Woodland Mills WC-68 or WoodMaxx TM-8H or WoodMaxx WM-8H

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I have the WC-68 with probably 60 to 70 total hours on it between me and my brother I share it with. So far it will chip anything that fits through the feed chute. Most stuff has been 3” or less but have had things up to at least 5” with no problems. I have yet to do anything in the way of maintenance other than grease it routinely.

Had the discharge chute clog several times chipping green sappy evergreens until I figured out the cause was operator error in not slowing feed speed for sticky stuff such as that. Have not had one clog since.

Woodmaxx is probably a good machine, just don’t have direct experience with them. Nothing but good things to say about the WC-68 and Woodland Mills.
What @NCL4701 said.

I've had a couple different types of clogs in the chute, though. When the last bit of a piece goes past the rollers, it's no longer being forced into the knives and will actually start tumbling behind the roller. Obviously, the steel roller can't be allowed to contact the knives, so there in lies the problem. The large piece will get sideways at which point the knife will slice a very large chip with the grain, and that will get caught in the chute where it bottle necks just below the handles. Otherwise, I've stalled my LX a few times with it but was chipping stuff that was at least 5" in diameter. I have seen it hogging off 1/4 inch thick slices off elm and cedar nearly 4 inches in diameter behind the LX with no problem. It's rated for up to 90 HP, but I run it with 19. I've probably got about 50 hours total run time on it.

My worst complaint is coupling the driveshaft, but some of that is probably my fault because of my cheap quick hitch.

Reactions: 1 users

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
So reviving an older thread. I've read through it all a couple times and found it quite helpful, but still have a couple questions. First Old_Paint, did you end up getting the Woodland Mills chipper? If so what caused you to make that selection vs the WoodMaxx? I am leaning toward the WoodMaxx WM-8H as from what I can tell it seems a bit less expensive than the WC88 which I think seems to compare better since they're both 8" chippers, seems a bit lower on shipping and offers a possibly better feed mechanism. Am I evaluating this correctly? Anyone else have any thoughts on this topic before I pull the trigger and place an order? I'll be running it off my L3560 LE so HP shouldn't be an issue. I have already ordered the seat switch which isn't included in the Limited Edition of my tractor.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
What @NCL4701 said.

I've had a couple different types of clogs in the chute, though. When the last bit of a piece goes past the rollers, it's no longer being forced into the knives and will actually start tumbling behind the roller. Obviously, the steel roller can't be allowed to contact the knives, so there in lies the problem. The large piece will get sideways at which point the knife will slice a very large chip with the grain, and that will get caught in the chute where it bottle necks just below the handles. Otherwise, I've stalled my LX a few times with it but was chipping stuff that was at least 5" in diameter. I have seen it hogging off 1/4 inch thick slices off elm and cedar nearly 4 inches in diameter behind the LX with no problem. It's rated for up to 90 HP, but I run it with 19. I've probably got about 50 hours total run time on it.

My worst complaint is coupling the driveshaft, but some of that is probably my fault because of my cheap quick hitch.
All familiar after 3 years running my B2650HSD/WC-68 combo. and my blades are still plenty sharp, haven't even started on the second knives edge yet.

A fine wood chipper, IMHO.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
My most NOT-looking-forward-to task with the 'bota is attaching PTO shaft couplings, ESPECIALLY the chipper shaft. It's a short, tightly fitting beast to wrestle into place. Hate it.

I also had 2 arthroscopic surgeries on my right side (my dominant side) rotator cuff over a one year period, 3 years ago, and so can grok your difficulties that you mentioned earlier in this thread.

My shoulder injuries and 2 "corrective" surgeries really messed up PTO shaft manipulation. Good thing it still works ok on the hydraulic controls!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Shipping company contacted me yesterday…WC-68 to be delivered this week Friday.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
It might not be the top of the line chipper, but it does everything I ask of it and a lot more than I expected behind my little LX2610SU. I figured out that if I don’t want to stall it on large stuff then I just cut the feed rate way back. That also makes smaller chips which are better for mulch that we use in all the flower and shrub beds away from the house.
Next addition to my yard equipment arsenal may be a good sprayer to can de-critterize the chips so that we can use them near the house without creating a termite smorgasbord. Stuff Lowes calls “cypress blend “ is chewed up pallets that someone said “cypress “ within 20 miles of the grinder, and thanks to “build it back better “, they get $5 for 2 cubic foot bags. That doesn’t cover much.
You’ll love that machine if you’ve been burning the brush or hauling it off. I can chew up a pile of brush that’s 6 feet high and 18 feet wide (3 loads off my little trailer) inside an hour. Beats the hell out of my little Briggs powered 3”
Only took about an hour to get it ready to eat. Save the bottom of the crate for a dolly. Grab some casters from HarborFreight and stiffen the corners a bit. I keep mine inside the shed and wash it after every use just to keep the dust down a bit in the shed. It’s actually sort of a post-op check on the knives and bearings, but I figure it doesn’t hurt to clean it while I have it open. No point in inviting mice to live in it.

Reactions: 1 user

PortTackFarm

Equipment
Jul 2, 2021
Ordered my chipper today. Tough decision - I am sure the Woodland Mills WC-68 is a great chipper but I decided to go with WoodMaxx WM-8H instead. It had been on back order for several weeks but I received the email today that it was available for purchase and delivery so I jumped on it. Hopefully it will be here in a few weeks. I'll post details and reviews once I have it and have chomped some trees and brush with it.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’d like to make a confession…Forgive me orange peeps for I have sinned…I went green today🫣. Finally uncrated and assembled. Need to go to town and get some oil…little green monster is bone dry. 😉

Attachments

Last edited:

PortTackFarm

Equipment
Jul 2, 2021
My WoodMaxx WM-8H was delivered today. Spent about 3 hours completing assembly. Still need to get 7 gallons of hydraulic oil to finish assembly so it's ready to use. I'm impressed with the quality so far. Looking forward to actually using it. I'll do a review once I get a few hours of run time on it. Of course the fact that it's orange doesn't hurt either.

1658289742742.jpeg

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I’d like to make a confession…Forgive me orange peeps for I have sinned…I went green today🫣. Finally uncrated and assembled. Need to go to town and get some oil…little green monster is bone dry. 😉
That's an excusable green. WC-68? If so, I have it's twin brother. I have the LX-2610 tractor, so same horsepower as your B-2650. Unless you cram something huge in there (+5" diameter), you're not gonna stall that B-2650 with it. Winter to early spring is best chipping. No leaves and less sap (lighter wood) in deciduous species. Green leaves tend to be heavy and clog the chute when mixed with twigs. The WC-68 could use a little more air-flow, but it's designed to chop, not blow, and some of the movement is actually the fins on the flywheel slinging the chips as much as it's blowing them.

I've had mine about 18 months now. Before the LX and the WC-68, I was hand feeding a little 6.5 HP Briggs powered 3 inch chipper. It did a pretty good job, but that thing would beat you to death. 15 minutes feeding that thing, and you can't feel your fingers. I already have significant neuropathy from spine problems, so no telling how much damage I was doing to my hands and wrists. All I know is I had ZERO grip and hurt for a week after an afternoon with that thing. The other problem with it was the tiny 3" opening. It doesn't take much of a crook in a branch to be too big for the opening. The WC-68, though, is a PLEASURE to watch it eat up a lot of stuff that I'd have to cut repeatedly to feed to the little guy. I've got a lot of volunteer elm and birch (neither of which isn't worth a flip for firewood), and some of it's 30 feet tall and 4 inches in diameter at the base. It's fun to feed a whole tree to that thing and watch it eat. Anything over 2" diameter in oak, maple, or hickory, I cut up into firewood. I just spread most of the chips on the ground for mulch as I'm clearing the property a little at a time.

Next major investment will be a grapple. I've got WAY too much deadfall and junk brush I don't want to put in the WC-68 or can't because it's too large. I want a dump trailer too so I can haul all that stuff off to the dump. I've only recently added a culvert so I can access the back 1/3 of my property. The little LX has made a tremendous difference in the progress I'm making.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
That's an excusable green. WC-68? If so, I have it's twin brother. I have the LX-2610 tractor, so same horsepower as your B-2650. Unless you cram something huge in there (+5" diameter), you're not gonna stall that B-2650 with it. Winter to early spring is best chipping. No leaves and less sap (lighter wood) in deciduous species. Green leaves tend to be heavy and clog the chute when mixed with twigs. The WC-68 could use a little more air-flow, but it's designed to chop, not blow, and some of the movement is actually the fins on the flywheel slinging the chips as much as it's blowing them.

I've had mine about 18 months now. Before the LX and the WC-68, I was hand feeding a little 6.5 HP Briggs powered 3 inch chipper. It did a pretty good job, but that thing would beat you to death. 15 minutes feeding that thing, and you can't feel your fingers. I already have significant neuropathy from spine problems, so no telling how much damage I was doing to my hands and wrists. All I know is I had ZERO grip and hurt for a week after an afternoon with that thing. The other problem with it was the tiny 3" opening. It doesn't take much of a crook in a branch to be too big for the opening. The WC-68, though, is a PLEASURE to watch it eat up a lot of stuff that I'd have to cut repeatedly to feed to the little guy. I've got a lot of volunteer elm and birch (neither of which isn't worth a flip for firewood), and some of it's 30 feet tall and 4 inches in diameter at the base. It's fun to feed a whole tree to that thing and watch it eat. Anything over 2" diameter in oak, maple, or hickory, I cut up into firewood. I just spread most of the chips on the ground for mulch as I'm clearing the property a little at a time.

