Windshield washer fluid

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Here's a new twist on an old favorite!

Last week my daughter wanted me to supervise her checking the oil in her car, and she also stated that her WW fluid was gone. She even bought a gallon at WalMart for the occasion. We popped the hood and she checked the oil no problem and we went straight to the WW fluid addition. As we were adding the fluid, she commented about the nasty smell in the air that day. It was Thursday and we were working downwind of the dumpster so I figured it was some putrid rotting riced cauliflower that my wife likes to foist upon me at mealtime. Friday is trash day so I didn't make a big "stink" about it.

Fast forward to the day before yesterday when my daughter texted me at work and said that every time she hits the WW lever, the car stinks like shizz. We decided to have a look into the issue this evening and I did what every good dad does and start hitting the internet. Turns out that rancid WW fluid is a "thing" and many others have experienced the same issue.

When she got home the first thing I did was ask to see the jug with the remainder of the product in it. Cracked it open and whoooo-weeee...found the problem!

According to the net, the best solution is to get the fluid out of the reservoir (I'll use the HF pneumatic brake bleeder thingy) and replace it with a water/bleach solution...a couple capfuls of bleach to a gallon of water. Pump it through the lines and let it sit for an hour or so. Drain, rinse, and refill with fresh WW fluid that passes the sniff test first.

Any of y'all experience this situation?

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
In 25+ years of working on vehicles, that’s a first I’ve ever heard of that. Lol

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
In 25+ years of working on vehicles, that’s a first I’ve ever heard of that. Lol

Same for me ..... 40+ years of working on cars

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Yes, its nasty. Does she typically have the car serviced some where?

You can also get an algea build in the bottom of the tank and plug up the strainer for the pump. I see it a lot. A lot of dealers/ quick lube centers use a washer concentrate and mix with tap water and thats what causes it.

What kind of vehicle is it?

edit: I read through your post too fast the first time, missed where you said it was from the new fluid. What brand was it?

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Will also add I wouldn’t use bleach and spray it through the pump and lines. Could damage the pump or the finish/trim on the car. I just pull the pump out and spray water through them with the pump out, then reinstall pump and fill. Run the washers with new fluid to flush the lines out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Yes, its nasty. Does she typically have the car serviced some where?

You can also get an algea build in the bottom of the tank and plug up the strainer for the pump. I see it a lot. A lot of dealers/ quick lube centers use a washer concentrate and mix with tap water and thats what causes it.

What kind of vehicle is it?

edit: I read through your post too fast the first time, missed where you said it was from the new fluid. What brand was it?
2017 Fusion purchased used in September of this year. Presume that previous owner had it serviced somewhere. Will have to get back with the WW fluid brand. No issues prior to filling it ourselves. 1-2 capfuls (not CUPS) per gallon is a pretty weak solution...practically City water around here! How hard is it to access the pump?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Yeah I missed the part of it coming from the new fluid jug, why I wondered which one. Ive never ran into it with bottled fluid, its usually the concentrate mixed with swamp water 🤣

mcfarmall

Equipment
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Full disclosure: I didn't look at the jug when daughter filled the reservoir the other day, nor last night prior to posting. Only this morning to take a picture and post it. Had I known it was only +32⁰ stuff I would have made her exchange it and never put it in the car. I took another hit of the stuff and it smells just like propane gas....rotting cabbage smell.
20211222_053054.jpg

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Contact the store where it was purchased and tell them. I would also ask for a refund or replacement. Most stores and manufacturers want to know when a product goes bad on the shelf, so they can pull it and replace it with a fresh product.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
The wrinkled label indicates that it's an older jug, but I question why +32 would ever be sold in MI ?? I know its for Summer use, but the seasons & weather change. I avoid using +32 and I am in the Deep South.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That label says 2018, so the product was made that year or later. Can't imagine those ingredients causing a stench like that, even if it set on a shelf for that time.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
That label says 2018, so the product was made that year or later. Can't imagine those ingredients causing a stench like that, even if it set on a shelf for that time.
They use methanol in some washer fluids

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
+32F washer fluid is water, some type of detergent, and dye. It can grow algae or bacteria. In this case probably contaminated with SRB bacteria that smells poopy. Washer fluids that freeze below 32F will have some level of alcohol in them, like methanol or ethanol that usually protects them from microbe growth. If very old, they can lose the alcohol through evaporation and then get funky. Lesson is to always buy WW fluid with freeze protection.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Yeah the wrinkled label is suspicious. I didn't buy it, but I think it was that way at the time of purchase. Anyway, I found a connector in the line that was right out in the open so I hooked up the trusty Harbor Freight pneumatic brake bleeder up to it and sucked all the stinky stuff out. Put some fresh in and sucked it through the pump. Hooked the lines back together and we're good to go.
20211222_191127.jpg

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The wrinkled label indicates that it's an older jug, but I question why +32 would ever be sold in MI ?? I know its for Summer use, but the seasons & weather change. I avoid using +32 and I am in the Deep South.
It's common around here. And if your getting your vehicle serviced pretty much anywhere locally, they top up the fluid with +32. They can offer the "service" of topping up the fluid but costs less.

I'll burn through it quick come winter during the first couple freezes then fill the jug back up with all season. I have my wife do the same.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I buy the orange windshield washer fluid by the case and my wife can burn through a gallon a month. She has this compulsion that if there is a spot on the windshield that it will interfere with her ability to see out the windshield. I am constantly refilling the container. If it is a very light mist then the wipers are going full speed. She is forever telling me that the windshield in my car is dirty. I just say that I have no problem seeing through it, and if she wants, next time we can take her car and she can drive. That will get me at least 15 minutes of welcome silence.

• Haha

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I hope my rear B2910 tires never spring a leak if old WW fluid does that! Hopefully is something related to a "new and improved" product...

Put WW fluid in my rear tires 18 years ago...when it cost 60 cents a gallon on sale...

Next time I check tire pressure I will have to take a sniff!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I hope my rear B2910 tires never spring a leak if old WW fluid does that! Hopefully is something related to a "new and improved" product...

Put WW fluid in my rear tires 18 years ago...when it cost 60 cents a gallon on sale...

Next time I check tire pressure I will have to take a sniff!
I have 80 gallons of -20F WW fluid that I bought 10+ years ago and have never used.
Planned to put it my Ford 1920 tires, but never did.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have 80 gallons of -20F WW fluid that I bought 10+ years ago and have never used.
Planned to put it my Ford 1920 tires, but never did.
Sniff one of them and report back. Would be interested...

Actually, thinking that most of the WW fluid I bought has a high percent alcohol, I think anyway, I wonder if the daughter did not buy the type that is used in potable RV water systems, and different than standard WW fluid.