What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

2drx4

Equipment
B7100
Jul 24, 2023
PG, BC, Canada
www.4x4north.com
And.......for many years I have used bleach to spot KILL weeds that come up through my white shell driveway.
Different strokes for different folks ?
What strength do you use? And how much? Apply to the leaves or around it to get the roots?

I use cleaning vinegar because I don't like herbicides near the well. Always looking for alternatives to try.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
What strength do you use? And how much? Apply to the leaves or around it to get the roots?

I use cleaning vinegar because I don't like herbicides near the well. Always looking for alternatives to try.
I use straight 5% bleach, applied to the leaves, but growth is very early/small, so probably some gets to roots as well.
Glyphosate is probably a bit better, and I usually use it.
I am 200+ ft. from well, so don't consider either product to be a problem.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
So…what did your wife reply to your question? At my house that would have the start of a lousy evening.

Hopefully the horse and the pond don’t meet again. Maybe a few overhead misters in the paddock will make everyone happy?

Oh, nice choice on your tractor. I’m partial to the 30s and 40s.
She thanked me for helping get her out. I think she realized it all ended well. Could have been real bad. After I had the horse out of the mud and on the bank I had to toss the rope to my wife and tug on it to get her out of the mud. I think she realized if I had not been home things could have gotten catastrophic.

Reactions: 2 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
And.......for many years I have used bleach to spot KILL weeds that come up through my white shell driveway.
Different strokes for different folks ?
Fred...it's not highly constrated with bleach when he disinfects the fresh water tank.

I also disinfect our RV fresh water tank with 1 cup of bleach for the 40 gallon tank. No issues with it killing the grass.

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Fred...it's not highly constrated with bleach when he disinfects the fresh water tank.

I also disinfect our RV fresh water tank with 1 cup of bleach for the 40 gallon tank. No issues with it killing the grass.
^^^^^^ (y)

Agreed. Bleach beyond a certain concentration will kill grass/flowers. Properly diluted....it is not an issue at all. So quite possible for two folks to have two different experiences with it.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Nice looking blind!
Here is another one I have, this is my primary hunting blind. It's mounted on an old boat trailer(portable) because in its previous use of hunting at leases and family farm land. Parked permanently on my own place now, no more family drama of hunting at the family farm or at the leases to deal with.
I have different rules at my place, lol, like prohibited from talking bad about Jesus or Merle Haggard, cause we all need Jesus in our lives, but talking bad about Merle...well, that will get you kicked off.

20230821_184954.jpg

20230821_185012.jpg

I have a lot of work to do this Fall, doubt I will be able to document all my activities, but here are some things I did last year.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Oh.... I did not understand that the bleach was water diluted.
In the past I have dumped 2 or 3 gals. of straight 5% bleach in my 200' well, opened all faucets until smell is obvious, go to bed for the night, then in AM turn on outside spigots until bleach smell was gone.
Worked well to clean up iron for up to 6 mos. at a time.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Oh.... I did not understand that the bleach was water diluted.
In the past I have dumped 2 or 3 gals. of straight bleach in my 200' well, opened all faucets until smell is obvious, go to bed for the night, then in AM turn on outside spigots until bleach smell was gone.
Worked well to clean up iron for up to 6 mos. at a time.
In this neck of the woods, you might need 10 times that amount of bleach to get rid of the iron in the water and it would only last but a few months. At my old house, I had filters on the water line, and after 3 months they were so clogged with iron bacteria that it was like chocolate pudding. Luckily even though the old house and the new one are only about 1/4 mile apart, the new house well doesn't have the same iron problems that the old one did. Whenever we were going to be gone for a couple of weeks, I would put 2 or 3 cups of swimming pool chlorine powder down the well and recirculate it through the garden hose back into the well. When we came back, I would open the hose bibs and let it run for a few hours until the water didn't smell like Clorox. We used bottled water until all the chlorine was out of the water. For this house, it only took one treatment like the above to clean and disinfect the well when it was drilled. The house sat empty for a year during construction, so the well had plenty of time to clean itself of the chlorine. What most people don't realize is that the water in the drilled well is constantly flowing through the fissures in the rock. The chlorine oxidizes the iron in the water inside the well casing.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
The little town I live in ain't as little as it was when I moved here
Very nice. Where is the new property? I was up there last week and the drive between Alabaster and Columbiana had a lot of great looking land.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
This morning, I'm just sitting in the SVL and enjoying some beer, enjoying the AC, charging the battery, listening to the weather radio
20230822_114056.jpg

Not a whole of rain or wind to speak of as so far.
20230822_113850.jpg

Safer than being in a POS mobile home!!
Screenshot_20230822_114348_Wireless emergency alerts.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I seldom report any usage of my tractors, but today was different. Been extraordinarily hot and dry, and the last few days been near or at 100 deg. My wife has a portable yard ornament and felt sorry for her and let her in the back yard, I think to allow her to get in the pond.

Well, I'm inside staying out of the heat and about 5PM my wife comes in with a concerned voice and declares Misty is in the pond and stuck in the mud. The pond has clay so thick you could make pottery out of it and the horse can't get out!

I gather a 20' nylon flat toe rope, a piece of chain, put them in the bucket on my L4240. When I get to the edge of the pond my wife is beside the horse with a lead rope around her neck and holding her head up a bit. I toss the toe rope out and ask her to put it under the horse and behind her front legs. Well, she can't reach down to get the rope under and around, so after a couple of tries I tell her to put where ever she can reach but at least behind one leg if at all possible. I needed to extend the toe rope with the chain a bit and hooked it to one of the hooks on the loader. Good ole HST, locked in 4x4, low, turtle I ease back and that monster comes out real gently!

My wife's shoes are still at the bottom of the pond!!

I helped her get a hose hooked up to rinse the mud off her, the horse and my shoes.

My response was, "What did you learn from that experience?"
I would like to seen the video or pictures of that!
Sounds like something that could happen here but all we have is 3 rescue dogs. The oldest is going blind but he still knows where the pond is and if it sunny he can see the sticks we throw to retrieve them. Yesterday we went out that way for a dog walk and he ran down and swam across for a quick dip.
It is all good and makes us smile.

Bill

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Very nice. Where is the new property? I was up there last week and the drive between Alabaster and Columbiana had a lot of great looking land.
Just south of Clanton. Prattville is closer than Alabaster, but not by much, and still have to back-track a bit to go south. Going for the home inspection tomorrow to see if there's any deal breakers. As long as there's no termites or crazy electrical problems inside the house, I don't see a problem. I'd like for the seller to at least clean the pool up, but I'm not going to let that be the end of the sale. Just gotta find out how hard he wants to play ball. He came 30 off list, but IMO it needed to be a little more. A lot of cleaning could have been done for that asking price, and yet NONE was done. FIRST thing that's gotta happen is cutting the grass. It's VERY thick and tall already, and I don't want it to get away from me. Gonna have to get a finish mower behind the LX ASAP.

Reactions: 1 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
I did manage to mow a couple acres, until the damn lighting stated around 7pm.
20230822_192658.jpg

All the rain is South of me, been like that for hours.
Screenshot_20230822_193341_AccuWeather.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Just south of Clanton. Prattville is closer than Alabaster, but not by much, and still have to back-track a bit to go south. Going for the home inspection tomorrow to see if there's any deal breakers. As long as there's no termites or crazy electrical problems inside the house, I don't see a problem. I'd like for the seller to at least clean the pool up, but I'm not going to let that be the end of the sale. Just gotta find out how hard he wants to play ball. He came 30 off list, but IMO it needed to be a little more. A lot of cleaning could have been done for that asking price, and yet NONE was done. FIRST thing that's gotta happen is cutting the grass. It's VERY thick and tall already, and I don't want it to get away from me. Gonna have to get a finish mower behind the LX ASAP.
Congrats Paint. Look forward to reading some more of your endeavors at the new place. Enjoy it.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Gonna have to get a finish mower behind the LX ASAP.
So you're only about 30 miles from me now.

Just from my experience..... I started with a finish mower and ended up selling it. Here's why. My Bush Hog will cut as low as +/- two inches. You just have to set the angles right. I really could not see a noticeable difference between the BH and the FM--especially when you are cutting field grasses. The problem with the finish mower is when you get around the house you have to be very careful. I can't tell you how many times I nearly damaged the house with the bucket. So I sold the FM about two years ago.

What has worked best for me is a zero turn for around the house (about 1 acre) and a bush hog for the other 9 acres.

I am sure you know this but long grass means.... TICKS, mice, rats, snakes! When we bought our house the grass was about a foot high around the house and 3 feet everywhere else. Even on the tractor I had ticks on my legs. Check yourself after the inspection. Heck, take the tractor and a bush hog to the inspection and tell them you want to see how the property cleans up!

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So you're only about 30 miles from me now.

Just from my experience..... I started with a finish mower and ended up selling it. Here's why. My Bush Hog will cut as low as +/- two inches. You just have to set the angles right. I really could not see a noticeable difference between the BH and the FM--especially when you are cutting field grasses. The problem with the finish mower is when you get around the house you have to be very careful. I can't tell you how many times I nearly damaged the house with the bucket. So I sold the FM about two years ago.

What has worked best for me is a zero turn for around the house (about 1 acre) and a bush hog for the other 9 acres.

I am sure you know this but long grass means.... TICKS, mice, rats, snakes! When we bought our house the grass was about a foot high around the house and 3 feet everywhere else. Even on the tractor I had ticks on my legs. Check yourself after the inspection. Heck, take the tractor and a bush hog to the inspection and tell them you want to see how the property cleans up!
A zero turn is THE BEST by far for mowing near the house and tight spaces.
I had a JD lawn tractor for years, and finally wised up to get a SCAG ZT.
Best mowing machine I have ever had!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Personally, I like goats. They keep everything trimmed to just the right height, and no ticks, spiders, or snakes to deal with. When they are done, I send them to the neighbor's home and he pays me for their services.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users