Woke OTT deletes deletion thread?

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Thank You sheepfarmer for the "woke" explanation.

I try to go about minding my own business and enjoying life and quite frankly some of this "stuff" is below my radar.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Well I 'woke' up this morning to 2 INCHES of rain coming down HARD...
I suppose the PC 'Politically Correct' cops will toss me in the slammer for misusing the word 'woke' now ???

I've never understood WHY someone has to 'repurpose' an old, well established English word into something totally different. Webster's is prety darn thick, shouldn't need to change th emeaning of any word...

oh well, lighter here, time to check out whast 2 INCHES of rain did to my land...
I am no fan of the PC police and am cranky when folks expect me to keep up with all the new meanings (apparently I can’t use “thug” anymore). But just about the entire US English vocabulary has been twisted and turned for the last thousand years, so it is not change that is new, it is the disproportionate outrage by the current “keepers of truth” that is new.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Isn’t it queer......

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The English language defines "man" when used with words such as Postman, Fireman, Policeman, etc., as the person doing the job, not the gender of the person doing the job. That all changed about 30 years ago, and now we have new words, to define both the job and the gender of the person doing the job, and in some instances, the new word is totally gender neutral. All of this is a far cry from when I learned the Kings English in grade school, multiple decades ago. I thought it comical that there just wasn't a way to reconfigure the word for that hole in the street that was covered with a steel plate, more commonly know as a "manhole".

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

I've never understood WHY someone has to 'repurpose' an old, well established English word into something totally different. Webster's is prety darn thick, shouldn't need to change th emeaning of any word...

Well, you obviously have not woke yet! Me neither... 😄

I started reading that article but lost interest pretty quick. About the time I woke I suppose...or maybe when my eyes started to close? ;)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
The English language defines "man" when used with words such as Postman, Fireman, Policeman, etc., as the person doing the job, not the gender of the person doing the job. That all changed about 30 years ago, and now we have new words, to define both the job and the gender of the person doing the job, and in some instances, the new word is totally gender neutral. All of this is a far cry from when I learned the Kings English in grade school, multiple decades ago. I thought it comical that there just wasn't a way to reconfigure the word for that hole in the street that was covered with a steel plate, more commonly know as a "manhole".
What will be done about the word “Human”...??

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
sheheman. Nope won''t work. have to be shehe or heshe. We are in a screwed up world!
Is this an epiphany D2? I hope not. I knew this a long time ago. It's getting screwier by the minute.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I think the problem is that a lot of people have the strange idea that the First Amendment gives them the right to say anything they want to, anytime they want to, any place they want to.

I don't know where they got that idea - certainly not from the text of the First Amendment, and certainly not from any SCOTUS rulings, and certainly not from any of the writings of the Founding Fathers.

But still, that crazy (and very anti-American) idea is pretty common.

Oddly enough, people who believe that are often the same people who can't understand why a business owner might not want to risk being held legally liable for hosting a discussion about committing illegal acts.

Those same people are also usually very bad at respecting other people's property rights.

It's a strange trifecta.

Reactions: 3 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I had to do some extensive research on the term woke

explains why I never heard it used that way. I aint fluent in that language.

MNVikingsGuy

Equipment
LX3310, FEL, 60" bucket, 60" grapple, 60" box blade, 60" flail, LX2980 blower,
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Part of it I think is the relatively small problems we choose to focus today. Our great great great grandfather's fought a brutal war to end the owning of other human beings as personal property. Our grandfathers fought a global war against the spread of fascism and communism. Our fathers held that line against global communism. All the while (1900-1930) living with average infant/under 5yo mortality rate around 25% - can you even imagine that today? And in our lifetimes we still actually had to fight about whether people could be banned from various public services because of the color of their skin.

Now we fight about whether it is ok to say fireman, whether 1/2 ounce of pot should end up in significant jail time and even whether Dianne Feinstein's name should be removed from an elementary school.

We have lost our way - but not because a few words have changed - but because we focus on the petty instead of the important. We have real problems facing us now too, but instead of rallying around them together as in the past, both sides spend their days taking minor pot shots at one another's character.

We beat slavery, we beat communism, we beat fascism, we beat segregation, we beat childhood diseases, but we will not beat China (not really communist anymore) and will let childhood diseases back in the door (see anti-vaxxer bs) if we keep behaving like this. Time to man up "suck it up buttercup" and fix something real rather than holding onto petty whines (both sides of this silliness).

NOTE: last sentence edited due to freud ;)

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Are you sure you want to use that term “man-up” ....??? 🤣

• Haha

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
We have lost our way - but not because a few words have changed - but because we focus on the petty instead of the important.

Read Marx, Engel, Dewey, the Humanist Manifestos, and Alinsky.

They all understood that controlling the language means controlling the argument, and that means controlling the outcome, and that means controlling the nation.

History proves they were right.

Words matter.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Part of it I think is the relatively small problems we choose to focus today. <...>
Time to man up "suck it up buttercup" and fix something real rather than holding onto petty whines (both sides of this silliness).
Well said. It's the epitome of "first world problems" and we have become obsessed with them, and in the process forgotten how hard life can actually be.

Remember the old saying?
Hard men create good times
Good times create soft men
Soft men create bad times
Bad times create hard men

Reactions: 1 user

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
Part of it I think is the relatively small problems we choose to focus today. Our great great great grandfather's fought a brutal war to end the owning of other human beings as personal property. Our grandfathers fought a global war against the spread of fascism and communism. Our fathers held that line against global communism. All the while (1900-1930) living with average infant/under 5yo mortality rate around 25% - can you even imagine that today? And in our lifetimes we still actually had to fight about whether people could be banned from various public services because of the color of their skin.

Now we fight about whether it is ok to say fireman, whether 1/2 ounce of pot should end up in significant jail time and even whether Dianne Feinstein's name should be removed from an elementary school.

We have lost our way - but not because a few words have changed - but because we focus on the petty instead of the important. We have real problems facing us now too, but instead of rallying around them together as in the past, both sides spend their days taking minor pot shots at one another's character.

We beat slavery, we beat communism, we beat fascism, we beat segregation, we beat childhood diseases, but we will not beat China (not really communist anymore) and will let childhood diseases back in the door (see anti-vaxxer bs) if we keep behaving like this. Time to man up "suck it up buttercup" and fix something real rather than holding onto petty whines (both sides of this silliness).

NOTE: last sentence edited due to freud ;)
our standard of living is simply too high. We have time and have found ways to fill it by focusing on things that there simply was no time for before.

country’s with lower standards of living (amongst other issues) are busy trying to survive, work, keep from getting killed, figuring out food and shelter and trying to get through the day.

Reactions: 3 users