Woodland Mills WC-68 or WoodMaxx TM-8H or WoodMaxx WM-8H

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
After you do it a couple of times it doesn't take very long at all, a dolly make it a lot easier. If you keep the lower link pins oiled it helps also. I would say I can remove the 3pt and have the BH on in 15 minutes or so. That doesn't include the time to move the stuff to be able to get the BH out from the corner.

Keep an eye out for a use BH77, I found mine on Craigslist.
Same here. Can be done in about 15 mins.

Regarding resale-limited, exclusive group. I think maybe you were misinformed. The BH77 is used across many models (large B-50 series thru small L-01 series, including LX models). The only difference would be the subframe itself which was typically under 1K. So, potentially there would be a larger market.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Same here. Can be done in about 15 mins.

Regarding resale-limited, exclusive group. I think maybe you were misinformed. The BH77 is used across many models (large B-50 series thru small L-01 series, including LX models). The only difference would be the subframe itself which was typically under 1K. So, potentially there would be a larger market.
You didn't read all of what I wrote. I know the BH77 is used on a lot of platforms, including more of the L series than you noted, and that it also has a few variants that aren't denoted by the model number. I have the instructions/marketing materials for it, and I did actually read all of it and look at the purty pictures. I was tempted to get out my crayons, but the missus has me on a low-paraffin diet at the moment.

A BH77 for an LX2610SU (swivel seat) will not work on a CAB tractor (no second seat or platform for it). The glass gets in the way just a little bit if you don't have the second seat. A swivel seat in a CAB tractor is almost as useful as a screen door on a submarine. A backhoe on a CAB tractor sort of defeats the entire purpose of the cab altogether unless you are NOT using the backhoe. Either the dealer told me that the subframe for the SU wouldn't fit the CAB or ROPS model LX's with mid-PTO, or maybe I read it in the propaganda. That narrows the market considerably to LX-2610-SU owners. The SU model wasn't designed for cheapskates and tough guy wannabes. It was designed for the utility tractor market leaving some of the cost of the tractor available to offset the cost of utility type equipment. It was never intended to be a golf-green mower. It was designed for people that are OK with sitting outside to operate a backhoe, because that's where you're going to be sitting if you're operating a backhoe.

I also said exactly what you did about the subframe (other than the price). That is the part that will have a very exclusive market as it ONLY fits the SU tractors, particularly the LX2610SU. There is no SU version of the LX-3310, that I know about. Yet. By the time I'm done with with the BH77, LX2610SU subframes will be more common, and I'll just have a very large chunk of steel hanging under my tractor or occupying space somewhere if I sell the BH77 without it. The subframe is currently the hard part to get because it's completely different from any other model, and designed for a new model. The LX line was ready before the rest of Kubota was. Since the BH77 fits so many different models, the dealer had 4 of them 'on the shelf'. Since he had no subframe and couldn't transfer complete ownership to me without it, he couldn't take the sale.

Ergo, if I ever own one and decide to sell it, I'd prefer to sell both pieces together as a complete package. Don't really care whether or not the buyer can actually use it, but I don't want to separate it and devalue either piece. The last thing I want is have someone trying to low-ball me because it's an incomplete package or doesn't fit their tractor. That isn't my problem at all. Suitability for use is completely up to them and their responsibility, and not something I should have to consider when selling. If I sell, I'd be doing so to get rid of the machine completely, not just part of it. A subframe without a backhoe is pretty useless, as is a backhoe without a subframe. This is the very reason I don't already own a BH77. Kubota isn't being very responsive at the moment (as if anyone else is, either). I ordered parts the first week of December for another piece of equipment. I got them day before yesterday. I prefer to keep my money in my pocket until I can actually touch the product I'm about to purchase, new or used. I'm very old school that way.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I didn't get the sub-frame or hydrualic lines with the BH77 I bought and it did lower the price of it. I guess the guy I bought it from thought he might buy another one at some time. My BH77 sat in the garage for a couple of months till the ordered sub-frame came in. The hydraulic lines came with the sub-frame kit.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day. I see this is an older thread however, I am looking at similar units (only the woodland mills and the wood max) The caveat I have is that I’d like to use whatever I get with both my B and MX. any suggestion or regrets from what any of you have used? If any have direct experience with both I’d love to hear difference in ease or frequency of maintenance. Please advise.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have the WC68 for use with my L3800. It's only a year old and my guess is I have about 20-30 hours of real use. No complaints so far. I don't chip anything over 3".
Last summer I cleaned out a large section of wooded area - both deadfall and trees I took down. Mostly oak & maple.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have the WC68 for use with my L3800. It's only a year old and my guess is I have about 20-30 hours of real use. No complaints so far. I don't chip anything over 3".
Last summer I cleaned out a large section of wooded area - both deadfall and trees I took down. Mostly oak & maple.
Thank you. I appreciate that.
If honey suckle and Osage orange bushes or poison ivy were cash crops I’d be rich. There simply is nothing straight or simple about them nor do they leave something that is really very stackable. I don’t plan to chip large stuff but it’s definitely not straight, I can see where a large mouth/throat would take the wood in a little easier. (I can’t even type that without laughing…I’m amused easily). I am not sure the throat size makes me ch of difference other than if you want really large stuff in there…I hoped couple inch diameter stuff regardless of how knarly it would eat like an angry beaver? But I never used one.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Just to make things more complex, WoodMax has the MX 8600 that is made (of US and international components) in NY State. I have not bought a chipper - yet, but I keep looking at them. This model seems to have many advantages for small compact tractors. It only needs 15 HP PTO and ~2 quarts of motor oil (has reversible power feed), and the fly wheel is accessible through a clam shell housing. It is $3395 and out of stock.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It seems like all things tractor related there is a lot of overlap. I have a big spread of capability between my pair (b:Mx). I assume the b would run a larger chipper so long as doing brush. However I would like to be able to use the MX should I feel like it. I’ll pay more for made in USA if comparable capability. That being said woodland mills has a fine reputation from what I can tell. So I think I have to come to terms with the infeed/flywheel/knives.

