WoodMaxx MX-8500G+ PTO Chipper review - it's great w/o power feed.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I purchased the above chipper for my LX 2610 SU tractor; its primary use will be disposing of small trees and big privet hedge on our property in North Georgia. The things that appealed to me about the chipper are: made in the USA, will operate on as little as 15 PTO HP, price ($2525 with shipping included) and it does not rely on a normal hydraulic feed system. Typically lacking a power feed system would be a serious detriment, but with this chipper I regard it as a plus.

Some basic information: the chipper fit my LP QH10 quick hitch without modification, the chipper comes with a PTO shaft that did not require cutting using my quick hitch, it has clamshell access to the wheel and knives and it all arrived very well packaged including being bolted to the pallet. I paid extra on the delivery for: specific date delivery (varies but mine was $100) and truck with lift gate ($80). Delivery is to the end of you driveway. The chipper is nearly fully assembled; you only have to bolt together and mount the feed chute (20 bolts). After I removed the cardboard box and removed the pallet bolts, I picked up the chipper with my quick hitch, and then I transported it up to my shed.

The feed for this chipper is termed gravity plus by the manufacturer. Essentially, the chipper blades are angled inward, and they slice/chip the wood against a free rotating cylinder mounted on sealed bearings. The end result is that the chipper pulls the material in as it cuts. I used the chipper in two locations with different types of vegetation, and it works as claimed. It flawlessly pulled in and chipped big bushy privet and trees up to 5 inches in diameter, but I would say most of what I chipped was in the 2.5 - 4 inch category. As an example, it chipped a 4 inch round, 15 foot long gum tree with small limbs in 5-7 seconds. I wish I had videoed it. During a couple of hours of chipping, I only experienced a few times of material not feeding. I had two very forked limbs that required me to break one of the forks, and I had a couple of detached 1-2 foot fluffy tops (lots of very thin limbs splayed in every direction) that did not present the blades with enough meat to pull them in. I just pushed them in with the next branch.

Does the Gravity Plus system work better than a power feed? I would presume the answer is - no, but I am extremely pleased with my choice. The Gravity Plus system performed as well or better than a power feed 95%+ of the time. The Gravity Plus system has the following advantages: cost, SIMPLICITY and ease of use. Of these, SIMPLICITY is the most compelling for me. Gravity Plus does not have: a hydraulic pump, hydraulic hoses, hydraulic fluid and belts; instead, it has a PTO shaft with a shear bolt directly powering only the knife wheel. In terms of ease of use, it is self regulating as to the feed rate - no adjustments. Obviously, cost is a price advantage.

When I fed privet or a tree into the chipper, I would simply start the item into the feed chute, and then I would release it just before (a tree) or as it contacted (something bushy) the blades. I did not experience any kick back or harsh vibration. The material would then simply disappear into the chute at a very rapid pace.

FWIW, the diameter limit is 5 inches; however, I believe I chipped one tree that was a bit over 5 inches.

If you are looking for a chipper and 5 inch capacity is enough, you should consider this chipper.

Reactions: 3 users

BC2

Equipment
L4060
Apr 20, 2023
TX
I'm trying to make a decision between the 8500G+ and the 8600, but the 8600 is quite a bit more expensive and is heavier. I am leaning toward the 8500G+ for simplicity, cost, and weight. The reason I'm looking at Woodmaxx instead of Woodland Mills is because it supposedly is made in US and the other is coming out of China. The only reason I am looking at the 8600 is because of the infeed speed control since I may want to control the chip size a bit. What is the average chip size you are getting at 540 PTO RPM (L x W x T)? The Woodmaxx comparison chart shows the 8500G+ infeed is "variable" at 50-100 fpm and the 8600 is "reversible" 0-75. You say you can't adjust the feed rate on the 8500G+. Does that mean there is no feasible way to somehow mechanically adjust it to the lowest rate possible for a day & then readjust it back to the original rate range position after that day? If you run the PTO at significantly more than or less than 540, what happens to chip size & overall operation? If nothing changes the chip size, I am thinking about buying an extra set of knives and regrinding the angles and perhaps taking one edge & serrating it to see if that will make fairly small chips for the times I want smaller chips. Any thoughts on whether that might work or not? Thanks.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
I have an 8600, purchased last summer. The speed is 'infinitely' adjustable forward and reverse as it's a hytdrostatic drive. The feed rate will change the chip size, though I have never tried optimizing for chip size - I'm just chipping slash during fire mitigation and want it done as fast as possible. It's never going to be a shredder - the change is chip size is likely only going to be the thickness of the shaving that comes off the stick being fed in. Think chopping a carrot - the coins will all be the same diameter, just different thicknesses.

