What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I am inching along on my 'automate the ssqa' project. The initial led panel light that was going to be used was nixed because it wasn't tall enough to make it through the panel. 3 day delay and I get a 'conventional' socketed panel light in (led - blue, red, green). It gets tested out on my circuit. It works but the light is so pathetically weak. . . Back to plan A.

last night I drilled out the 3.5mm hole to 9.5 mm in the panel next to the emergency flasher switch. Now I can get the base of the led inserted part way in and the 3mm diameter led is flush with the panel. Silicone rubber will hold it in place underneath. A 10mm SS washer was drilled out to use as a trim piece.

This morning I confirmed the silicone had set up and tested the light. It blindingly flashes! Perfect!

All that is left is to run the wire from the panel along the fel arm to the actuator. For a dinky little project there have been way to many starts / stops.

Reactions: 2 users

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I moved the table saw from the pole barn to the basement. I mean, it's a cheap little harbor freight saw, not heavy... But, you know, I don't want to carry it that hundred yards or so.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I moved the table saw from the pole barn to the basement. I mean, it's a cheap little harbor freight saw, not heavy... But, you know, I don't want to carry it that hundred yards or so.
Might not be “heavy” but I picked up a 250lb anvil a couple weeks ago and set it in the back of my truck. Didn’t “have time” to mess with getting the loader. Two lessons learned:

1) Just because you could pick up a 250lb anvil and set it on a truck bed when you were 19 doesn’t mean you still can.

2) If the muscles you pulled in your low back are cramping bad enough, a trip to the feminine care section of the pharmacy to get some Midol (only over the counter muscle relaxant/cramp control I’m aware of) is dang near miraculous for controlling back spasms, not just menstrual cramps.

I slid it off the back of the truck into the loader bucket to get it off the truck and onto the other shop floor without busting the concrete or finishing off what was left of my back. Just a pulled muscle or three. All is well now.

• Haha

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Might not be “heavy” but I picked up a 250lb anvil a couple weeks ago and set it in the back of my truck. Didn’t “have time” to mess with getting the loader. Two lessons learned:
Well, besides being slightly awkward to carry, my table saw is all of 40lbs or so. Even my chicken legs should be able to handle that for a while.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Trustable

Equipment
l2501HST
Jul 5, 2022
Michigan
It’s an L4701. The pusher is the Land Pride SPL1072.

So far (first winter) the R1 tires are excellent in the snow. I see no need for chains, which I’m happy about. That includes, so far, nine inches of nice fluffy snow, and about the same of very heavy sticky wet snow. I’m sure it won’t be as good on ice.

Previously I had a B2301 with R4s and a Land Pride SPL1060, and that was completely useless without chains (had all four wheels chained).
Awesome, thanks for the info! We are supposed to get a good amount this thursday and friday, so I am eager to try it out. I suspect like you it wont be great on ice, but in snow I dont know if there is anything better due to the paddle like tires. With the snow pusher, are the welds pretty decent on it, quality good? I got a QA landpride bucket with my loader and was disappointing with a couple of the welds, im not a welder but it looked like there was air bubbles in the weld that would just collect water. My neighbor welded it up for me after I ground it down. Regardless I have an old backblade from a ford 9n my neighbor gave me thats been heavily modified over the years thats a little under 5ft that i think will be sufficient for mid Michigan winters.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Definitely Timber rattler. We called 'em Saddlebacks because their markings are shaped like a saddle. Eastern diamondbacks don't get but about half the size of a Timber/Saddleback. Been around 'em all my life. Buried more than one dog that got too close to one, and more than one rattler that erred and showed themselves in our yard. A pair of rubber boots probably saved my life once. Just noticing a different coloration in some leaves did twice, in one afternoon.

When I was a kid, I lived out in the sticks, and if I had on a shirt or shoes, I was probably on my way to church. But 10 times out of 9, I had a .22 rifle with me on any given day. We kept hunting dogs, and in the summers, we'd let 'em roam during the day, but we always put 'em up at night to keep them from getting into trouble. I'd go out in the woods plinking around with the .22, and the dogs would come to me, and I'd take 'em home to feed 'em and put 'em up for the night. I happened to notice a pile of leaves that looked odd, and then saw the rattles, 5.5 footer was sleeping with his head under his body, so I popped him, reloaded and then split his head with the next round. 16 rattles and a button. I grabbed that one by the tail, and walked about 20 yards and found his missus, but she wasn't sleeping. She was 6 feet, and was coiled about to strike if I took one more step. But I saw her first, and won. Split her head with the .22 as well. 2 new rattles, no sound. Figured I'd take both home to show my mom and step-dad. I walked another 20 yards, and common sense kicked in and made me realize that EITHER of those snakes could have killed me, and I got physically ill, because there I was, shorts, no shirt, no shoes, and 2 miles away from home. I finally got it back together, and started dragging the snakes home. I had to cross a small stream that ran cold all summer, and when the business ends of those snakes hit that cold water, both convulsed and hit me in the back of the legs. I was slapping my knees out of my face trying to get away from them, yet knowing full well BOTH were quite dead. I NEVER went in the woods with shorts nor bare footed again.