Last edited:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I have the woodMaxx and will be using it soon to chip a bunch of brush and trees. I bought it becouse it is self contained. As I have no rear hydroilics. The feed works great. I have tried to feed it with the feed in reverse and it dont feed so well..lol but chews thru whatever to stick in there. It is big and heavy.
chipper.jpg

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
Good day. I see this is an older thread however, I am looking at similar units (only the woodland mills and the wood max) The caveat I have is that I’d like to use whatever I get with both my B and MX. any suggestion or regrets from what any of you have used? If any have direct experience with both I’d love to hear difference in ease or frequency of maintenance. Please advise.
I have the MX-8600, what replaced the previous small model. Have put about 3-4 hours on it so far and have been very happy with it. Minimum 15 hp at the PTO required, hydraulic feed and takes up to 6” branches.

I would talk with the folks at woodmaxx and get their opinion on your situation given the two tractors you want to use it with. They are very responsive and knowledgeable. The next size up may make sense.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I have the MX-8600, what replaced the previous small model. Have put about 3-4 hours on it so far and have been very happy with it. Minimum 15 hp at the PTO required, hydraulic feed and takes up to 6” branches.

I would talk with the folks at woodmaxx and get their opinion on your situation given the two tractors you want to use it with. They are very responsive and knowledgeable. The next size up may make sense.
I am sort of stuck….either my criteria is wrong or there is negligible difference. On one hand I think a lighter weight flywheel wheel more blades would make finer chips and I plan to use the chips for composting and mulch. On the other handle I think a heavier flywheel would be helpful but would strain my little tractor. And finally, I think the woodland mills has a little simpler access to the flywheel and blades. Anyone see it differently?

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
As I noted before, I have not purchased a chipper yet, but I did place myself on the WoodMaxx MX-8600 wait list.

To me, the fact that the Woodmaxx MX series is built/assembled in the USA is a significant advantage for future service/parts (parts like the pump are available off the shelf in the US). Also, the MX series has the same clam shell access to the rotor and blades as a Woodland Mills. Additionally, WoodMaxx's couple of quarts of motor oil with a screw on filter is a plus over 5 gallons of hydraulic oil.

Are both the WoodMaxx and Woodland Mills both good units - it would appear to be the case, and their prices (especially with shipping and etc.) seem to be about the same.

I would talk to both companies about your tractors, and then you could compare their best suggestions.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
As I noted before, I have not purchased a chipper yet, but I did place myself on the WoodMaxx MX-8600 wait list.

To me, the fact that the Woodmaxx MX series is built/assembled in the USA is a significant advantage for future service/parts (parts like the pump are available off the shelf in the US). Also, the MX series has the same clam shell access to the rotor and blades as a Woodland Mills. Additionally, WoodMaxx's couple of quarts of motor oil with a screw on filter is a plus over 5 gallons of hydraulic oil.

Are both the WoodMaxx and Woodland Mills both good units - it would appear to be the case, and their prices (especially with shipping and etc.) seem to be about the same.

I would talk to both companies about your tractors, and then you could compare their best suggestions.
Thank you. I sent both companies a mail. So far woodmaxx already replied. Did you see a video that cracked the woodmaxx open? Could you share link. I have not seen that. Woodmaxx suggested either of 3 for my situation (WM-8H, WM-8M, and MX8800.) my understanding is the MX is built here stateside.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Thank you. I sent both companies a mail. So far woodmaxx already replied. Did you see a video that cracked the woodmaxx open? Could you share link. I have not seen that. Woodmaxx suggested either of 3 for my situation (WM-8H, WM-8M, and MX8800.) my understanding is the MX is built here stateside.
I did not see the rotor access on a video (or if I did, I cannot remember where); however, under the features section for the MX series you will see this:

EASY KNIFE ACCESS
WoodMaxx MX-series wood chipper knives can be changed easily by one person in as little as 10 minutes. The entire top of the blower housing opens like a clam shell. This allows for easy access to the flywheel and knives.

