Which Rototiller for B7100?

justanotherider

Equipment
3ph dump tray; looking for a rototiller
Feb 4, 2011
Eastern Ontario
I am looking for a reliable tiller to use with a B7100 for hobby garden tilling.

I hope to find a tiller that is rugged enough not to break easily; but I'd rather not spend the money required for a full blown industrial tiller if I can help it.

Any insights or recommendations would be appreciated.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Not trying to be an ass here but I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I dont not have a tiller or know much about them but as I was saying a cheaper tiller is more likely to break and get torn to pieces then a higher price one. I'd say look around online and match prices up and go with one priced in the middle. Something that wont break the bank nor will it be completly usless and a boat ancor at the end of the season. As with anything in life a high end tiller your just paying for the name. Then again on the low end of a tiller your buying cheaper parts. I do however hear that reverse tine tilling is the way to go these days but you'll pay threw the nose for a tiller like that I'm sure.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Hi, I think I may can help you on this one. I have an early, '77 B7100. I bought a new tiller this past spring. I looked around for a while at the various models available. I ultimately purchased a King Kutter 48" made for the sub- compact tractors. (thats the line of stuff they paint orange)

It has a gear driven side case instead of a chain. (I think) It is well suited to the tractor but be ready to to add front ballast, weights or something for it. the front of the tractor is light with it on as the tiller is right at the recommended max lift for the 3ph.

I used it in ground that had been turned over for the first time in close to 50 yrs. It worked well, never missed a beat. All in all i'm satisfied with it. If I were to be purchasing one again I would probably buy a standard version this time. the one made for SC tractors is a cat.0 spacing on cat1 lift pins. standard is a straight cat1. I would get it to fit my quick hitch which the orange one will not.

thats my mileage, Kytim

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
I am looking to buy a King Kutter, 48 inch.
I'm happy you've (Kytim) posted this as I was looking for insight on the tiller.
I understand there are 2 different models of King Kutters.
I'm looking to buy the heavy duty model, TG48 KK II 20 -35 HP, 600lbs. $1399 USD
Is this the one you purchased or the lighter duty model?

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
"You get what you pay for" - SOMETIMES NOT

I bought my Kubota together with the tiller. The tiller is a japanese typ Kubota RS 1100 and also send together with the traktors over the ocean. My dealer had a bunch of them in layers one on one. Most customers buy the Kubota without the tiller, so he had a lot them. He offered me the tiller for 150 Euro ($200). (In the end he gave me a discount for the traktor, so I got 100 euro and the tiller!! :cool: ) It has a 2ph that fit to the standart small Kubota's. It was in a used condition. A little bit rusty and some plates have dents are a little bit bended. I used it until now severeal times and it is still doing it's job. Because it is a professional one! And as long I am using it only for hobby, it will last long enough. Same as the Kubota Traktor.

carl

pic1

pic2

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I just bought a King Kutter II 48" standard rotation for my B7100. Of course, I haven't gotten to use it yet. I searched and studied, and came to the conclusion that it was a sound buy. I would have been happy with a lighter duty tiller, because I will only be using it once a year, for two gardens. But, when I compared price versus value, I decided on the KK, at $1390. And, regionally, I had run across lesser tillers for more money than that. And, I could have ordered a cheap Chinese tiller online, but by the time I paid freight, I was at the same amount of money. So, I am satisfied with my decision.
And, as far as standard versus reverse rotation, I personally think that both are fine, and one is not heads and shoulders better than the other. There are WAY to many standard rotation tillers out there doing the job, for them to be an inferior way to till. You decide, but to me, it wasn't worth the extra money.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I always feel that a heavier duty unit is better. I could possibly be proven wrong but I feel my money goes further in return if I decide to sell it. So yes, I bought the Heavy Duty one.

Kytim

justanotherider

Equipment
3ph dump tray; looking for a rototiller
Feb 4, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Thanks for the tips guys.

I don't see Canadian dealers on the KK site; but I've sent them an email. I'll let you know how it works out.

Babyfat

Jun 24, 2010
Grass Lake, MI
www.dakins.com
And, as far as standard versus reverse rotation, I personally think that both are fine, and one is not heads and shoulders better than the other. There are WAY to many standard rotation tillers out there doing the job, for them to be an inferior way to till. You decide, but to me, it wasn't worth the extra money.
Have you actually tilled with both to make this statement? I have and the reverse rotation has almost no bounce and tills in half the passes or less even in fresh soil or sod. jmo

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I am looking to buy a King Kutter, TG48 KK II 20 -35 HP, 600lbs. $1399 USD
My brother had one of these tillers on his B 7500. It was a jam up unit. It has everything you need to get the job done for years. Gear driven in oil bath, six tines per row, very heavy built and fully adjustable. It made me wish I had bought a KK instead of a Bush hog.

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
My brother had one of these tillers on his B 7500. It was a jam up unit. It has everything you need to get the job done for years. Gear driven in oil bath, six tines per row, very heavy built and fully adjustable. It made me wish I had bought a KK instead of a Bush hog.
Bull Dog,
Where are you in Tunnel Hill?
I can't live more than 10 miles from you...
LOL.
KC

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'm about 3 miles south of Tunnel Hill on the west side of Rocky Face. Really it's about half way between Rocky Face and West Side.