White smoke at high RPM

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Fingers crossed for you at this end. Would be great if it was something simple and inexpensive!

Steve

Orange2009

Equipment
Kubota BX25, BH, FEL, 60" belly mower, 48" tiller, Middle buster, Stripe kit etc
Mar 25, 2013
Oxford, Ohio
Well picked it up today, started perfect, no smoke on idle, backed out of their shop, and let it sit outside and run for 3-4 minutes. When it warmed up I increased the throttle to full and the miss and small amount of smoke are still present. They are about 80% better, so I told the supervisor and he had the mechanic look at it, he swears its still just residual bad fuel. He said to run a couple of tanks of fuel and if its still there he will dig into the engine but he said there is nothing wrong mechanically. So bacically ill let it run today and tomorrow As well as try 2 different fuels and see what it does. Once I go through 2 tanks ill deliver it back to him if this still is the case.

uler3161

Equipment
B6000
May 29, 2013
Orofino, ID
It's been awhile, but I finally got around to doing some more testing on my b6000. Here's what I tried.

Bought a HF diesel compression tester. Thought I was supposed to turn the engine over about 10 times, but I had to turn it over about 20. One cylinder was a hair under 400 and the other was a hair over, so I'm guessing my compression is good. Should I have had to turn it over that many times?

Thought maybe the injectors were bad. I took them out and apart and I didn't see anything, but I'm not sure whether I'd know what I was looking at.

With the tractor running in the higher rpm range where the smoke happens, I cracked the fuel lines to each injector and both of them caused the engine to run poorer.

I thought maybe the compression release was engaging at high rpm, so I removed it and plugged the holes since I don't use it anyway. Didn't seem to help.

Coolant level doesn't seem to go down.

The tractor doesn't have near the power it did, but I think that's because I can't run it much over 1/2 throttle without it smoking. It seems to smell pretty strongly of diesel.

So I'm about out of ideas. Maybe there's something wrong with an injector and I just can't see it?

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Compression is fine. Also means head gasket is fine.

Consider pulling injectors and hooking them up to the injection lines so they spray into the air. DO NOT LET THE SPRAY CONTACT YOUR SKIN OR HANDS!!!

While cranking the engine over, you are looking for a good spray pattern. No streams or "ropy" spray... Also no leaks before they pop and spray.

I'm *guessing* that we have a faulty injector. I would recommend sending both of them to a injection shop for testing/rebuilding. Hopefully that will solve the problem once and for all.

Good luck,

Steve

uler3161

Equipment
B6000
May 29, 2013
Orofino, ID
Compression is fine. Also means head gasket is fine.

Consider pulling injectors and hooking them up to the injection lines so they spray into the air. DO NOT LET THE SPRAY CONTACT YOUR SKIN OR HANDS!!!

While cranking the engine over, you are looking for a good spray pattern. No streams or "ropy" spray... Also no leaks before they pop and spray.

I'm *guessing* that we have a faulty injector. I would recommend sending both of them to a injection shop for testing/rebuilding. Hopefully that will solve the problem once and for all.

Good luck,

Steve

Thanks, I'll give that a shot

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I am not sure the spray pattern is bad, so I took a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TOrr-gjXEY&feature=youtu.be

Any thoughts?
It is hard to tell from the video. Having a shop test them will tell you a lot- either they are your problem, or they aren't. I would want someone well versed in injectors to test them- bad injectors can wreck your pistons. It isn't worth the little bit of money it takes to get them properly tested.

uler3161

Equipment
B6000
May 29, 2013
Orofino, ID
It is hard to tell from the video. Having a shop test them will tell you a lot- either they are your problem, or they aren't. I would want someone well versed in injectors to test them- bad injectors can wreck your pistons. It isn't worth the little bit of money it takes to get them properly tested.
Thanks. I was worried the video didn't show it very well. It looked to me like the fuel came out about an inch or so before it started to fan out. I'm not sure if that's what it should be doing. Both injectors seemed to have the same pattern. I guess I'll try to find someone that can test them for me.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Thanks. I was worried the video didn't show it very well. It looked to me like the fuel came out about an inch or so before it started to fan out. I'm not sure if that's what it should be doing. Both injectors seemed to have the same pattern. I guess I'll try to find someone that can test them for me.
Any large truck repair shop should be able to either test them, or tell you who can test them in your area.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I've never used these guys, but have seen some references online that were positive. They are probably only a day or two away by mail.
http://oregonfuelinjection.com/

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Looking at your video I would say your spray pattern is poor. More like a stream. Poor injectors will toast an engine is short order. Chances are you have scored cylinders already, and maybe even eroded pistons. Get the injectors serviced and try it.
They also look like they leak after the initial pulse which would give you the whitish smoke.

Last edited:

amthatiam

Apr 14, 2013
PA
Same symptoms on my B8200, white smoke on start up, slight miss, etc. etc. past couple of times the engine hydro locked then fired, noticed that the smoke had changed from white to steam. Pulled head knowing that at least the head gasket was bad. Found that the head is cracked between the valves on the center cylinder.

The white smoke and miss on mine was from the coolant getting into the cylinder, that cylinder would not fire right away due to the coolant, the unburnt fuel would show as white smoke and than after the engine was running for a moment the missing cylinder would fire and the smoke would clear, mostly.

Head is at local machine shop who has been doing Kubota heads (among others) for years, he said that if the engine was overheated at some point they are notorious for cracking. I can't argue with him as the crack is plain to see if you look close.

My money is on you having at least a bad head gasket. I do not at all believe that you have injector issues, nor do I think that you have a bent rod, though if you do have a bad gasket and it gets worse you could bend one if you don't get it fixed and it starts to hydro lock on it's own (without your mis-hap)

The only way to know is to open her up.

Dan

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
You may well have more serious problems but I would still do the cheap and easy first, and maybe you don't have other worries

Toddzilla

Equipment
Heavy Equipment earth moving
Nov 28, 2023
Dawsonville Ga
Since you say it's been hydro-locked, It very well could have a bent rod. Before you turn any wrenches get a thermal gun and take a reading on each exhaust port. They should be close in temperature. Since it's smoking, one of them will be lower than the other and the one with the lower temperature is the one causing the issue. A compression test will also rule out a bent rod and if all of the cylinders are somewhat equal then start looking at injectors.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Since you say it's been hydro-locked, It very well could have a bent rod. Before you turn any wrenches get a thermal gun and take a reading on each exhaust port. They should be close in temperature. Since it's smoking, one of them will be lower than the other and the one with the lower temperature is the one causing the issue. A compression test will also rule out a bent rod and if all of the cylinders are somewhat equal then start looking at injectors.
It’s been 10 years… bet it’s been fixed.