Next major investment will be a grapple. I've got WAY too much deadfall and junk brush I don't want to put in the WC-68 or can't because it's too large. I want a dump trailer too so I can haul all that stuff off to the dump. I've only recently added a culvert so I can access the back 1/3 of my property. The little LX has made a tremendous difference in the progress I'm making.
Yep, wc-68. I still feel dirty and ashamed on the color. It’s what it is. We had an ‘El Derecho’ in June. I had ordered the chipper before the storm and arrival of chipper (chipper arrived about a week after the storm did)but did not get it until after snow plow went down our road in June to clear the road. We had a doozy. I suspect I won’t have it all cleaned up within this year. I am glad I ordered it when I did as it will get some use. The packaging was awesome and the instructions were really easy to understand as well. One caveat though is the PTO shaft…I followed the instructions but to hook up and unhook, the knuckle at the implement has to be slid into the implement all the way to attach the knuckle at the tractor. Be a lot more convenient it enough slip to not have to slip the rear knuckle on the shaft to the implement for both hook up and removal IMO…makes awesome ballast though. I am a little worried about going up a steep hill with it(I have a very hilly/steep property.)

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
YOne caveat though is the PTO shaft…I followed the instructions but to hook up and unhook, the knuckle at the implement has to be slid into the implement all the way to attach the knuckle at the tractor. Be a lot more convenient it enough slip to not have to slip the rear knuckle on the shaft to the implement for both hook up and removal IMO…makes awesome ballast though. I am a little worried about going up a steep hill with it(I have a very hilly/steep property.)
Maybe I didn't read the instructions on that part. I never mess with the knuckle on the chipper end. I store it on the shipping pallet with casters as someone posted above. When it's off the tractor, I hook the tractor end chain on the PTO cover through one of the top link holes to keep the shaft from dragging the ground. I've found hooking up the PTO shaft to the tractor while the chipper is still a little ways back from the tractor provides a LOT more room to get in there to hook it up. Once the PTO shaft is hooked up, I can manually roll the chipper into place to hook up the 3 point. Of course if you don't have it on a castered dolly on a smooth floor that's kind of useless info.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Maybe I didn't read the instructions on that part. I never mess with the knuckle on the chipper end. I store it on the shipping pallet with casters as someone posted above. When it's off the tractor, I hook the tractor end chain on the PTO cover through one of the top link holes to keep the shaft from dragging the ground. I've found hooking up the PTO shaft to the tractor while the chipper is still a little ways back from the tractor provides a LOT more room to get in there to hook it up. Once the PTO shaft is hooked up, I can manually roll the chipper into place to hook up the 3 point. Of course if you don't have it on a castered dolly on a smooth floor that's kind of useless info.
Great idea thank you…I’ve always hooked the three point first and then I lift attachment (and last is pto) up just to take the slop / tension out and seems like the PTO always slides on easier that way (could be Bs or voodoo, but I believe it works). Anyway I never thought about that…I’ll try that. I bought some casters to recycle the base as a dolly but I have not installed yet…great hack 👍 🥃

