Which brand engine oil

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I will take delivery of a new L4701 next week. While I was reading the manual this evening I started wondering which brand of engine oil everyone is using in their tractors. I am a DIY'er and will service what I can within reason and oil changes makes that list. I see the first oil change is due at 50 hrs so I may as well get the oil and filter now and have it on hand. I am also interested in which grease everyone uses on their machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I do fluid analysis at every change in my big truck through Toromont Cat's SOS program and Rotella and Chevron Delo always gave very good results.

I once caught a truck dealership that told me they were using Rotella when my values suddenly dropped. I found out it was Shell Rimula and they were charging for the higher priced/quality Rotella.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Because of the dpf filter you are restricted to CJ4 or other specific oil types, see manual requirements. While it is under warranty, safest and esiest is to stick to Kubota oil and filters even though other folks make CJ4 oils. Save your receipts.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Sheepfarmer has it right. Go with the Kubota stuff, that way if there are any issues, there is no debate about what you have been using.

Pat

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Agree with sheepfarmer. Kubota oil and filters and have found them to be competively priced.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Thanks everyone, I will use the Kubota oil and filters at least during the warranty period anyway. After the initial 50 hour oil change it's a 400 hour interval if I remember correct so that shouldn't be too bad. Good idea to keep the receipts, I will take that advice also.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Because of the dpf filter you are restricted to CJ4 or other specific oil types, see manual requirements. While it is under warranty, safest and esiest is to stick to Kubota oil and filters even though other folks make CJ4 oils. Save your receipts.

Really? Kubota doesn't drill, refine or otherwise have anything to do with petroleum other than branding it. I run Delo but change more often than stated intervals. T6 I'd go the full 9 yards. Do some research, there are other full syn's that are supposedly better.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I agree Kubota does not drill or refine oil. All the manual says is to use a suitable API class oil of CJ-4 type because of the DPF and the correct viscosity for my temperature range which would be SAE 15W-40. I use Shell Rotella T with these same specs in my truck and that should be suitable for my tractor also. The manual lists no specific brand for engine oil like it does for the HST tranny which specifically states KUBOTA SUPER UDT-2 fluid. Either way I don't think I can go wrong using Rotella or Kubota oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
This question will elicit as many opinions as which brand oil filter. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I run Motorcraft blend and motorcraft filter in my ford Freestyle. 140k doesn't use a drop. NAPA gold (made by Wix) in my Ram with Mobile 1 full synthetic since new and it will go through 2 quarts in 5k if I'm pulling the camper. 1 quart if not. Chrysler says it's considered normal. I'm not bashing Mobile 1 or Wix filters. I have run that filter on many engines with no problems.

Follow the recommended oil classification and use a quality filter. I do run a Kubota filter on my bx.

I have to say the one I like changing most is the beetle. No filter to worry about.

Mike
2014 Chrysler 300
1970 VW beetle
2006 Ford Freestyle
2008 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
2013 Passport 2920bh GT
BX2350
and a bunch of other crap

Last edited:

NIDCummins

Equipment
L2501
Nov 25, 2016
North Idaho
Does anyone know what weight oil they are shipped with? I recently bought a L2501, and it has been very smokey and rough starting when I start it to plow. The temps have been anywhere from -2 to 25 degrees. In reading this thread it made me think that the oil might be too thick for this weather. Also, should I be using a magnetic block heater? I'm sorry to high jack the thread. Thanks!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
140k doesn't use a drop. NAPA gold (made by Wix) in my Ram with Mobile 1 full synthetic since new and it will go through 2 quarts in 5k if I'm pulling the camper. 1 quart if not. Chrysler says it's considered normal.
An engine should use a little bit of oil. 2 qts in 5k seems a little excessive to me (yeah, I've heard of manufacturer's claiming this is normal) but piston oil control rings and valve "seals" are supposed to leave a thin film of oil to keep the metal bits from contacting each other. That film is constantly vapourized and subsequently burnt so it must be replenished each and every stroke. I like to see the level drop 10 - 15% between oil changes.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Really? Kubota doesn't drill, refine or otherwise have anything to do with petroleum other than branding it. I run Delo but change more often than stated intervals. T6 I'd go the full 9 yards. Do some research, there are other full syn's that are supposedly better.
No manufacturer drills or refines, automotive or agriculture. They have their own cocktail or blends/markers that identifies their fluids during testing if necessary.

For instance New Holland has "custom care" for their high horsepower tractors! For the 10 year warranty for drive train you have to use New Holland branded products and you have to send engine, coolant, transmission and front axle fluid samples once a year to keep your unit qualified.

We are trying to convey while a unit is under warranty to use the O.E. fluids and filters. That way if there is a failure, no arguments.

FYI I do warranties for my dealership. And yes, in a few cases they do request parts, filters and fluids back.

Pat

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
For the 10 year warranty for drive train you have to use New Holland branded products and you have to send engine, coolant, transmission and front axle fluid samples once a year to keep your unit qualified
Then, under the Magnusson-Moss act, New Holland must supply the products for free.

In the US, a manufacturer can require the fluids or other parts meet a certain published specification as a condition of warranty, but they can only specify the brand name if they supply it for free.

Chrys87

Equipment
L3901
Jun 21, 2016
FL
I just switched from Kubota 15w40 to Delo 5w40. My L3901 runs significantly smoother and quieter now. Its also only $19. a gallon at Wally World

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Then, under the Magnusson-Moss act, New Holland must supply the products for free.

In the US, a manufacturer can require the fluids or other parts meet a certain published specification as a condition of warranty, but they can only specify the brand name if they supply it for free.
I think the difference here is the 10 year warranty an additional warranty and is provided with the condition of using the mentioned products. If you choose to not use their products and the engine seizes, that's the owners on their own.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge

If you are going to quote me! Than do the whole statement or else it out of context.

D2 cat has it right! "Custom Care" program is an additional program if you so choose.

Actually their best one right now is the New Holland SSL 3000hr powertrain and electrical warranty! The extra warranty is free and they do pay all claims without argument.

Pat

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I'm neither a lawyer nor a US citizen. All I can go by is what I can read, so take it for what it's worth.

I have not read the details of this "Custom Care" program. I did some searching and found a number of New Holland "Purchased Protection Plan" extended warranty variants, but no actual contract. The longest one I found was 5 years. It included considerable detail as to what exactly is and is not covered. (eg: "ENGINE: All intemal lubricated parts that are captured between the valve cover and oil pan, cylinder block, cylinder head, head gasket, ...")

Damage caused by "unsuitable" lubricants is not covered. No mention is made of brand names.

Google tells me that the Magnusson-Moss Act applies to any written warranty -- base warranty or extended warranty -- on a consumer product. I did find some very specific definitions of what New Holland considers to be "Severe Service", which by their definition takes it beyond consumer use. (eg: "Any agricultural tractor that is used in a scraper, earth moving, other commercial, or non-agricultural application, for which the owner receives compensation.") So in those cases, the Act might not apply.

Another thought: is it possible that it is the NH brand lubricants themselves that are warranted? Proving that NH lubricants were installed and changed as required would make sense in that case.