What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I mowed more weeds and filled up all the wildlife buckets and totes that feed the small waterers.
20230823_120218.jpg

Added another splash/drink station for the birds, it drips 1 drop per second.
20230823_145126.jpg

Reactions: 11 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Reactions: 1 user

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
We are in the middle of a large solar install at our house......39 panels in all, 2 stand alone arrays of 12 panels each and 15 more on the roof of the Morton building we had build last year. Part of this project is installing a sub panel bringing power to the Morton as well which of course will be a game changer.

Of course they needed to dig a 30" deep trench in my driveway covering about 200' or so.....which made a fantastic mess of things.....and found ALL the rocks. While they were able to backfill a portion of the material with the mini-ex, it was a mess and there was a large pile of material still remaining due to the lack of compaction.

So, without a compactor, I went with the best option I could control which was me spreading the material with the bucket and box blade while pulling out as many rocks as possible. Then packing things down with the weight of the tractor and filled tires....... I will most likely need a truckload of top cover crusher run etc. to set things up for Winter.

they should backfill the rest by the Morton and arrays today.....plus install the last couple panels on each array.

IMG_5066.jpeg
IMG_5068.jpeg
IMG_5069.jpeg
IMG_5070.jpeg
IMG_5072.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: 10 users

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
We are in the middle of a large solar install at our house......39 panels in all, 2 stand alone arrays of 12 panels each and 15 more on the roof of the Morton building we had build last year. Part of this project is installing a sub panel bringing power to the Morton as well which of course will be a game changer.

Of course they needed to dig a 30" deep trench in my driveway covering about 200' or so.....which made a fantastic mess of things.....and found ALL the rocks. While they were able to backfill a portion of the material with the mini-ex, it was a mess and there was a large pile of material still remaining due to the lack of compaction.

So, without a compactor, I went with the best option I could control which was me spreading the material with the bucket and box blade while pulling out as many rocks as possible. Then packing things down with the weight of the tractor and filled tires....... I will most likely need a truckload of top cover crusher run etc. to set things up for Winter.

they should backfill the rest by the Morton and arrays today.....plus install the last couple panels on each array.

View attachment 109977 View attachment 109978 View attachment 109979 View attachment 109980 View attachment 109981
That is a large solar project. We recently had 18 panels installed on our "barndominium" project as "Phase 1" of our solar installation. We will do another 18 panels next year as "Phase 2" once we receive our tax credit in March from the Phase 1 install. We are 100% electric and fortunate that our provider offers 1:1 net metering, so we hope to be at or very near zero from the grid once the whole project is completed.

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Quite the project. That line doesn't look like it's 30" deep though.
It needed to be 24".......some areas they went deeper to about 30"...... inspector came out and measured yesterday before they backfilled.......regardless it is 50% buried and closed up now :)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It needed to be 24".......some areas they went deeper to about 30"...... inspector came out and measured yesterday before they backfilled.......regardless it is 50% buried and closed up now :)
I was just making a comment because you said, "Of course they needed to dig a 30" deep trench in my driveway..."

When a code is required for a line to be a particular depth the depth is measured from the TOP of the (in this case) conduit, not the soil it is laying on. Some inspectors are particular and some lenient. It's the luck of the draw!

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
That is a large solar project. We recently had 18 panels installed on our "barndominium" project as "Phase 1" of our solar installation. We will do another 18 panels next year as "Phase 2" once we receive our tax credit in March from the Phase 1 install. We are 100% electric and fortunate that our provider offers 1:1 net metering, so we hope to be at or very near zero from the grid once the whole project is completed.
We are in a similar situation in that we use a LOT of power.......well pump, hot water heater, forced hot air heating, centra A/C, mini-splits for the basement, hot tub, etc. add in some of the nation's highest electrical rates and our electric bill is between $350 and 650/month so the payoff timeline for us on this is only in the 8-9 year range.

This is a retirement play for us (we 48 and 49).......I can't control property taxes or healthcare costs we will face in retirement but I can do this and eliminate the bulk if not all our power expense and if we eventually move to at least one vehicle being an EV we are controlling even more of our expenses as a hedge against energy costs.

39 panels for us feels like a small substation but we clearly need it.

Reactions: 1 users

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
I was just making a comment because you said, "Of course they needed to dig a 30" deep trench in my driveway..."

