When oil prices go up more what are you....

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
going to do?

I think we are all pretty much expecting oil prices to continue to rise. Some of us are obviously affected by it more than others...commuting, type work, etc. But, all of us will be affected by it one way or the other. So, I am just curious if any of you have any plans in place now or in the future if it does happen. I would hate to think we are going to have 2008 happen all over again.

As for me, my lifestyle is about as basic as it gets. I drive a company vehicle and live a few miles from work. I have a 97 Tacoma and a 2008 Yaris car. The car gets 35 or so mpg. I heat with wood. I have two tractors and don't do enough with them to worry about diesel going up.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I'll keep buying it and drive slower. It's amazing how my gas mileage increases when driving slower.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I expect to pay up, and thank the people for the cause as often as I can. ;) I don’t use that much fuel, so I can absorb where I expect the prices to go.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
It won't affect us at all no matter what the price.
I appreciate your optimism. (y)

We will all have to pay it, but I was just curious about the nuances of our lifestyles that may change when things change around us. Fuel prices is one of those big things IMO.

This may be totally counterintuitive and wrong, but (heaven forbid) if fuel prices spike again, I may actually start shopping for a big truck. I am figuring it will be a buyers market if that happens.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I'll keep buying it and drive slower. It's amazing how my gas mileage increases when driving slower.
That's a correlation that few people on the highway seem to know about, considering how fast they drive and accelerate. Those driving big heavy vehicles like Suburbans and decked out pickups seem especially ignorant of the fact.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
It will definitely affect me. I'm recently retired and have been doing a lot of traveling. Driving an RV at ~ 10 mpg will get prohibitively expensive if the price of fuel doubles.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Those driving big heavy vehicles like Suburbans and decked out pickups seem especially ignorant of the fact.
I think many of us with large vehicles disagree. Stereotyping people doesn’t help anything and isn’t valid in any case.

As I told a coworker who drove an econobox to work when I was driving a big heavy SUV. I’m actually using way less fuel than you even though you complain about my big vehicle. I used 1/2 gallon to go to work everyday. He used 3 gallons. The difference was I chose to buy closer to my work, and he chose to buy a nicer house further away.

In other words, it can be more complicated than you think.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
It seemed to me back when gas prices were over $4.00 a gallon, people on the interstate were going faster than ever, as if they were showing off that they did not care how high gas prices were. The bigger the vehicle, the faster it would be going.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Buying extra 200 gallons of gas isn't quite like buying a couple of cartons of toiler paper, it just doesn't keep like it use to. I think everyone reduces expenses someplace else in their budget to cover the increase cost of gas.

Reactions: 2 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
you decide to walk to the grocery store rather than drive
you decide to order stuff in rather than drive to the store to get it
you order more online, have it shipped to the house.

But wait...everything is shipped by....TRUCKS (or ships or trains) and it ALL uses oil. When oil prices go up, so does the cost of everything, which affects everyone including me.

many don't think about that much.

I'm prepared, or as prepared as I can be.

that's why I laugh every time I hear "we are going away from oil". LOL, yeah right. How are the trains gonna move? Ships that bring our chinese garbage into the states' ports? 18 wheelers that load containers of chinese garbage at the port and haul it thousands of miles to destinations? UPS/Fedex/DHL/USPS delivery vehicles? Electric? LOL!! SMH.

2008-2016 taught us some lessons but the masses thought that what the previous president said hurt their little feewings. what a screwed up country we live in but then again I've been saying that for years.

ain't seen nothing yet. First week, thousands of jobs axed. Price of fuels fixing to go way up indirectly as a result of shut down of keystone xl. Just the tip of the icerberg, unfortunately. Depressing for us patriots.

Reactions: 6 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You know back when gas was close to 4 bucks a gallon, one of the girls, was laughing at my truck saying how much gas I used every day and how she could go for 2 weeks on what I spent a day. I said thats pretty cool but can you get 3 calf's, a ton of gravel or load manure for the garden or a cord of fire wood in the back of her honda? She never said a word just walked away

Reactions: 7 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
You know back when gas was close to 4 bucks a gallon, one of the girls, was laughing at my truck saying how much gas I used every day and how she could go for 2 weeks on what I spent a day. I said thats pretty cool but can you get 3 calf's, a ton of gravel or load manure for the garden or a cord of fire wood in the back of her honda? She never said a word just walked away
Yeah. I have a tough enough time getting by with my little Tacoma. If I had to choose between my car or truck, even with high gas prices, I would have to choose my truck. But, my truck does not really get bad gas mileage, being a 4 cylinder. But, there are many that just drive a big ol" truck and do nothing with it, other than maybe commute to work. I am not saying that is wrong. It is a choice, but man it can get expensive in a hurry.

And adding to what Lugbolt said, oil is part of EVERYTHING now. I do get a kick out of the ignorance of those saying to ditch oil. We travel on oil, wear products made from oil, even eat it. It is in almost everything, and if not, oil was probably used in some way to make it or get it there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's a correlation that few people on the highway seem to know about, considering how fast they drive and accelerate. Those driving big heavy vehicles like Suburbans and decked out pickups seem especially ignorant of the fact.
That's a rather rude comment in my opinion!
I drive a decked out 2500HD P.U. and I'm not ignorant to much of anything.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm really more worried about the cost of building products.
They have been going up and up and up since last year.
Example sheet of 7/16 OSB, last spring was $5.80 now $33.85
And there are hundreds of other examples of huge price increases.
Can't blame them on oil price rises, as that wasn't a thing over the summer.

I got lucky and bought 95% of all the lumber I needed for our new house build over the last 5 years, if I hadn't I couldn't even afford 1/6th of the house we have built.

Reactions: 6 users

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
Well it might get blocked or edited but my wife says there is 2 types of guys the guys that use there trucks and the guys that have an extension of there under belt above the knees. Not trying to start sh*t. Lol I've got a 2500 duramax and we plow, salt mow lawns and haul hay, sawdust, sap tanks, gravel, etc mine gets used daily like a truck but hey that's why I bought it. It gets maintained but I dont cry if I scratch it when using it.

Bisleybob

Equipment
B7500
Aug 15, 2020
Harding Pennsylvania
My truck averages around 12mpg, and around 8mpg when towing the camper. Already told the wife no out of state trips this season. I have a 27 mile trip each way to work 5 days a week, and I often drive my truck as it is much more comfortable than my beater, but as prices rise I will drive the beater more, and maybe even the bike, and dodge the deer!

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
When you realistically look around you and note the cost of everything else, gas/fuel prices are the least of your worries. If anyone can buy a new truck now days, the cost of using it is minimal. We tend to focus one something and make it bigger then it is.

The last time gas was very high you'd be hearing " we can't go on vacation because of the price of gas". Gas is the least of your cost when stopping at McDonald's for lunch is around $18. room for the night $60 +, steak dinner $40 plus.
NIW stated OSB went from $5.80 to $33.80 a sheet. Not to mention groceries price now.
Lets get off how we're going to survive the price of gas/fuel, and move our worries to something more realistic.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
All will be fine. Costco announced they are raising their minimum wage to $16 an hr. and others are right behind in income increases. Doesn't that solve all the problems?

Oh, Toyboy, where are you finding a room for $60 a night? Did you mis-type and need a one right after the dollar sign?