Timber rattler males take care of their rattles, and give a very distinct warning. Even if you've never heard it, there's no mistaking that sound of pure evil. The females, though, do NOT take care of their rattles, and break them off, so you may or you may not get a warning from a female rattler. Worse yet, the females blend in with fallen leaves better too, because they tend to be more brownish than grey, and typically are larger than the males and have more venom. They're bad business when disturbed. The largest timber rattler I've seen was more than 7 feet. Hard to measure them when dead because they stretch a bit. Seemed like our front yard was some sort of crossing for them. I don't know how many we killed in the yard.

I'll give king snakes and rat snakes a pass because they catch a lotta critters I don't want around, including venomous snakes in the case of the king snakes. I had a 5-foot king in my yard last year that was very docile and would let me pick it up. It got used to me being around, and me it, but the Missus don't like Nope Ropes at all, of any kind. But I brought the big king snake up on the deck and let her touch him a few times and all was good. Next day, we found him out in the yard swallowing a copperhead. She named him SSSSSSSStephen.

Long long ago I was a studly young Naval Aviation Cadet in Pensacola Fl.
At the conclusion of our 1st sixteen weeks of training, we were set loose in the wilds of Eglin AFB for a week of survival training.

Among other things, "survival" meaning no food, unless you can kill something (no gun).
We were in teams of 11.

Our team caught a 6+ foot rattler using a forked branch to hold the head down.
We had been taught to each carry a forked branch for that purpose.

We cut the head off and divided that snake up into 11 equal size pieces.
When you have not eaten for several days roasted rattler tastes delicious.

We found an old rusty can in the woods, threw our snake bones in the can, added water, and made soup.
Delicious again!

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
We call them (Timber Rattlers) a 'Canebrake Rattler' here.

Seldom get over 6' but all of them are THICK snakes.

You wouldn't want to get tagged by one.

View attachment 92429
We get a few of the canebreaks here too, but what we called timber rattlers have slightly larger dark markings, 5-6 scales wide instead of the 2-3 on that one. The grey is a bit darker too. Like I said, the pattern looks like a row of saddles on their back. They're gorgeous animals, but I don't want 'em around my home. If I see 'em first out in the woods, I'll gladly let them be on their way to go do snake things while I go do my human things. Typically they reciprocate unless they've just finished molting. After molting, their skin is ultra sensitive and they can't see very well if they haven't shed all the skin on their heads yet. Makes 'em a bit cranky. Not aggressive, just VERY defensive, and they'll strike at almost any movement.

That's an interesting pattern on that one, almost like the rings are wrapping to the right. That yellow line down the middle of its back is a bit darker on our Saddle Backs, more brown.

As @Matt Ellerbee said, that's a lotta Nope Rope. I'm assuming that one paid a pretty high price to get his picture put on OTT.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I pulled down a widow maker today. A pine had broken off about 20' up and the top snagged in some other trees. Not a fat three, maybe 18" at the base. It had to be roped and pulled, no way was I going to risk being under it and cutting the still standing section.
I've got an arborists sling shot and weighted sack setup, so my second attempt I lopped the twine over the near top section. Tied my rope to that and pulled it over the trunk. Walked back 50+ feet and tied off to my tractor. Backed up 30' and down it came. All safe. Cut down the remaining 20' trunk and diced up the logs for good ground contact and quick rotting.
I'd been looking at this job for over a year and just not caring, until I'd see it and think I need to deal with it. Now I can point to where it was and say "see, that is where the dead pine was....'

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
We get a few of the canebreaks here too, but what we called timber rattlers have slightly larger dark markings, 5-6 scales wide instead of the 2-3 on that one. The grey is a bit darker too. Like I said, the pattern looks like a row of saddles on their back. They're gorgeous animals, but I don't want 'em around my home. If I see 'em first out in the woods, I'll gladly let them be on their way to go do snake things while I go do my human things. Typically they reciprocate unless they've just finished molting. After molting, their skin is ultra sensitive and they can't see very well if they haven't shed all the skin on their heads yet. Makes 'em a bit cranky. Not aggressive, just VERY defensive, and they'll strike at almost any movement.

