Where Have All The Good Times Gone?

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
I remember the days when I could carry my .22 or 20 gauge on the school bus from town 40 miles out to the hunting camp - with a note from my Mom...

I could buy traps from S.S. Kresge (K-Mart for you youngsters)...

I could stock up on ammo at the gas station...

I could buy dynamite at the hardware store (with a blasting permit from the sheriff) but firecrackers were illegal! We smuggled them in from Canada;)

Ahhh....Good Times:)

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Tomcat,
I hear you and feel your pain buddy!
Speaking to the note from your mom allowing you to take you gun on the bus, I've been there and done that too. When I was in the 1st grade during spring break while everyone else was enjoying playing outside I had my tonsil taken out making it a double bummer. When we got in the car to go home from the hospital my mom handle me a present to make me feel better and what an awesome surprise, my very first jackknife was the ultimate gift! I carried a jackknife in my pocket every days since ( I'm 59 now ) and feel absolutely naked without one which is only when I travel by air.

Now I'll tell you the why and it's really quite simple, it's no longer acceptable because of a disease that's rapidly spreading called Liberalism. That disease strips people of common sense, logic, responsibility, accountability, and shame. You were allowed that freedom to take the gun because your mom knew that you would be responsible and accountable for
any actions, knew logically what was common sense use of it if when and where, and you know if you screwed up the shame would be unbelievable.
When the liberals who think they know what's best for everyone else which
were mostly firmly entrenched in the public education systems started to push they're agenda everything turned to shit. That started at the same time as the family unit changed, moms went to work outside of the home
and couldn't pay as much attention to the kids as they normally would, and it went downhill from there as parents weren't as involved in making sure that the kids were "being responsible" and doing the best that they should.
Teachers turned into babysitters in many cases naturally being overwhelmed so they could no longer teach the most critical things that children must learn to survive and fend for themselves in life. Around the time of WWII school children making it through the 3rd grade had the basic reading writing arithmetic down enough to do ok at that time, and today half of the graduating seniors are at a 3rd grade reading level.
Then add to the problem the high number of people shamelessly on entitlements no longer responsible for their actions it can only get worse
and that's how it is today.
I see you're living in Thailand but suspect you at least grew up in the USA.
Doesn't it boggle you mind that there are those who want to fundamentally change America and wonder why?
Al

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Without the shining example of America, Communism doesn't look quite as bad.

I was flying on 9-11. Stuck in a hotel in Houston on 9-13, I was screaming at the top of my lungs when they announced you could no longer carry knives on planes. Great! They made planes "knife free zones!" I got a gun as soon as I could and never flew again without it, even on vacations. Had to give it back when I retired. Haven't flown since.

Grrrrrrrr

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes Sir I hear you,, I walked to high school only about 2 miles through the woods, and in the fall I would head to school armed with my shotgun and when I got to the road leading to the school there was a big old oak that was hollowed out,, I would slip the gun shells and vest in the tree pick up my books and head to school.. after school I headed to the woods stashed my books and hunted al the way home.. Of course I watched the weather really close, and after the hunting season was over I rode the bus. Teachers and everybody knew what I was doing but it was no big deal, today a kid and his/her parents would be tossed in to jail

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
A guy on my posse went to college somewhere in the Midwest. He ALWAYS had a hunting rifle and a shotgun in his dorm closet because they used to hunt on the farms around the school.

What has changed since then? Not the guns. Its society.

We no longer value the stuff we used to and violence is seen as normal. We are so screwed up.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I carried my gun to the shooting range on the transit bus. Got my last batch of firecrackers from a buddy that visits the states often. About 7 years ago. Cant get them any more.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hey Tomcat, did you have one of those canvas bags to hang on you front bumper to carry drinking water on vacation?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When I was 10 or 11, my Boy Scout troop was sponsoring a Hunter Safety Course at the local grade school. Towards the end of the sessions, our instructor asked us to bring a gun from home, and do sort of a show & tell, explaining it's features & such. My dad loaned me a 30 carbine, and gave me a loaded 5 rnd magazine with the instruction that it no be inserted unless it was necessary. I walked the 1/2+ mile to the school alone, (at night) did my show & tell, then walked home. On the way home, a city cop pulled up & asked if everything was OK… I explained myself, he asked if I wanted a ride, which I declined, then he said good night & drove off.
Can you picture that scenario nowadays?
Swat, Homeland Security, multiple Police departments, Sheriff, Department of Public Safety, Child Protective Services, FBI, and the National Guard would be called out, I would go to juvenile hall till I was 18, my parents would lose custody & go to prison, the gun would be confiscated & destroyed, I & my parents would lose all our rights, to vote & own guns, and I'm probably understating the consequences. Thanks, liberals.
When people said "Crime is terrible, people have changed for the worse" my
dad constantly said that people haven't changed, what has changed is the way we treat criminals. Thanks, liberals.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Definitely nailed it.
Youngest of three graduated high school a few years ago. Any tiny little thing, whether it was an argument, something innocent said, or complete nonsense. And they want to pit the kid on academic probation :mad: They wanted to suspend one of my kids for terroristic threatening. All they said was "this would hurt like hell if you got stabbed by this". They were talking about an art utensil. Statement wasn't directed at any one.
They strongly requested that our daughter be placed on probation because she missed a week of school. She had bronchitis and doctors notes!! Plus we showed them the bills as well !! :mad: They said that it wasn't good enough :eek:

Now academic probation is the same as probation for a criminal. Complete with the monthly fees, monthly meetings with a probation officer and a bloody ankle monitor :mad: It's pretty ridiculous to treat a kid like a criminal over being sick.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Definitely nailed it.
Youngest of three graduated high school a few years ago. Any tiny little thing, whether it was an argument, something innocent said, or complete nonsense. And they want to pit the kid on academic probation :mad: They wanted to suspend one of my kids for terroristic threatening. All they said was "this would hurt like hell if you got stabbed by this". They were talking about an art utensil. Statement wasn't directed at any one.
They strongly requested that our daughter be placed on probation because she missed a week of school. She had bronchitis and doctors notes!! Plus we showed them the bills as well !! :mad: They said that it wasn't good enough :eek:

Now academic probation is the same as probation for a criminal. Complete with the monthly fees, monthly meetings with a probation officer and a bloody ankle monitor :mad: It's pretty ridiculous to treat a kid like a criminal over being sick.

Here at my high school - each kid could use the excuse "hunting" to miss ONE day during the season (hunting season!) and it was excused.........
I think they did away from that.......

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
I see you're living in Thailand but suspect you at least grew up in the USA.
/QUOTE]

I refuse to grow up! :rolleyes: I went to school in northern Michigan then moved to Florida but when that got too cold I moved to Thailand.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Daren my oldest daughter was a model student never any trouble good grades everything a parent wants a kid to be,, Now the youngest, a different song she dances to the beat of a different drummer, not a bad kid but didn't take crap from anyone and would tell you where the bear shyt in the buckwheat. Anyway one evening after work I get a call from my Ex telling me I have to go to school tomorrow because YOUR daughter was in trouble,, why is it that when they got into trouble they were MY daughters,, well in earth science class the teacher ,,if you can call her that,, asked does anyone in here hunt? well most of the boys raised their hands and so did my daughter. The teacher goes off on her about how she is a woman and should be bringing life into the world and not killing it. After several minuets of this brow beating the kid rocks back in her chair and said ,,,, I just like the sounds of bullets striking solid flesh ,,, HOLY KRIST:eek:
And I walked in the school and they ushered me to the principles office, and they started, we thing she has a very deep rooted problem yadayadayada all the phyco bable.
And I very politely ask what this problem might be? The counselor said, she likes the sounds of bullets striking solid flesh,, I said so do I what's the problem?
That was the end of the meeting,, she was of course punished for speaking back to her teacher like that. But nothing more was ever said,, and your right today we would all be in big trouble

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Skeets, how old is your youngest?

When I was in 7th grade science class the teacher remarked that human flesh was so sweet it will make you sick if you eat it. I promptly raised my hand and asked him how he knew that?:rolleyes: He threw me out of class! The next day my dad had a talk with the teacher and told him that I had asked a logical question.:cool:

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
The wife and I were talking about such things several years ago and she asked me "Do you know when the criminal justice system got f**** up? And she never ever says a foul word. I told here no but I figure you are fixing to tell me. And she said "When women started voting". When people do not have to take ownership for what they do civilization tends to fall apart. Ed B

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Skeets, wife got called into school another time for our daughter. She didn't date much in high school. She was being sexually harrassed by this boy who asked her out but was turned down. She ended up getting mad and telling the boy "to come back when his b***'s dropped" :eek::):p Wife got the call from school. They wanted to suspend her for it. Wife asked them what they were gonna do to the boy :confused: promptly explained to them bout the sexual harassment that was going on. They said they couldn't do anything about it :eek: Well you know as well as I do about what happens when you tick off a red head :D
It just so happened that I ended up sitting next to the education czar for the state of arkansas a couple day's later on a plane to chicago :D And the guy made the mistake of asking me what I thought of our current school system. :rolleyes: So I informed him of our experiences and the current issue with our daughter. My wife had made such a stink at the school that this guy had actually heard of my wife :D

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
The wife and I were talking about such things several years ago and she asked me "Do you know when the criminal justice system got f**** up? And she never ever says a foul word. I told here no but I figure you are fixing to tell me. And she said "When women started voting". When people do not have to take ownership for what they do civilization tends to fall apart. Ed B
Gee, and to think that I thought suffrage was a good thing:rolleyes:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Tom the youngest is 37,,gawd where the hell did all those years go? And yes in my limited experience some flesh is sweeter than others ;) if ya gets me drift.
Daren
A pizzed off redhead?,, hmmm I dont think I ever seen one of them, coff coff :rolleyes: