Woodland Mills WC-68 or WoodMaxx TM-8H or WoodMaxx WM-8H

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Shopping and trying to make an intelligent choice on a good chipper.

Option 1:
WC68 6″ PTO Wood Chipper, Wood Chipper | Woodland Mills USA

I like this machine, and the delivery on it is impressive. The flywheel is direct drive, 200 lbs, and the hydraulic pump (for the infeed) is the only thing that is belt driven. 5 gallon reservoir, but I didn't see a filter on it. Easy enough to add that, though, other than the cost of having the hoses made. Looks like the hopper is a little lower angle which is better for old folks like me who are silly enough to get two rotator cuff surgeries in one year.

Option 2:
TM-86H Chipper for small tractor - WoodMaxx

I like the slightly lower price on this machine, but overall weight is nearly 200 pounds lighter. Where did they take out the steel? Biggest negative is the delivery. No indication of how long it's gonna take, but I can put my name on a waiting list? While they hold my money? I think not, unless it's worth the wait. Looks like the flywheel and hydraulic pump are both belt drive, meaning LOTS of BIG belts to replace if a stick lands in the right place. The plus side to a belt drive is that one is less likely to shear a pin in the drive line. But how much does a 4" x 5/16" - 18 TPI Grade 2 bolt cost? NOT MUCH, especially with a discount at Fastenal.

Option 3:
8" PTO Wood Chipper Tree Chipper Brush Chipper - Hydraulic Feed (woodmaxx.com)

I like the flatter infeed chute, but it's still up pretty high. No angle on the hopper means no auto-feed of small brush/leaves. Primary dislike is it does not have the clamshell type flywheel housing. Otherwise, it's very similar to Option 1. Again, a waiting list with no explanation of how long it's going to be before delivery.

I considered the Wallenstein line as well, but they're a little too proud of a machine that really doesn't have much higher specifications and even falls shorter in some of the fairly important ones. The price tag for a similar rated machine is nearly $2K higher.

I'd appreciate any input from owners of any of these models. TIA.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I can't make any suggestions on your three options only that I have a woodland mills stump grinder and I'm very happy with it. I did consider a chipper at one point and have heard great things about the woodland mills chipper (especially with the hydraulic feed). I think that there are a few forum members here that have one.

One recommendation that I can make is that you change the title of your post. I think you would get much more attention to your question.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
One recommendation that I can make is that you change the title of your post. I think you would get much more attention to your question.
Thanks for the input, and while I'll point out that it got your attention, I'll take your suggestion to heart about changing the subject.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I have a WC-88, and although a slightly different chipper, dealing with woodland mills was great. The chipper has been awesome. The lack of filter I can’t see being much of an issue, there’s likely a screen on the intake pipe? I can’t see these guys scrimping the $100 for a filter set up if it really needed one. Only complaint is the speed control for the feed, its rated for a much higher gpm than the unit, so the usable range of adjustment is small. However, most stuff goes through with enough HP at wide open :) I too like the height of the hopper, but I have nothing to compare it to

MINICUP28

Equipment
B7610, KX-018, RTV-500, JD X758
Feb 21, 2019
COBLESKILL, NY
I've been burned by Chinese copies before. I opted to look for a used Wallenstein at the same price as the new clones. No problems to report. It was used to clear the owners house lot and then sold.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I've been burned by Chinese copies before. I opted to look for a used Wallenstein at the same price as the new clones. No problems to report. It was used to clear the owners house lot and then sold.
I'm looking directly at the Woodland Mills site, not a distributor so I'm not too concerned about getting a knockoff. The Wallenstein doesn't seem to be that much higher quality than the Woodland Mills, and in fact, the two are VERY similar in construction. I simply cannot justify paying that much more for the same machine I can get from a US based company. The Woodland Mills unit comes with a 3 year warranty as well, so if I break it (due to defect or workmanship), they replace it.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I'm looking directly at the Woodland Mills site, not a distributor so I'm not too concerned about getting a knockoff. The Wallenstein doesn't seem to be that much higher quality than the Woodland Mills, and in fact, the two are VERY similar in construction. I simply cannot justify paying that much more for the same machine I can get from a US based company. The Woodland Mills unit comes with a 3 year warranty as well, so if I break it (due to defect or workmanship), they replace it.
Woodland Mills is a Canadian company and the chipper is a Chinese knock off of the Wallenstein.

I have the Woodland Mills stump grinder (also made in China) and the product and company have been good so far.