That's an interesting pattern on that one, almost like the rings are wrapping to the right. That yellow line down the middle of its back is a bit darker on our Saddle Backs, more brown.

As @Matt Ellerbee said, that's a lotta Nope Rope. I'm assuming that one paid a pretty high price to get his picture put on OTT.
Timber Rattlers vary widely in background color. Ours are uniformly tan background, black chevron markings and a rusty brown to orange stripe the length down the center. The one pictured unfortunately was a road kill and a friend of mine took the pic just to show the girth of it.

They were 'protected' at the time (in Texas) but that has been lifted in recent years.

They are beneficial snakes.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT

1) Just because you could pick up a 250lb anvil and set it on a truck bed when you were 19 doesn’t mean you still can.

2) If the muscles you pulled in your low back are cramping bad enough, a trip to the feminine care section of the pharmacy to get some Midol (only over the counter muscle relaxant/cramp control I’m aware of) is dang near miraculous for controlling back spasms, not just menstrual cramps.

I slid it off the back of the truck into the loader bucket to get it off the truck and onto the other shop floor without busting the concrete or finishing off what was left of my back. Just a pulled muscle or three. All is well now.
Just be careful, I would hate to hear in a later post that you missed your period and are pregnant! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Love

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
Awesome, thanks for the info! We are supposed to get a good amount this thursday and friday, so I am eager to try it out. I suspect like you it wont be great on ice, but in snow I dont know if there is anything better due to the paddle like tires. With the snow pusher, are the welds pretty decent on it, quality good? I got a QA landpride bucket with my loader and was disappointing with a couple of the welds, im not a welder but it looked like there was air bubbles in the weld that would just collect water. My neighbor welded it up for me after I ground it down. Regardless I have an old backblade from a ford 9n my neighbor gave me thats been heavily modified over the years thats a little under 5ft that i think will be sufficient for mid Michigan winters.
You know, I have no idea. I never really looked at the welds too closely. Or at all haha.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Moved snow twice today. Here's the second time out as it was getting dark. I took a short video of the MX warming up in the snow. Kind of a nice Christmas scene with the snow falling.

It's supposed to get very cold tomorrow with a low around -30F and a high around -4F. It's cold enough that the rear remotes don't work properly for the first few minutes, until the hydraulic oil has warmed up.

mx6000_12-20-22.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Mountainhill

Equipment
l2501 (l3800 2013/22), Box Blade, post hole digger, Leon's rear blade
Apr 3, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
R-1’s great in snow and slush. You wants Ice Chains when you get ‘glare ice’, with sloped/hilly roads.

I run chains all winter, they’ve saved me more than once, and also allow me to work road during ice conditions, spread material for traction.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Only moved the Kubota to get the generator out and run it, just in case….

Geddy was helping! He’s pushing 65 pounds now at 7 months.

Running at 122 volts and 61 Hertz.

Genny has had a lot of hours on it in 2022. Voltage was low earlier this year.

Need to get back to my “Generator Recommendations” thread….
DF00EE21-D1F0-4DF7-9C24-E299D7301F70.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The snow is really starting to pile up on the lower driveway where I push rather than blow it. I spent about 30 minutes pushing as much over the edge as possible to make room for the next round of snow. Having the hydraulic snow blade far out in front makes it easier to keep all four wheels on the ground and reduce the likelihood of going over the edge which would not be fun! The driveway is steep and the drop off on the left side heading downhill is no joke. When I'm plowing I have to be careful and not get too near the edge.

mx6000_12-21-22.jpg

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
The snow is really starting to pile up on the lower driveway where I push rather than blow it. I spent about 30 minutes pushing as much over the edge as possible to make room for the next round of snow. Having the hydraulic snow blade far out in front makes it easier to keep all four wheels on the ground and reduce the likelihood of going over the edge which would not be fun! The driveway is steep and the drop off on the left side heading downhill is no joke. When I'm plowing I have to be careful and not get too near the edge.

View attachment 92576
Yes.....continue to be careful there my friend. That would be a really bad deal if anything went awry.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yes.....continue to be careful there my friend. That would be a really bad deal if anything went awry.
Thanks. I really have to pay attention when I get near the edge. Would be nice if someone made an hydraulic snow blade with hydraulic offset, kind of like my flail mower. Then I could push lots of snow over without risking rolling the tractor. Rolling over the edge would most likely prove fatal, particularly on the upper half of the driveway where it's a long way down to the road.

• Wow

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Would be nice if someone made an hydraulic snow blade with hydraulic offset, kind of like my flail mower.
Yeah, if it could just hydraulically 'side shift' like some fork-lifts do.

But I'm sure someone would manage to maim or kill themselves misusing it and then the lawsuits would begin.