What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Shoreliner

Equipment
BX1880V-1
Nov 4, 2022
Massachusetts
For decades, my family used to rake rocks out of our gardens every year but we haven't done that in 20 years. The rocks are now starting to overwhelm us (more rocks than dirt, I swear). This week I built a rock screen (see pic.) to sift out the stones using my almost-new BX1880 (has 18 hours); this job is why I bought a loader. It took me two days and cost about $60 in new PT lumber & galvanized hardware to make the screen (the plywood was leftover from another project). On Saturday evening, I tried it out with a half bucket load and it worked very well, but the sun was going down so I called it a day.

Rock Screen.jpg

It hadn't rained in a week, but on Sunday we got about an inch.

Today (Monday) was a nice day, bright and sunny, so after work I gave it another try and I had a far different result. While the dirt wasn't mud by any means, it certainly was a lot thicker & heavier. The 1/2" by 1" caging I used for my screen was at times overwhelmed with clumping, even with my sandy soil. I should've waited another day but I was so impatient...

To cap off my stupidity, I didn't put any weight on the rear hitch (and I have a weight box!). When I tried to dump the first full bucket of semi-moist dirt onto the screen by raising the loader, it gave me a heckuva fright when the rear wheels started lifting off the ground (and that's with the 50lb wheel weights). I quickly pushed the control stick forward and settled the tractor. Then I slowly dumped the load onto the ground and did the "drive of shame" back to the shed to attach the weight box like I should have done in the first place. It was pretty dumb of me, but be assured I won't be doing that again. After putting on the weight box, things went much better.

At least the rock screen works and leaves me with some very nice soil (see pic below from before it rained). Still, this job is going to take me a while. I just have so. many. rocks... Gah! The worst part is that just 4 miles north of me, there's a big commercial farm that has no rocks in their soil at all.

So Many Rocks.jpg

At the end of today, I did manage to dump a bucket load of stones in about an hour's work.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Not a bad idea once I get it all spread......

I will pass along your compliment on the color to my wife......she chose. I figure it was a good deal, I get the building I want and she gets to pick how it looks, therefore she will never complain about my poor choice. And she nailed it......
Happy wife, happy life (so they say) 😂

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Is it really a good idea to do a sidewall vulcanize repair?
Yes, on slow-moving equipment it is acceptible. I had a larger truck tire with a bad tear on the sidewall repaired for my yard truck that only saw snow duty on the private driveway. Never had a problem with that tire.

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
Spread another 3 loads of 2 1/2" crusher run which came to 53 tons for $572. I changed to the larger stuff because it's about $5 a ton for material cost. 1 1/2 is about $10 a ton and 3/4 is about $15 a ton so I never buy it. Up to 16 loads so far for my new house build.

I think these size rocks may be a little big for a land plane which I want, but I make it work with my box. View attachment 101037
My landPlane likes 3/4" best. Either 3/4 crushed rock mixed with natural dirt

Grading2014.JPG

Or what we call 3/4 Stay-Mat or CrusherRun

Grading.JPG

gg

Reactions: 6 users

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
If you did something to or on you're tractor today and you don't want to start a new thread then post it here :D

I installed a horn I took from a tiny Toyota and then installed a decompression cable on mine today. Was going to do a little grading on the drive but got tired :(
Gurn

gmbc

Equipment
B2650HSDC ,bucket, Forks, Front Snow blower, MMM, Tiller, Land Rake
Mar 11, 2016
Dundurn, Saskatchewan, Canada
Removed snowblower. Installed FEL. Moved a few skids around. Switch to bucket to move snow from late snowfall hopefully last time. Back to forks for more work. Have to sort out all implements to photograph for sale. Will miss my Kubota and her attachments. Moving to town so room and will not really need her on town lot

Reactions: 1 users

g_man

Equipment
L3010DT, M5640SUD, Dresser TD7G
Feb 3, 2023
NE Vermont
If you did something to or on you're tractor today and you don't want to start a new thread then post it here :D

Gurn

Is that a polite message to me for putting up a couple old pictures ? If so - no problem. I'm pretty new here and didn't realize that was a criteria for this thread. Thought it was just general back and forth stuff.

gg

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Removed snowblower. Installed FEL. Moved a few skids around. Switch to bucket to move snow from late snowfall hopefully last time. Back to forks for more work. Have to sort out all implements to photograph for sale. Will miss my Kubota and her attachments. Moving to town so room and will not really need her on town lot
Hope it’s a good move for you. At this point in my life, moving to town sounds like some kind of punishment, but it isn’t that for everyone.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Is that a polite message to me for putting up a couple old pictures ? If so - no problem. I'm pretty new here and didn't realize that was a criteria for this thread. Thought it was just general back and forth stuff.

gg
You're in the right thread.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
That pile of gravel is staring at me begging to be spread......but it will have to wait until after all these meetings today......booked back to back all damn day......

Gotta pay for the toys somehow.......

The side of the Morton I need to work on today has the potential to be a muddy mess but I can't live with a pile of rock in my driveway waiting for it to dry.

(Ideally the next pics I post will not be of the tractor stuck in the mud with a tow strap to an equally muddy Ram 2500)

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
OK, the good news is no pics of the tractor stuck in the mud, as much as that would make good forum content, it would be a hell of a mess.

Finished the pile of 3/4 gravel. My wife killed it, she said she wanted a workout since she wasn't going to the barn to ride the horse so......I dumped and she spread with the McCloud, who am I to deprive her from her joy right?....... spread a good layer all around and put the last couple buckets on the never quite finished "tractor road" to the back yard and woods.

Hit the scraps on the driveway with the box blade to spread things and went inside to make dinner.....

Not a bad little project.....got the 10yds delivered and spread and never burned a weekend day or PTO day..... that is a perfect little project in my book.

IMG_4615.jpeg
IMG_4616.jpeg
IMG_4617.jpeg
IMG_4618.jpeg
IMG_4619.jpeg
IMG_4620.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
I spread 62T of gravel today on my watering lane. I was in a hurry to beat the rain coming up from the S. I went from this …..
IMG_8594.jpeg

to this …. & the rain never showed up😩.
IMG_8595.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
62 Ton or ~44 yards is no joke, that's a solid day of tractor work.

Never seen the cut tire for underlayment trick.........makes sense when I think about it. How were they cut, sawzall?

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
I spread 62T of gravel today on my watering lane. I was in a hurry to beat the rain coming up from the S. I went from this …..
View attachment 101082
to this …. & the rain never showed up😩.
View attachment 101083
Is that a makeshift geo grid for ground stabilization? If not, what is the purpose? Reminds me of those stabilization grids they place under driveways that keep the stone from shifting/washing out.

Reactions: 2 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Is that a makeshift geo grid for ground stabilization? If not, what is the purpose? Reminds me of those stabilization grids they place under driveways that keep the stone from shifting/washing out.
Yes to help prevent erosion, he mentioned watering lane, meaning the water flows through there from a pasture or overflow from a tank.

Reactions: 3 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I started the second driveway in earnest this afternoon. I only put about 45 minutes of work in with the M6060 and EA Extreme box blade to see how it's going to go. I'll hook up the MX to the small dump trailer once the sprayer is off, and load that up to move dirt rather than making numerous trips to the dirt pile to dump the M6060 bucket out. That's just not efficient.

This driveway will be about 175 yards long when it's done and it'll be really helpful bringing trailers and the boat up the hill. Currently there's a really sharp bend where the lower gravel driveway turns into the asphalt driveway and it's a pita pulling a trailer, and a real pita in the winter since I have to take the truck out of 4wd to make the turn. This new driveway will fix all that.

View attachment 100406

View attachment 100407
The elk were checking out my work yesterday morning! I'm planning on hooking up the smaller dump trailer to the MX this afternoon and continuing to "excavate" in preparation for gravel. I'll be using the EA box blade behind the M and the loader in front to loosen and then load up the trailer.

elk_8.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
The rain is Thur. night and Friday!

I was watching the radar, (didn’t want to get caught in the field), rain was moving towards me & just fell apart. Oklahoma took all the moisture. You are right, we have more chances. 🤞

Did you cut those tires yourself?
I picked up the tires at Express Tire in Emporia. We had a local guy cutting tires for the State. 1 side of a semi tire is what is put around orange traffic cones to keep them upright in the wind. The other 1/2 works good for watering lanes. He retired & sold his machine.
I have not found a good way to cut them.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
You are right. Except the traffic will be cattle. Our local NRCS says the life of a stock pond where cattle can freely walk around is 17 yrs. Then, the pond is shallow because of the cow’s hooves beating down the banks & pushing mud to the center. There is a lot of weight on the small surface area of a cow’s hoof.
A pond where cattle have restricted access can last 35+ yrs. This watering lane is that spot where the cattle will be able to get a drink (& the only spot). The rest of the pond will be fenced. There will be temporary panels between the posts that can be moved as the water level goes up or down. This will limit the amount of steel exposed to water (rust).
There is more work to be done. Stay tuned😁.

Reactions: 4 users