Steppenwolfe

Equipment
Kubota L3301, MX5100, RTV 1140, ZD331, KX-71, MX5400
Dec 22, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
Shopping and trying to make an intelligent choice on a good chipper.

Option 1:
WC68 6″ PTO Wood Chipper, Wood Chipper | Woodland Mills USA

I like this machine, and the delivery on it is impressive. The flywheel is direct drive, 200 lbs, and the hydraulic pump (for the infeed) is the only thing that is belt driven. 5 gallon reservoir, but I didn't see a filter on it. Easy enough to add that, though, other than the cost of having the hoses made. Looks like the hopper is a little lower angle which is better for old folks like me who are silly enough to get two rotator cuff surgeries in one year.

Option 2:
TM-86H Chipper for small tractor - WoodMaxx

I like the slightly lower price on this machine, but overall weight is nearly 200 pounds lighter. Where did they take out the steel? Biggest negative is the delivery. No indication of how long it's gonna take, but I can put my name on a waiting list? While they hold my money? I think not, unless it's worth the wait. Looks like the flywheel and hydraulic pump are both belt drive, meaning LOTS of BIG belts to replace if a stick lands in the right place. The plus side to a belt drive is that one is less likely to shear a pin in the drive line. But how much does a 4" x 5/16" - 18 TPI Grade 2 bolt cost? NOT MUCH, especially with a discount at Fastenal.

Option 3:
8" PTO Wood Chipper Tree Chipper Brush Chipper - Hydraulic Feed (woodmaxx.com)

I like the flatter infeed chute, but it's still up pretty high. No angle on the hopper means no auto-feed of small brush/leaves. Primary dislike is it does not have the clamshell type flywheel housing. Otherwise, it's very similar to Option 1. Again, a waiting list with no explanation of how long it's going to be before delivery.

I considered the Wallenstein line as well, but they're a little too proud of a machine that really doesn't have much higher specifications and even falls shorter in some of the fairly important ones. The price tag for a similar rated machine is nearly $2K higher.

I'd appreciate any input from owners of any of these models. TIA.
I bought the woodmax hydraulic; used it for a few years then sold it. It was a really good chipper and ran well. I decided to go with slash piles in out of the way spots for the wildlife to enjoy instead. Also gave me a reason to buy a grapple...

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have the WC-68 mated to a L4701 HST. Have about 40 to 50 hours on it because brush piles were getting out of hand. Only thing I have to compare it to is a 110hp pull behind I used when I worked for a tree service back in the day. The big pull behind would chip a 12” log (slowly) and had twin infeed rollers. The WC-68 has a single indeed roller and max capacity is less. Other than that it’s kind of “a chipper is a chipper” from a performance standpoint. The single infeed roller hasn’t been a problem. With either system it takes a little practice to efficiently start a near capacity feed but once you get the hang of it you can chip a lot of brush in short order. Of course unless I’m looking at your list of equipment wrong, you’re dealing with a bit less HP than I am, so max capacity and ability to feed several simultaneously would be a bit more limited.

From a construction quality standpoint I’ve been pretty impressed with the WC-68. Probably a bit better than I expected for the price.

I know it came from Canada or Buffalo or somewhere way north of here. Where it was manufactured, no clue. Woodland Mills was great to deal with. That was pre-COVID, though.

Pics probably aren’t helpful for much other than sort of proving I do actually own one but I’ll attach some anyway.

The other units may be as good or better; no experience with them so no clue. All I can say is if I had to buy another one tomorrow to put a couple hundred hours a year on, I’d buy another WC-68.

81F2F329-0408-4D59-BC6E-CD52799FC68E.jpeg AD5CFE18-E23D-4DD2-A20B-FAECF43E1BA4.jpeg D9A5D62C-5A85-434C-8CE2-03824403648B.jpeg 26FF6275-8EDC-4E0A-A809-A6A8BA16228C.jpeg 73B01355-FC8D-44A3-AFAE-8A4353943A0A.jpeg 496FBDDE-0DF8-4BD8-868E-6BD32A7A8A20.jpeg

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I’m voting for option 3, I have a woodmaxx 9900 chipper and run it a lot, I also own a Woodmaxx rear snow blower. The model you are looking at in option 3 has a variable speed hydraulic infeed, this is a real requirement and will make you 5 times more productive. Woodmaxx is well built and well supported. Take a look at the youtube videos of this unit working.

im a serious chipper user and recommend that you buy as big and beefy as possible, Woodmaxx shares a tremendous number of photos to their unit. This unit has an 8” infeed, that’s an advantage over a 6” unit. Look at the size of the hydraulic tank on the Woodmaxx, it’s important. The Woodmaxx is 38% heavier than the Woodland Mills model, how serious a chipper are you looking for? Dual infeed rollers, is very important, flywheel is running at over twice the rpm compared to the Woodland Mills.

You mentioned a slope Infeed for leaves and smaller debris, what is your intended use for a chipper, I chip along both sides on about 8 miles of woodland trails, I’ll spend days with my Woodmaxx feeding tree after tree into it. I do basic maintenance on my unit but have not replaced any parts or even sharpened the knives after 3 years of significant use.

As far as delivery, I suggest you just pick up the phone, I found the staff there super helpful, last time I called with a question they gave me a discount. They also give discounts for military and similar.

I’m not saying the Woodland Mills unit is bad in any way but the Woodmaxx unit in option 3 is a more capable unit. It is quite a bit heavier my L3901 loader is at maximum limit lifting the Woodmaxx Weight out of a pick up or trailer. You need to consider if your tractor can lug around a 990 lb chipper.

Let us know which option you select, good luck with your new chipper

Last edited:

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Woodland Mills is a Canadian company and the chipper is a Chinese knock off of the Wallenstein.

I have the Woodland Mills stump grinder (also made in China) and the product and company have been good so far.
Strange, I get an upstate New York address.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Don't think the Tm-86h has belts. Mine doesn't.
You are correct. It's the WM-8H that has the belt drive, and the TM-86H is the direct drive with no belts at all (just noticed the direct drive pump). Sorry, rolled the model numbers. The TM-86H has the clam-shell access that I like, very similar in construction to the Woodland Mills, but the Woodland Mills WC-86 has the 200 lb flywheel like the WM-8H. It's a direct drive, so doesn't have the blade speed and inertia of the WM-8H. The clamshell design has to be the better clean-out option when stringy bark and stuff won't discharge. I like the idea of no belts to maintain, but I also like the higher flywheel speed. The WM-8H has a much heavier flywheel (80 lbs heavier) and runs at more than 2x the speed of the TM-86. That's got to be a hungry beast, if I can power it.

I've got 19.5 HP at the PTO (LX2610SU), so my LX can power it according to specifications. I have read lots of reviews and watched some videos that indicate 19.5 HP is enough for a 24" flywheel chipper. I just have to be careful how hard I run it and what I feed it. Nothing left to spare, but enough. I'd be relying on the hydraulic infeed to keep me from stalling the tractor with the chipper. I like the runtime meters on the WoodMaxx chippers. Just because my tractor is running doesn't mean the chipper is. Construction of the brands is very similar, and I've looked at some other models and brands as well. I'm told by a friend that I tend to overthink things, especially when I'm about to spend a buncha money.

I would probably need some ballast in the FEL bucket to pick up the WM-8H with the 3PT hitch and move with it (I have a rather large rock pile from the accumulation of what I've picked out of the yard), but I think the 3-point lift has plenty capacity raise it. I have the LA-535 FEL, meaning 535KG total lift capacity on the front, minus about 20% for it's own weight and the bucket. I think I can lift it with the FEL, but only just. If it comes here on a truck with a tommy lift, I'll just drag it off that or figure a way to get it on my trailer and assemble it where it sits. I can get pretty creative when unloading things. It ain't like I"m gonna be picking it up with the front of the tractor very much. I'm more concerned about keeping the front wheels on the ground when I hitch it up on the back to move it. Once I get it where it's going, no problem. It's just a contest with the flywheel and the LX2610 engine then. According to the OM, the LX2610SU can lift 760 Kg at 24" from lift bar, 950 Kg AT the lift bar. I've gotta look at the geometry, but something tells me I have plenty lift to raise the WM-8H on the 3 point. I have R14 tires (with glycol ballast) which are designed to carry around a backhoe, so the chipper shouldn't be a problem for those.

Thanks for the input. You made me look a little closer by pointing out my dyslexic model numbers.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I have the WC-68 mated to a L4701 HST. Have about 40 to 50 hours on it because brush piles were getting out of hand. Only thing I have to compare it to is a 110hp pull behind I used when I worked for a tree service back in the day. The big pull behind would chip a 12” log (slowly) and had twin infeed rollers. The WC-68 has a single indeed roller and max capacity is less. Other than that it’s kind of “a chipper is a chipper” from a performance standpoint. The single infeed roller hasn’t been a problem. With either system it takes a little practice to efficiently start a near capacity feed but once you get the hang of it you can chip a lot of brush in short order. Of course unless I’m looking at your list of equipment wrong, you’re dealing with a bit less HP than I am, so max capacity and ability to feed several simultaneously would be a bit more limited.
You're correct, you have quite a bit more PTO HP than I have. As stated above, though, according to the specs and a lot of reviews I've read/watched, I should be able to power the WM-8H or the WC-68. I'll just have to be careful with the infeed, but even then, I think I'll stall the tractor before I hurt either chipper. I've stalled my little 3" Murray MANY times, so stalling a tractor doesn't bother me as long as I don't break something. I think I have this narrowed down to two models now. I just have to decide on which model has the most features that I like, or the least number that I don't like. I'd love to have a hybrid of the WC-68 and the WM-8H. I see a lotta good things in both units.

Reactions: 1 user

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have a WoodMaxx WM-8M and have been very happy with it. It is well made and works pretty good with my L3901DT. We had 18 trees pushed out to make room for our garage and I chipped up everything that wasn't made in to firewood. Sometime I wish I would have gotten the hydraulic feed version, but 99% of the time I'm happy with the non-hydraulic version.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I have a WoodMaxx WM-8M and have been very happy with it. It is well made and works pretty good with my L3901DT. We had 18 trees pushed out to make room for our garage and I chipped up everything that wasn't made in to firewood. Sometime I wish I would have gotten the hydraulic feed version, but 99% of the time I'm happy with the non-hydraulic version.
So do you feel like the 8H model is worth the extra $500? I can deal with $500 when I'm spending $2500 to start with. I can't deal with the wishing I'd already spent the $500 for a better machine.

I'm looking for flexibility (able to handle larger horsepower as a resale point, feed rate as a protection for my tractor, etc, etc.) and don't mind paying more for better usefulness and quality. I'm not unfamiliar with chippers. I've had a little mini-chipper (3" Murray) since 2005. I've run a LOT of brush through that little critter. And one of my specialties in my job has been industrial chippers (paper mills) up to 5000 HP. You ain't seen a chipper until you see a chipper that can make a 60 foot white oak tree disappear in 6 seconds. It leaves an impression.

I wanted the BH77 like your sig says you have, but the delay in getting the subframe for the LX machines may have changed my mind. Maybe for the better. That's a $9K piece of hardware that's hard to justify when I need so many other pieces to deal with brush, stumps, sink-holes (from rotting stumps) and general mayhem introduced by dead pines killed by pine beetles combined with 45 years of neglect. It would cost a fortune to hire the work I need done. I'm close to retirement with little else do to except annoy my wife. Spending money on big-boy toys is the least dangerous option. Once I'm done with my diggin, a backhoe is going to be an expensive piece of equipment to sit and ruin unless I pick up private work with it or try to sell it in a much narrower market (new LX series tractors). It would take a long time for that $9K to pay for itself doing small cash deals in competition with licensed operators in the area. I can rent a mini-ex several times for $9K to get what I need done around here. I don't have the cash for a climate controlled shed, and will be lucky to get one built that doesn't leak on my head but offers some shelter to my 'bota. I want one big enough that I can stick a little pot-belly wood burner in the corner to have a place to hang out with my bros in the winter, sip suds, and tell tractorin' stories. I've got a few very ripe old favors to call in, so maybe I can do a little better with the shed than if I do it by myself. Just gotta keep fellow engineers from making me second guess my design ideas. If you want 5 ONLY ways to do something, just ask 5 engineers. That's probably some of the worst arguments I've ever had, including a divorce.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
8H is definitely worth the extra $500. It will always resell well. Rent the mini ex when you need one, the chipper always has work to do.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
8H is definitely worth the extra $500. It will always resell well. Rent the mini ex when you need one, the chipper always has work to do.
Yup, that was my thinking too. Got several neighbors with the same kind of property issues that I have that just might appreciate a neighbor with cool noisy toys.

Again, thanks for the input.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I've been using the WC68 on my B2650 (same as LX2610) for 2 1/2 years. I find it a great match for my tractor and needs. Wood over 6' diameter goes for firewood, all the rest the chipper handles absolutely great! The 3-point handles it's 900# or so easily. Infeed speed adjustment is a little sensitive but I'm used to it.
I would totally recommend the WC68 for your B2610, and would not recommend going any bigger or heavier. I confirmed my order and it was at the end of my driveway in 5 days for me to fork off the delivery truck with the tractor. Follow assembly directions and it goes together flawlessly.

Attachments