Winter Prep Already?!?!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
OK now I have a question, a little off subject but here goes. My stove uses a 6 inch flue, every pellet stove I have seen is was smaller maybe 2 inch, and the flue is 40 feet from stove to rain cap. Would one of these stoves work in that flue or is that a whole different can of worms ?
Skeets - the stove dirtydeed and I have has an optional 6” top flue adapter.
Not sure, but Tughill Tom may have one also.

Except for using welded seam pipe and caulked joints in the 90, I have it hooked just like my wood stove was. Clearances are less with a pellet stove.

I think some other Harman and Quadra Fire models off the same option. They’re expensive, but I think we’re on 15 or 16 years now, so they last.

Not sure you can connect another stove with the 3” pipe that way.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Lazy man's winter prep.
Pre ordered and paid for 650 gallons of fuel oil.
Left over fire wood will last until it rots.
Tractor is in good shape.
Generator ready with fuel for several days.
Freezer is full and pantry stocked.

Reactions: 1 user

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Reckon I'll do the same winter prep I do every year; change the summer bedspread for the winter comforter----but that won't be until sometime in November.

• Haha

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Gosh, you guys in more temperate climates make me jealous....

I really hate winter, but it's all I know.

Been in central New York all my life. Have never travelled much, and never in the winter.

Have to make sure the home fires are burnin'.

Guess you can take the Boy from the Farm, but you can't take the Farm from the Boy.... ;)

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Vehicles - run the same tires year round, nothing to address

Tractor - drop the RFM and loader bucket after October and pick up the rear ballast and QA plow. Have nearly 100 gallons of treated fuel in stock.

House - Had propane delivered yesterday ( $1.529/gal) and it took 480 gallons to replace last year's usage from the buried 1,000 gallon tank.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Gosh, you guys in more temperate climates make me jealous....

I really hate winter, but it's all I know.

Been in central New York all my life. Have never travelled much, and never in the winter.

Have to make sure the home fires are burnin'.

Guess you can take the Boy from the Farm, but you can't take the Farm from the Boy.... ;)
Planned on moving south once we retired. Now wife does not want to move away from grandkids.
A two hour drive is about she can handle.
She does shovel just enough of the deck to have a smoke !

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Vehicles - run the same tires year round, nothing to address

Tractor - drop the RFM and loader bucket after October and pick up the rear ballast and QA plow. Have nearly 100 gallons of treated fuel in stock.

House - Had propane delivered yesterday ( $1.529/gal) and it took 480 gallons to replace last year's usage from the buried 1,000 gallon tank.
That's a good price for propane. I contracted in October and after calling around to 3 other companies best price was$1.96. Couple were $2.25. Had to have the contract in by 9/1/22.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Skeets - the stove dirtydeed and I have has an optional 6” top flue adapter.
Not sure, but Tughill Tom may have one also.

Except for using welded seam pipe and caulked joints in the 90, I have it hooked just like my wood stove was. Clearances are less with a pellet stove.

I think some other Harman and Quadra Fire models off the same option. They’re expensive, but I think we’re on 15 or 16 years now, so they last.

Not sure you can connect another stove with the 3” pipe that way.

View attachment 87424
No, mine is 3" connection only and it vents thru the wall.
On one I had in my last home, I ran 3" Flexible S.S up to the roof line in an old Triple wall stove pipe from the Wood Insert I removed. Never had any issues other than a Lighting Strike that took out the control board and all the Smoke Detectors... Go figure.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
. . . .
Chim do you own your tank or is that the propane company's?

• Dislike

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
chim - reminded me wife’s SUV needs tires before snow flies….add that to my list.

$1.53 sounds like a great price for propane.

We only have a 100# tank for cooking, so our prices are much higher.

Heck, I filled a 20# last weekend for almost $18 with tax. That’s about 4+ gallons or so?

Ordered replacement combustion blower and igniter for pellet stove, so still have spares.

Those prices were up significantly. Still a lot less than a new stove….

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I was looking for 4 tires for my wife's Ford Explorer, and I couldn't believe how many Blizzak winter tires are available at reasonable prices on Facebook Marketplace. I found 4 like new tires mounted on Alloy wheels in perfect condition for $1000. The wheels alone sell for about $200 each and the tires are just under $300 each, so I figure it was a good enough deal to get her through the winter and then decide what to do, replace the old with new or buy new tires for the old one

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
All of the vehicles have 3 Peak tires already.

Got my split wood (6 cords) delivered a few months ago with a bit (3 cords) left to stack better. I also have about 4 cords of rounds to split, but it's pretty dry already. It's partly exercise, so unclear if I'll rent a splitter this year.

Getting the chickens and duck coops ready for Winter. I'm adding clear vinyl sheeting to the prevailing wind side to give them a bit of break from drifting snow or wind. Still to be done ... getting a water heater.

Not quite time to mount the snow plow to the Ranger, but it's a few minute job. I should test fit the chains, but I've never needed to use them. The rear blade and chains for the L2501 are sitting and waiting.

I need to spend more time on killing rodents. I don't need more in the spring, but know they will move into my outbuildings if given a chance.

Two RVs to winterize.

A few more projects to do before it is much colder.

Not in TN any more, but Go Vols! I'm hoping my Vols break the abysmal record against the Gators this weekend.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Chim do you own your tank or is that the propane company's?
We own the 1000 gallon underground tank. It was around $3K back in 2012. Had a supplier-owned 350? Gallon from ‘90 till then and after the original supplier was bought out they played games. Now we shop for LPG.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Not in TN any more, but Go Vols! I'm hoping my Vols break the abysmal record against the Gators this weekend.
We are supposed to get a 'cold' front coming in this weekend. I don't think it's enough for hell to freeze over and us to beat the gators, but we can always hope 😎

• Haha

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
We own the 1000 gallon underground tank. It was around $3K back in 2012. Had a supplier-owned 350? Gallon from ‘90 till then and after the original supplier was bought out they played games. Now we shop for LPG.
You will be happy to know that the wholesale price of that tank today is over $5k

• Dislike

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I was going to put a 1000-gallon propane tank in the ground until the insurance company representative while doing a physical inspection of the home told me that if there was any underground tank, propane, or oil, the company would charge a huge premium penalty as a result, so I didn't do it. The propane company owns the 4 tanks that I have on the side of my deck, and they don't charge me any rental on them, and up until this year, I was paying 25 cents over the Selkirk price for propane. Then the company was bought out by some bigger propane company and they are trying every way that they can think of to increase the profits. I advised them last August that I will drop them if they don't treat me well. They backed down for this year, but who knows what the future will bring. I average about 5 - 6 thousand gallons a year for the various properties.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Another vote for Harman pellet stoves...but mine is the P68 model. Keep them clean as per the owner's manual recommendations and they will run forever.

I have 6 tons of pellets on hand - but I use only about 3 tons per season. The way things are going in this country the past year and a half, I figured I'd better stock up. I bought my pellets back in May and I'm glad I did; the price has gone up $1 a bag since and some of the stores are reporting shortages - can't get product from their suppliers. Price right now is about $370 a ton which is about $120 a ton more than I paid last year!

Propane (use it only for heating water and cooking) was delivered last month for $3.49 a gallon.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Jeepers - - 35 degrees early this morning….😳

Heard On Weather Channel Saranac Lake up north was 30….🥶🥶

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Jeepers - - 35 degrees early this morning….😳

Heard On Weather Channel Saranac Lake up north was 30….🥶🥶
It snowed up on Whiteface Mt. yesterday and frost here this morning. Oh, the Harman was running and the Cat was very happy. He's missed it all Summer.