I don't think lowering the RPM will change the chip size, because feed rate is coupled to the flywheel rotation. It would just all happen slower, and possibly stall it out due to lack of flywheel inertia.

For my money and sweat, the power infeed was well worth the cost. I think it saves me a lot of time.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
I had an older Goosen manual fed chipper/shredder years ago, if/when the blade got slightly dull-it wouldn't self feed well at all, it was quite a workout. Sold it a few years later because it wasn't getting used, than last year bought the WoodMaxx MX9900, wow, the hydro feed is just incredible! Couldn't imagine not having one without it.

BC2

Equipment
L4060
Apr 20, 2023
TX
Hmmm. Guess I might have to sleep on this some more before buying one sight unseen. The Woodmaxx 8500G+ site literature & videos imply that you don't really get carrot slices out of it ... looks more like little rectangles but has no reference for size of chip. Doesn't appear to be discs or even long stringy pieces in their pix. Don't know if what actually happens is a disc is cut off by the knife and then it gets bounced around inside by the other knives and the flights (i.e. the slingers) or it just comes apart at the growth rings due to the bouncing around before discharge which tend to make chunks from the discs. The infeed speed I am guessing depends on the diameter of the piece being fed in and where the main cutting is done along the length of the knife (i.e. closer to or further from the axle). The main differences (other than the operator controllable infeed) between a basic manual or a hydrostatic infeed and the G+ appear to be twofold: 1. the anvil is not stationary but more like a baker's rolling pin (which may mean that it will still pull in when the knives are dull - but may result in long stringy chips), and 2. I think the knives are not positioned with the cutting edges along/parallel to the flywheel radius, they are oriented at some angle to the radius if I am reading their description right. It's hard to verify that angle discussion just by looking at the pictures on the site, but the manual for both machines shows the same grind angle on the steel knives, so if any angles are different between the two machines, it must be in how they are mounted on the flywheel. Apparently, the rolling anvil is what causes the semi-automatic infeed because it tends to pinch the wood between the knife and the roller, pull, and then cut on the next knife or something like that. I was sort of thinking that if the knives are actually at an angle to the radius as they imply, maybe they would cut better and maybe even with less vibration because it would be similar to the difference between trying to cut exactly perpendicular to a pocket knife's cutting edge by just forcing it straight down without any sawing or rocking action versus pulling it across whatever you want to cut or rocking a slightly curved blade as you are pushing it down. Maybe I don't really get exactly how the G+ works. Hence the need to sleep on it.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
the "rotary anvil" is a new concept for me, so I have nothing to say about that. I am interested to see some pictures of that mechanism, though. Seems like Woodmaxx is fairly innovative.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
The MX 8500 G+ has no adjustment for the feed; the material will be drawn in as fast as it is chipped. The chips are somewhat squarish but very uniform; the shape is a function of the angle of the material contacting the knives - so no disc. Like any chipper, small/fine material will result in more of a saw dust product. Once you reach 1-2 inch sized material, the chips will be approximately the same size due to the contact angle. Each blade cuts as it makes contact.

In terms of chip size, I would estimate they are about 3/4 x 3/4 of an inch, and the thickness is about the standard thickness of a wood chip.

FWIW, I will be up at our property next week; I could try to photo/video the chipper in action and the chips.

Based on my use so far, I would not worry about the self-feed aspect. As to controlling chip size, I am not sure you could impact it greatly no matter the material feed system - think of trying to vary the saw dust size of a chainsaw using chain speed and/or bar pressure. Like a chainsaw, it is either cutting or not; trying to have minimal contact will probably result in greatly increased friction (burning, mashing and etc.) with any chipper.

BC2

Equipment
L4060
Apr 20, 2023
TX
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it would make good chips for garden mulching, walkways & smokers without trying to mess with chip size at all.

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Post a video showing the unit self feed uncut full sized 4" diameter at the base branches of the following:
1. white cedar
2. blue spruce
3. scotch pine
4. apple
5. dogwood

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I just got my grand L6060 in and been looking at chippers. Was thinking of a woodmax maybe WM-8H with hydro feed.

But also looking at a Splitfire 4003 out of canada

This looks like the best of the bunch - except the price tag

BX52RI

For the cost I lean toward the splitfire

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
I'm trying to make a decision between the 8500G+ and the 8600, but the 8600 is quite a bit more expensive and is heavier. I am leaning toward the 8500G+ for simplicity, cost, and weight. The reason I'm looking at Woodmaxx instead of Woodland Mills is because it supposedly is made in US and the other is coming out of China.
Everything made in china if not canada for spitfire and wallenstien

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I just got my grand L6060 in and been looking at chippers. Was thinking of a woodmax maybe WM-8H with hydro feed.

But also looking at a Splitfire 4003 out of canada

This looks like the best of the bunch - except the price tag

BX52RI

For the cost I lean toward the splitfire
FWIW, the WoodMaxx WM-8H is made in China; the MX models are made in the USA. I am sure the WM-8H works well, but it is not the same as the MX series. The MX series is much less expensive than the Wallensteins.

I saw Good Works Tractor's promo for the Splitfire; he was doing a great deal of feeding/re-feeding/pushing down on the material. You could see the kick back/vibration in the branches. I would not buy that chipper. Check out his video at the 9-10 minute marks.

If I had wanted/needed a larger capacity chipper, I would have purchased a bigger WoodMaxx MX; the larger ones all come with a hydraulic feed. The MX hydraulic feed uses only a few quarts of motor oil, and it has a spin on auto type filter.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Everything made in china if not canada for spitfire and wallenstien

You are mistaken. All of the MX series WoodMaxx chippers are made in the USA - in NY state. Their website clearly outlines this difference.

HuntIL2

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois
I'm thinking about ordering a MX 8500 G+ but wondered how did the shipping work for everyone. I can have it shipped to the farm, but that's on a deadend gravel road and after reading the "free shipping" details its sounds like that might not work. My other options are to ship it to my house, but then I need to get it off a truck trailer and into my garage or on a trailer hooked to my truck. Or I can try and see where the shipping terminals are and pick it up myself. Just wondering what others did and how it worked for them???

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I'm thinking about ordering a MX 8500 G+ but wondered how did the shipping work for everyone. I can have it shipped to the farm, but that's on a deadend gravel road and after reading the "free shipping" details its sounds like that might not work. My other options are to ship it to my house, but then I need to get it off a truck trailer and into my garage or on a trailer hooked to my truck. Or I can try and see where the shipping terminals are and pick it up myself. Just wondering what others did and how it worked for them???
The best answer will come from WoodMaxx; call them with your farm address.
That said, if an 18 wheeler can access your address- you should be fine.
I paid the extra $80 for lift gate delivery. When the truck arrived, the driver used a pallet jack and the lift gate to put the chipper on my driveway at the road.

Last edited:

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
my experience was a solid "meh".

I live in the mountains, where a 53' trailer can't be brought. a 24' box truck can do it fine, I've had multiple deliveries from them. The shipper Woodmaxx used claimed they had no box trucks at all, so I would have to pick it up at their freight terminal (about an hour away). OK, fine. I hitched up my utility trailer and drove down there. As I wound my way through the facility to the will-call dock I passed about a HUNDRED box trucks... then proceeded to wait 45 minutes for them to bring my parcel out and load it onto my trailer.

So, the shipper just sucked. All I can direct to Woodmaxx is "pick better shippers", though I don't know how practical that really is.

The unit was packaged excellently and I have no complaints other than my poor treatment by the shipper (Old Dominion). Given the option, I suggest you ask them to use someone other than OD.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
my experience was a solid "meh".

I live in the mountains, where a 53' trailer can't be brought. a 24' box truck can do it fine, I've had multiple deliveries from them. The shipper Woodmaxx used claimed they had no box trucks at all, so I would have to pick it up at their freight terminal (about an hour away). OK, fine. I hitched up my utility trailer and drove down there. As I wound my way through the facility to the will-call dock I passed about a HUNDRED box trucks... then proceeded to wait 45 minutes for them to bring my parcel out and load it onto my trailer.

So, the shipper just sucked. All I can direct to Woodmaxx is "pick better shippers", though I don't know how practical that really is.

The unit was packaged excellently and I have no complaints other than my poor treatment by the shipper (Old Dominion). Given the option, I suggest you ask them to use someone other than OD.
Just to make things more confusing, my shipper was OD too, and they were great. The guy called me twice on day of delivery to update me on arrival time.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I have several WoodMaxx attachments including an MX9900 chipper, the hydro infeed is one of its best features, this chipper is a beast and I spend whole days feeding it with my large woodland acreage.

I’ve found they provide very good support for their products, including China made product, they answer the phone and will help with any questions or issues.

Personally I would not buy a chipper without a hydro feed, the WoodMaxx feed is a very productive and reliable system.

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Just to make things more confusing, my shipper was OD too, and they were great. The guy called me twice on day of delivery to update me on arrival time.
pretty much the definition of "your mileage may vary", eh? I got the impression they were waaay short on employees and making up excuses about no trucks. 100-bay freight terminal and I only saw a couple handfuls of people working.