What is 72", 60" mower, blade etc.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
obviously that is a width measurement of the implement then a 32" monitor is not really 32 width but diagonal. Sooooo with that. Am I correct that for blades, plows etc.. 60"/5ft is just that from edge to edge of the blade where a mower is NOT cutting width but housing width so 72" is NOT 6ft cut but closer to 5ft.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
obviously that is a width measurement of the implement then a 32" monitor is not really 32 width but diagonal. Sooooo with that. Am I correct that for blades, plows etc.. 60"/5ft is just that from edge to edge of the blade where a mower is NOT cutting width but housing width so 72" is NOT 6ft cut but closer to 5ft.

mmm...........my 60" MMM deck cuts about 60"..........the deck with shoot in the up position is about 62" wide.........

Woody Martin

Equipment
2013 L3200 HST, 66" Loader, R-4's, L/P 1672 , L/P Box grader, L/P 1572 Rear Blad
Apr 24, 2014
Brazil, Indiana
Sounds like a jacked up conversation. . If you have 72", fix it and run that bitch. or get rid of it

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I guess I have never put a tape measure on mine, However My 60" land pride mower certainly does not leave a 48" cut width. I just sold my Woods 72" mower and once again if it cut a path less than 72" it was not much less. I believe the stated width of the mower is the width of the cut not the mower housing.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My 60" finish mower is 60" wide, and has a 58" cutting width. I would assume some of it would depend on the manufacturer on wether or not it's a 60" cut or width. My blade is 60" wide

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Depends somewhat on manufacturer and how they choose to "sell" the numbers for their equipment.

Look for asteriks and numbered notes in the sales literature or online and you'll often see words like, "nominal", "manufacturer's estimate", and other novel ways of escaping liability for their overwrought salesmanship. I've seen the word 'approximately' used, as if they themselves weren't certain what they were fabricating or selling.

My experience is that the actual cutline produced by a mower varies from about two inches less than 'rated' all the way to an exact match to the label stuck on the machine.

I figure that much--couple inches or even more--is lost when overlapping swaths to be certain ridges aren't left in the lawn / pasture.

I'd rather have a good quality machine that cuts 1-in less than advertised than a lightweight flimsy sheetmetal cutter that won't last.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Sounds like a jacked up conversation. . If you have 72", fix it and run that bitch. or get rid of it
It's logical question when thinking in advance about door width to store it, trailer width to move it etc etc etc

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It's logical question when thinking in advance about door width to store it, trailer width to move it etc etc etc
you got that last part right..............

it is a beeeauch to get a 60" mmm on a 5 foot trailer......

story of my life - two inches too long.....:D

oooopppps..... i meant two inches too short!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would say that's a honest concern.

I believe you'll find most brands are rated on working width, not overall width.

With the exception of my 3008 Bushhog all my implements are rated on working width. The 3008 is advertised 8' but the actual cut is 98".

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Well, I'm in the camp of 'does it really matter'? I mean, so many other factors control speed of travel, etc. that a couple of missing inches might force you to make one more pass on a larger property. On a super huge property, you wouldn't be using a single rotary anyway. You'd be into the bat wing or multi gang designs.

If one is advertised at 60" but has a 58" cut, I wouldn't prop that up as an argument for or against it. Price and reliability would be larger factors for me. Then again, I put weight on, hey... that one matches my paint job! LOL! :D

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Well, I'm in the camp of 'does it really matter'? I mean, so many other factors control speed of travel, etc. that a couple of missing inches might force you to make one more pass on a larger property. On a super huge property, you wouldn't be using a single rotary anyway. You'd be into the bat wing or multi gang designs.

If one is advertised at 60" but has a 58" cut, I wouldn't prop that up as an argument for or against it. Price and reliability would be larger factors for me. Then again, I put weight on, hey... that one matches my paint job! LOL! :D
again point for mowers was OVERALL Width for putting on to trailers, how wide your door needs to be for shed etc. Mine was advertised as a Tractor with a 5 foot belly mower..... well its not.... it measures 72" wide BEFORE the add on skids adding another inch so now it wont as easily fit in the storage I had intended to use with this tractor. Might have been a miss print ad and was suppose to be a 6 foot mower advertised. Not complaining I get more cut at all. :d

question came to me also cause at 72" and assuming it is actually a 6foot mower it must cut bit less than 6 foot or the blades would hit the walls of the housing.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
True, and I should've addressed that more clearly in my comments as the thread has strayed a bit from the original point. My comments were more to the strayed aspect of cut width than the original reason for the post. My apologies.