Wood stove starting issues

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
Hi everyone.
I've had a QuadraFire 3100 wood stove for about 10 years. One of the best investments we've ever made...nothing better than getting up early on a cold
Saturday morning, lighting a fire while sitting in the dark room watching it burn and the day begin.

For whatever reason, a fire though, is getting harder to start and keep going. Because cleaning the stack of creosote is so easy, I do it very frequently...probably once a month during the burning season. Never the less, I'm finding it hard to start a fire without opening the ash pan door underneath and having the vents wide open. Then, when I close the ash pan door, the fire snuffs itself out. I clean out the box of ash before most every fire.

Starting a fire in the first few years was a piece of cake, now not so much. What are the obvious things I'm overlooking?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Draft.

Have you insulated? Replaced windows? Doors?

Home improvements will often change the air pressures in a house causing issues like this over time.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I agree with sleddog as far as something related to draft.

You clean the "stack;" is the entire vent/chimney free and clear? Didn't know if you meant just the interior stovepipe.

Does it have a fresh air intake? I know some of the modern stoves have them...my pellet stove has the option. If so equipped, is that clean/clear?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Any stove, be it wood (chunk) burning or biomass (pellet or grain) burning has to heave 3 things to work properly, adequate combustion air, proper exhaust (draft) and a low moisture compatible fuel source. You are lacking in one of those aspects.

Been a forum member on Hearth.com for the last 15 yeass btw.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I agree with the others, check to see if a bird or moose may have blocked your vent by building a nest.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I agree with the others, check to see if a bird or moose may have blocked your vent by building a nest.
Bearbait, I would like to see a Moose blocking the vent for a stove. That would be quite a site. I have seen birds, raccoons and other small critters but moose would be a new one for me

Reactions: 1 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Bearbait, I would like to see a Moose blocking the vent for a stove. That would be quite a site. I have seen birds, raccoons and other small critters but moose would be a new one for me
Lol, I can blame it on spell check can't I, yea, dat's it. Thanks Bap.

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
Thanks everyone.

Nothing blocking the stack. I have easy access to it out a second story window, onto the roof of an addition where the stack is...the brush goes down thru with no issues so I'm certain there's no obstruction. Wood is, as my father in law would say, as dry as a popcorn fart.

I'm heading off to check D2Cat's link...I'll report back any findings.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Thanks everyone.

Nothing blocking the stack. I have easy access to it out a second story window, onto the roof of an addition where the stack is...the brush goes down thru with no issues so I'm certain there's no obstruction. Wood is, as my father in law would say, as dry as a popcorn fart.

I'm heading off to check D2Cat's link...I'll report back any findings.
I think you missed what we are trying to say...we aren't talking about your stove pipe, we're talking about the air inlet (baffle) which allows air to enter the combustion chamber. Mine has a 3 or 4" pipe leading outside so the stove can draw air. Some don't have this, just a baffle on the front or side to do the same. If air can't enter the stove through a baffle you most likely have to crack the door so it can draw. Also sometimes if your stove pipe isn't high enough it won't create enough draw. Whatever the case good luck with it.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sure it's clean inside (as behind the baffles)?

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Have you a lot of trees around the house that have gotten bigger over the last few years. They might be changing the airflow over your flue and you might have to raise the flue

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to say I have only had one issue and that was because a bird built a nest out of pine needles just below the chimney cap. I had cleaned the pipe early inthe spring after the season was over,, SO big dummy that I am I never gave it a thought,,, OK every window inthe house open and fans blowing out. SO up I go and ofcourse nothing to cle

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Bottom line is, still takes 3 things to support combustion, just like an engine. Air, fuel and exhaust and you have an issue with one of them. Nothing beats a smoked up living space. Adds a certain ambiance to the house.... (y)

coachgrd

Equipment
BX 1870
Aug 1, 2017
Waterford, PA
I think you missed what we are trying to say...we aren't talking about your stove pipe, we're talking about the air inlet (baffle) which allows air to enter the combustion chamber. Mine has a 3 or 4" pipe leading outside so the stove can draw air. Some don't have this, just a baffle on the front or side to do the same. If air can't enter the stove through a baffle you most likely have to crack the door so it can draw. Also sometimes if your stove pipe isn't high enough it won't create enough draw. Whatever the case good luck with it.
I did miss that. Will check!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
After the stove cools down take the stove pipe off and vacuum out the insides of the stove from the top down. I find that when my stove stops drafting there is usually a build up of dusty crud around the stove outlet area. My stove has a baffle plate that collects the dust in a nice pile and restricts the outlet flow.