feed logs fast anyway.

Me running some birch slash through 2 springs ago:

Last edited:

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Just adjust the hydraulic feed rate down a bit if it bogs.

I run our WC46 at mid speed. Think any faster would border on being unsafe because it can really whip a tree around in the chute.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Lots of good info on this thread. One question I have about the WC-68 is how easily would it take some of the gnarly beech I would want to put through it? I am wondering if it would require a lot of pruning of the wild off shoot branches which jut out in weird directions or if the chute would just fold them in and take them to their demise. I wouldn't be putting anything over probably 3" or so through it.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Lots of good info on this thread. One question I have about the WC-68 is how easily would it take some of the gnarly beech I would want to put through it? I am wondering if it would require a lot of pruning of the wild off shoot branches which jut out in weird directions or if the chute would just fold them in and take them to their demise. I wouldn't be putting anything over probably 3" or so through it.
Hard to say. Depends on how big they are, how flexible they are, how easy they are to break. Sometimes it will fold them in, sometimes break them, and sometimes it hangs up.

Generally, I’ve found beech to be pretty flexible. If 3” is max size with smaller limbs coming off that, kind of hard to imagine it wouldn’t break or fold that smaller stuff but no guarantees.

After you’ve used a particular chipper for a while you pretty much can look at the limbs and know what it will feed and what needs more trimming.

Reactions: 1 user

Navenjohnson

Equipment
LX 2610
Nov 18, 2022
Saint Augusta, MN
I've been using the WC68 on my B2650 (same as LX2610) for 2 1/2 years. I find it a great match for my tractor and needs. Wood over 6' diameter goes for firewood, all the rest the chipper handles absolutely great! The 3-point handles it's 900# or so easily. Infeed speed adjustment is a little sensitive but I'm used to it.
I would totally recommend the WC68 for your B2610, and would not recommend going any bigger or heavier. I confirmed my order and it was at the end of my driveway in 5 days for me to fork off the delivery truck with the tractor. Follow assembly directions and it goes together flawlessly.
I realize this thread is old, but I have a similar tractor (LX2610) and am looking at a 6" Woodland Mills chipper. My question is, when it comes to warranty work or just servicing it in general, where do you take it?

Thanks

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
I realize this thread is old, but I have a similar tractor (LX2610) and am looking at a 6" Woodland Mills chipper. My question is, when it comes to warranty work or just servicing it in general, where do you take it?

Thanks
My WC68 hasn't needed warranty parts or service, just maintenance in the 6 years I've had it. Get parts from WM, and ask them if they can recommend a service outlet near you. I'd call my local tractor dealership first about shop work. They're pretty basic machines. Bearings, chipper teeth, a belt, and hydraulic pump and motor. Grease the zerks, lube control joints, top the hydraulic fluid, go.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia

Thanks
If 5 inch capacity is enough, you might want to consider the WoodMaxx MX-8500G+. It works extremely well (see my review), and it has very few parts to service. It is made in the USA, like all of the MX series.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Woodland Mills customer service is quite responsive for help with parts and warranty. It’s a pretty simple machine so it’s very much user serviceable if you have rudimentary mechanical ability and a basic tool set. The standard operator manual also serves as the workshop manual. Setting the bed plate is a bit of an adventure. Had to cut a wooden stick to use as an extremely long feeler gauge for that project, but otherwise servicing it is about on the level of changing a flat tire.

Navenjohnson

Equipment
LX 2610
Nov 18, 2022
Saint Augusta, MN
My WC68 hasn't needed warranty parts or service, just maintenance in the 6 years I've had it. Get parts from WM, and ask them if they can recommend a service outlet near you. I'd call my local tractor dealership first about shop work. They're pretty basic machines. Bearings, chipper teeth, a belt, and hydraulic pump and motor. Grease the zerks, lube control joints, top the hydraulic fluid, go.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm guessing you've been reasonably satisfied with it since it's gone 6 years without problems. Based on the PTO HP on our tractors, how big of a limb can you chip? I was contemplating the 4" version, but figured I could probably go slow with bigger sticks in the 6" for not that much more money. Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm guessing you've been reasonably satisfied with it since it's gone 6 years without problems. Based on the PTO HP on our tractors, how big of a limb can you chip? I was contemplating the 4" version, but figured I could probably go slow with bigger sticks in the 6" for not that much more money. Thanks for letting me pick your brain.
That's it, I just slow the infeed and those 6" logs go through. They're rarely in the chipping pile though, as 6" and up logs are firewood candidates.
I've only ever overloaded the chipper twice, stalled out the tractor, with trying to feed a dry, gnarly, knotty, 5" oak branch through without watching closely and standing by on the forward/stop/reverse bar.
Fired the machine back up and babied that branch through no problem!
Go for the WC68. Woodland Mills Co. are good at support, too. I had questions about a type of hydraulic oil to use, called them and they stayed with me until everything was resolved. Had a nice convo!

Navenjohnson

Equipment
LX 2610
Nov 18, 2022
Saint Augusta, MN
That's it, I just slow the infeed and those 6" logs go through. They're rarely in the chipping pile though, as 6" and up logs are firewood candidates.
I've only ever overloaded the chipper twice, stalled out the tractor, with trying to feed a dry, gnarly, knotty, 5" oak branch through without watching closely and standing by on the forward/stop/reverse bar.
Fired the machine back up and babied that branch through no problem!
Go for the WC68. Woodland Mills Co. are good at support, too. I had questions about a type of hydraulic oil to use, called them and they stayed with me until everything was resolved. Had a nice convo!
Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. Pretty sure I'll be going with the WC68. We've to about 75 acres of trees and a modest amount of buckthorn that I like to root out, so it should keep me busy.

Navenjohnson

Equipment
LX 2610
Nov 18, 2022
Saint Augusta, MN
If 5 inch capacity is enough, you might want to consider the WoodMaxx MX-8500G+. It works extremely well (see my review), and it has very few parts to service. It is made in the USA, like all of the MX series.

That is definitely something to consider, because I have to believe that the vast majority 5" would be fine, not to mention that my tractor would have it's hands full with 5" let alone 6". I have to admit I kind of like the autofeed and ability to reverse out a jammed stick, based on my experience with rented chippers. It looks like most gravity feed chippers pull the sticks in pretty well, but what I noticed with the gravity feed chipper that I rented once was that as the blades dulled it required a lot more forceful pushing. I guess if it was my own I would have sharpened the blades at that point...
Thanks.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
That is definitely something to consider, because I have to believe that the vast majority 5" would be fine, not to mention that my tractor would have it's hands full with 5" let alone 6". I have to admit I kind of like the autofeed and ability to reverse out a jammed stick, based on my experience with rented chippers. It looks like most gravity feed chippers pull the sticks in pretty well, but what I noticed with the gravity feed chipper that I rented once was that as the blades dulled it required a lot more forceful pushing. I guess if it was my own I would have sharpened the blades at that point...
Thanks.
FWIW, the WoodMaxx's feed system is far beyond just gravity feed found in other chippers. Gravity does help deliver the material to the blades, but the shearing against the rotating cylinder is what pulls the material in. The only pushing needed is for fluffy tops that lack enough stem to be pulled in, and I just push them in with the next limb. I have had my chipper for over 6 months, and the blades are still as sharp as new. The blades are also reversable. My chipper has chipped lots of privet hedge (2-4 inches), hardwoods up to 5 inches and cedars/pines up to 4 inches. I have experienced no jams.

Good luck with your search.

Navenjohnson

Equipment
LX 2610
Nov 18, 2022
Saint Augusta, MN
FWIW, the WoodMaxx's feed system is far beyond just gravity feed found in other chippers. Gravity does help deliver the material to the blades, but the shearing against the rotating cylinder is what pulls the material in. The only pushing needed is for fluffy tops that lack enough stem to be pulled in, and I just push them in with the next limb. I have had my chipper for over 6 months, and the blades are still as sharp as new. The blades are also reversable. My chipper has chipped lots of privet hedge (2-4 inches), hardwoods up to 5 inches and cedars/pines up to 4 inches. I have experienced no jams.

Good luck with your search.
I really appreciate the input. It's very helpful to hear from people that have a similar tractor. I would much prefer to get something that is made 100% in the US. I researched the 8400G+ a little more based on your comments and was impressed. Their website is pretty informative. Thanks for the help.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I really appreciate the input. It's very helpful to hear from people that have a similar tractor. I would much prefer to get something that is made 100% in the US. I researched the 8400G+ a little more based on your comments and was impressed. Their website is pretty informative. Thanks for the help.
If you do decide to buy one, there is an error in the manual. It talks about greasing the rotary anvil (the rotating cylinder) using its zerk. They changed to sealed bearings - no greasing required. The fly wheel bearings still require greasing every 300 hours of use and the PTO shaft every 10 hours.