When a code is required for a line to be a particular depth the depth is measured from the TOP of the (in this case) conduit, not the soil it is laying on. Some inspectors are particular and some lenient. It's the luck of the draw!
All good.....wasn't arguing. I personally don't care either way as I'm not the one digging.....just wrote the check :). Our inspector is familiar with me and our projects......Morton building, finished basement etc. He picks his spots to be particular......

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

View attachment 109977 View attachment 109978 View attachment 109979 View attachment 109980 View attachment 109981
Looks nice.......and seems expensive!

John D 2

Equipment
B2601 54inch MMM, carry all, boom pole, fertilizer spreader.
Jun 6, 2023
Texas
I mowed more weeds and filled up all the wildlife buckets and totes that feed the small waterers.
View attachment 109960

Added another splash/drink station for the birds, it drips 1 drop per second.
View attachment 109961
Good for you. With the lack of rain, everything needs a drink. We also put out water for the wildlife to drink. They come in at night to drink water.

With no rain here in about 2 months, the ground vegetation is mostly non existent,

so my wife puts a 2.5 gallon bucket of corn in 7-8 smaller piles all over the back yard every evening.

Every morning the piles are gone.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Good for you. With the lack of rain, everything needs a drink. We also put out water for the wildlife to drink. They come in at night to drink water.

With no rain here in about 2 months, the ground vegetation is mostly non existent,

so my wife puts a 2.5 gallon bucket of corn in 7-8 smaller piles all over the back yard every evening.

Every morning the piles are gone.
Where abouts are ya located?

EDIT: Haha short term memory LOSS,, we talked about this 2 weeks ago.

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Looks nice.......and seems expensive!
It isn't cheap.....BUT the reality is between the tax incentives and the fact we have such an expensive electrical bill it pays for itself in 8-9 years and after that "free power" as we think about entering "retirement" in about 10 years........ High level math is $80K less 30% tax credit next Spring then debt service on the remainder which is a wash on our current electric bill.......so basically if we keep paying our average electric bill but against the loan vs. the electric company we will be paid off in 8-9 years. Depending on how much if any we over produce we can pay it down sooner.

In the meantime, we effectively locked in our electric bill for the next 8-9 years and I don't care if rates go up at all.......

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
We are in a similar situation in that we use a LOT of power.......well pump, hot water heater, forced hot air heating, centra A/C, mini-splits for the basement, hot tub, etc. add in some of the nation's highest electrical rates and our electric bill is between $350 and 650/month so the payoff timeline for us on this is only in the 8-9 year range.

This is a retirement play for us (we 48 and 49).......I can't control property taxes or healthcare costs we will face in retirement but I can do this and eliminate the bulk if not all our power expense and if we eventually move to at least one vehicle being an EV we are controlling even more of our expenses as a hedge against energy costs.

39 panels for us feels like a small substation but we clearly n

39 panels for us feels like a small substation but we clearly need it.
We're a bit closer to retirement but thinking in similar terms. This is a recreational property for us so we're trying to minimize our monthly expenses related to it. We are also trying to keep those monthly costs down so one day when our two children and their children "inherit" the property they don't inherit something that's going to cost them a bunch of money just to keep it. We also plan to set up a trust for taxes, and routine maintenance. We figure our payback is about 10 years and all of the equipment is guaranteed for 25 years. We opted to use the grid as our "batteries" for now but the system is capable of batteries if the technology improves to the point it would be worth it, primarily to serve as a "backup generator". Here's a photo of our current setup. Phase 2 will go on the other side of the same roof which has a SW orientation.
1692901165718.png

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
We're a bit closer to retirement but thinking in similar terms. This is a recreational property for us so we're trying to minimize our monthly expenses related to it. We are also trying to keep those monthly costs down so one day when our two children and their children "inherit" the property they don't inherit something that's going to cost them a bunch of money just to keep it. We also plan to set up a trust for taxes, and routine maintenance. We figure our payback is about 10 years and all of the equipment is guaranteed for 25 years. We opted to use the grid as our "batteries" for now but the system is capable of batteries if the technology improves to the point it would be worth it, primarily to serve as a "backup generator". Here's a photo of our current setup. Phase 2 will go on the other side of the same roof which has a SW orientation.
View attachment 110009
Looks very nice!

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
View attachment 110009

Outstanding !!!! Solid plan. I can't wait to get up and running, system is functional as of an hour ago or so, just need final inspection then the wait on the utility to come out and install a bi-directional meter.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thank you. Still lots of work for me and my Kubota tractor. We need to prep the land and get some grass planted in the next 4-6 weeks.
The next few weeks are absolutely the very best time to plant grass!