You could confirm exactly how easily (how many bolts) it opens. It certainly sound like easy access, especially to clear a jam/debris. Please post what they say.

Yes, it is also my understanding that only the MX series is US made/assembled.

XSpecBx

Equipment
B2601, Artillian Pallet Forks, Woodmaxx MX-8600, LP BB1248
Apr 3, 2022
Ledyard, CT
If you look up the owners manuals online through the woodmaxx website, the manuals show in great detail how to change the knives. I haven’t done it on my 8600, but it looks pretty straightforward.

I would assume woodland mills has something similar.

I run my 8600 on a B2601, and yes, the MX series is made in the USA.

The service from woodmaxx is fantastic too. I had something get damaged, either from shipping or from me moving it around when I first bought it. Put in a service request on their website on Saturday and it was in the mail Monday afternoon and at my house in CT Wednesday at no charge to me. Could not be more pleased with my choice.

Erik Graham

Equipment
B2630, LA 403, RCK60-30B, L2550 GST
Nov 30, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I am running a Woodland Mills WC 68 on my Kubota L2550 and have no qualms in the least recommending it. I haven't run anything much beyond 3" thick through it as yet but aside from one issue I haven't had any problems. The couple of times I ran it I was having an issue with it clogging and causing my tractor to bog a bit. The issue turned out the be the gap between the anvil and the knives being too big, once adjusted to spec's laid out in manual all was well. It now produces a much finer chip and has no issues with clogging. The machine itself is built like the proverbial brick sh*t house. I am retiring my smaller, manual feed Wallenstein that I've had for a long time and I can say that they are of a similar build quality. The feed chute on the WM is pretty substantial with a well placed feed control bar and I've been able to munch up some fairly gnarly apple boughs with very little trimming. Feed chute is also a good angle and comfortable height off the ground for the ahem, older operator with heavy miles on shoulders. Just added the trailer hitch this past weekend, which although was a little pricey, is also built well and won't have any issues pulling a 4 x 8 trailer full of chips over rough ground.

Attachments

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I have the woodMaxx and will be using it soon to chip a bunch of brush and trees. I bought it becouse it is self contained. As I have no rear hydroilics. The feed works great. I have tried to feed it with the feed in reverse and it dont feed so well..lol but chews thru whatever to stick in there. It is big and heavy. View attachment 78870
I like that lever to raise the feed roller. For the WC46, I take the floor jack with us in the FEL.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I like that lever to raise the feed roller. For the WC46, I take the floor jack with us in the FEL.
That is correct. Especally sometimes the feed won't pull in branches or a log or it wont grab it enough to pull. Moving the roll up and down will start it going.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am running a Woodland Mills WC 68 on my Kubota L2550 and have no qualms in the least recommending it. I haven't run anything much beyond 3" thick through it as yet but aside from one issue I haven't had any problems. The couple of times I ran it I was having an issue with it clogging and causing my tractor to bog a bit. The issue turned out the be the gap between the anvil and the knives being too big, once adjusted to spec's laid out in manual all was well. It now produces a much finer chip and has no issues with clogging. The machine itself is built like the proverbial brick sh*t house. I am retiring my smaller, manual feed Wallenstein that I've had for a long time and I can say that they are of a similar build quality. The feed chute on the WM is pretty substantial with a well placed feed control bar and I've been able to munch up some fairly gnarly apple boughs with very little trimming. Feed chute is also a good angle and comfortable height off the ground for the ahem, older operator with heavy miles on shoulders. Just added the trailer hitch this past weekend, which although was a little pricey, is also built well and won't have any issues pulling a 4 x 8 trailer full of chips over rough ground.
Good day. Is the trailer hitch a trip hazard when operating? Would you add it all over again or is it in the way of where you would naturally want to stand when feeding the beast? Thanks.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have the WC-68 with probably 60 to 70 total hours on it between me and my brother I share it with. So far it will chip anything that fits through the feed chute. Most stuff has been 3” or less but have had things up to at least 5” with no problems. I have yet to do anything in the way of maintenance other than grease it routinely.

Had the discharge chute clog several times chipping green sappy evergreens until I figured out the cause was operator error in not slowing feed speed for sticky stuff such as that. Have not had one clog since.

Woodmaxx is probably a good machine, just don’t have direct experience with them. Nothing but good things to say about the WC-68 and Woodland Mills.