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Great idea thank you…I’ve always hooked the three point first and then I lift attachment (and last is pto) up just to take the slop / tension out and seems like the PTO always slides on easier that way (could be Bs or voodoo, but I believe it works). Anyway I never thought about that…I’ll try that. I bought some casters to recycle the base as a dolly but I have not installed yet…great hack 👍 🥃
I attach my wc68 to the b2650 3pont first, too, and raise it all the way before attempting to connect the shaft to the tractor pto. Gives it a touch more clearance. But don't operate the chipper with the 3point raised all the way. It will cause binding in the ujoints and possible, even likely damage. At full height it's just at the edge of a safe operating angle for the pto shaft and maybe even a little beyond.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
My WoodMaxx WM-8H was delivered today. Spent about 3 hours completing assembly. Still need to get 7 gallons of hydraulic oil to finish assembly so it's ready to use. I'm impressed with the quality so far. Looking forward to actually using it. I'll do a review once I get a few hours of run time on it. Of course the fact that it's orange doesn't hurt either.
I have been very happy with my WoodMaxx WM-8M. I have had it since 2015.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Yep, wc-68. I still feel dirty and ashamed on the color. It’s what it is. We had an ‘El Derecho’ in June. I had ordered the chipper before the storm and arrival of chipper (chipper arrived about a week after the storm did)but did not get it until after snow plow went down our road in June to clear the road. We had a doozy. I suspect I won’t have it all cleaned up within this year. I am glad I ordered it when I did as it will get some use. The packaging was awesome and the instructions were really easy to understand as well. One caveat though is the PTO shaft…I followed the instructions but to hook up and unhook, the knuckle at the implement has to be slid into the implement all the way to attach the knuckle at the tractor. Be a lot more convenient it enough slip to not have to slip the rear knuckle on the shaft to the implement for both hook up and removal IMO…makes awesome ballast though. I am a little worried about going up a steep hill with it(I have a very hilly/steep property.)
I have very irregular ground in my yard complete with two rather large ditches, and there's even fox dens back there. The WC mounts close enough it won't cause any problems if you have your FEL on the tractor. ESPECIALLY if you're running it behind that M. The B2650 is very close to my LX2610SU. I just got a slightly beefier FEL (a whopping 2 pounds) and a bit more 3 point lift capacity. My stump bucket is pretty light (compared to the stock one), and I do have ballast in all four wheels, but I don't even get a bounce crossing the bumps and humps and falling off in the stump holes, howeer, I'm rarely running in anything higher than mid range, and mostly in low range because I just don't like getting a beating during my tractor time. Just remember, you've got nearly 800 pounds hanging back there. I won't say it isn't possible to bounce the front tires, but I haven't done it yet, even without the FEL. I took the FEL off just out of curiosity, but rarely do that because most of my work is pushing and moving dirt and debris, digging stumps, etc.

I use the cheap Harbor Freight Quick Hitch($100 when I bought it). I modified it a little to round and taper the ends of the hooks which makes it a little easier to use because it doesn't grab on square corners as bad. What I normally do is put the PTO shaft on the chipper (sitting on the original pallet which I put casters on), roll that up behind the LX, within about 3-4 inches, connect the PTO shaft to the tractor, then shove the chipper up against the Quick Hitch and lock the casters. Crank the tractor, slowly raise the lift, "SNAP!" its connected. It takes nearly every bit of the length of the shaft to do that, but it works. I fit the shaft with the QH on, so I can't use it without the QH (too long). I've thought about getting another shaft that I can cut down for using it without the QH, but can't justify the cost (yet). The chipper and my box blade are the only two attachments I have that are QH compatible, but my collection isn't very large, either. Two more items, a 3-point drawbar for moving my trailers and a sub-soiler for digging stumps are the sum total at the moment. I modified the drawbar to make it as wide as the rest of my stuff so I only have to pull one pin on my stabilizers to put it on. I wanted to make it QH compat, but it's too tall as well, so nope, not happening. I see a welding project in my future.

tractorfix

Equipment
B3030 B3000
Sep 30, 2018
UXBRIDGE, Ontario
I have an old Jinma 8" chipper. Exact same as the Woodmaxx less the hydro feed. The mechanical feed on the old Jinmas is their Achilles. I see on the newer ones that area has been substantially beefed up. Lucky for me I live 20 minutes from the Woodland Mills place . I went over there today. According to them, my B3030 Kubota is underpowered to run their 8" chipper even though it runs my 8" Jinma like a champ, and I put big stuff through it. So I'm going to get the 8" Woodland Mills chipper anyway and see what happens. If my Kubota struggles with it, I'll try it on my 8N. It has more PTO HP than the Kubota and a lot heavier flywheel. Failing that, oh well, I'll just have to find myself a nice old MF35 or a Super Dexta to run it. I also like how the input chute on the W-M folds over for storage. It takes up way less floor space then the Jinma/WoodMaxx. I'm going to get a stump grinder too. I'll report back how it all works out.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have an old Jinma 8" chipper. Exact same as the Woodmaxx less the hydro feed. The mechanical feed on the old Jinmas is their Achilles. I see on the newer ones that area has been substantially beefed up. Lucky for me I live 20 minutes from the Woodland Mills place . I went over there today. According to them, my B3030 Kubota is underpowered to run their 8" chipper even though it runs my 8" Jinma like a champ, and I put big stuff through it. So I'm going to get the 8" Woodland Mills chipper anyway and see what happens. If my Kubota struggles with it, I'll try it on my 8N. It has more PTO HP than the Kubota and a lot heavier flywheel. Failing that, oh well, I'll just have to find myself a nice old MF35 or a Super Dexta to run it. I also like how the input chute on the W-M folds over for storage. It takes up way less floor space then the Jinma/WoodMaxx. I'm going to get a stump grinder too. I'll report back how it all works out.
Their stump grinder is great if paired with a HST tractor. Don’t think it works without HST. Just got one last week to go with the WC-68 we’ve had for a couple years. Hope they work out as well for you as they have for me.