What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
US? North of the border we pay 2-3x more for everything tractor related lol
I've got the HF (TowMaster brand) too. Two problems that annoy me. The top hook is Cat 3, the bottom hooks are Cat 3, and it's a Cat 1 hitch. That's 'problem' number one, but I now have a really cool assortment of bushings thanks to this piece of equipment. Though the hook will go on the typical bushing installed on QH compatible equipment, it's tight in the saddle, and I usually wind up getting off the tractor (which this was supposed to stop me from having to do), and use a pinch bar or something to wiggle the top hook and make it turn loose, or let the attachment slide down and latch in the bottom hooks. One thing for certain, NONE of the hooks is gonna bend. It's very well built, very heavy duty for a Cat I QH, but the overkill in the hooks makes it pretty hard to line up and anything but convenient. I don't think I've managed to hook anything up more than once without having to get off the tractor.

I THINK I can probably take about 1/8" off each side of the hooks, and change the taper on the top one so it will engage the top pin on the implement a lot easier. The bottom ones need to be tapered or rounded some so they don't hang on the slightest of sharp corners. It's very finicky about engaging as it is, and I usually have to give whatever I just hooked up a little shake with the lift. Not real fond of doing that because of the pressure excursions, and twice I've dropped my box blade doing that. Last thing I wanna do is drop the chipper. There's actually a replacement hook available too. Apparently someone realized the top hooks on the TowMaster brand have to be put all the way down to the last two holes to work on most QH compatible equipment. Something tells me the QH 'standard' is about the same as the RS-232 serial communications protocol "standard". What's standard for one brand is slightly different for what's standard for another brand. I need to make friends with someone that's got a decent machine shop with a vertical mill and a lathe. For $89 bucks though, can't say I should have expected the Ferrari package for a Volkswagen (old school air-cooled REAL Volkswagen) price.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
lol that is crazy! ^^ it was so windy yesterday
reminds me of this
Been there, done that. Just wait until that's a swarm of honeybees, or a cicada. You'll figure out real fast why a full coverage helmet is a better idea in the south.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Now for my little escapades of late. Between the new shed and a bunch of repair projects around the house, I haven't been online much lately. Waiting on concrete now, so got a little more seat time in lately, and getting closer to recovering another acre or so of the property. Put the stump bucket on, and dug up a couple more 6" sweetgum stumps, several 4" elm stumps (which are larger than the 6" sweetgums) a couple older water oak stumps. Flattened suitably with the box blade after getting each one out.

Then, ....
IMG_2655[1].JPG

Popped the FEL and box blade off and gave the LX it's first bubble bath. I was gonna scrub the tires and put some dressing on them and the plastic, but figured that could wait till next time. Hopefully, I can get it inside after cleaning it again. This picture just reminded me that I haven't put the storage legs on the FEL back up, but they're pretty darn noticeable. The main reason I took the FEL off was to clean off some of the excess grease from my liberal greasing habits. Since November, I've got about 80 hours on it, and have gone through one 14 oz tube of red n tacky. In fact, I'd greased it again before I went on my campaign (stumping). That FEL is a PAIN to clean up. I think I have more grease on me than it has on it now. I've just made it a habit to pop every pin on the FEL with two shots after every 10 hours or so of operation. It's a lot cheaper to clean up messy grease than it is to repair that boom, I'm sure. Anyone got any good recommendations for a good degreaser for removing red n tacky from the paint? Pressure washing turned into a very bad idea. Blew most of the "LA535" you see in this photo off last time I did that, and tore up the "K" and "a" in Kubota. Fortunately, the adhesive was still there and I managed to stick it all back on.

Out of curiosity, how often should I be pulling the pins and checking them for wear? I REALLY wish I had pins with the same grease fittings (in the center of the end of the pin) at the top of the FEL as it has at the bottom. It's a lot easier to grease the bucket end than the top end. The zerks are a PITA to get to on the boom pivot and each end of the boom cylinders.

IMG_2640[1].JPG
One of my little projects involved a 15" x 20' culvert because of how muddy I was getting the tractor every time I used it. No more slogging through the mud to get to the back of the property. Well, the first ditch full of mud, anyway. We've already had a pretty good frog strangler, and the culvert worked wonderfully. 2nd ditch hasn't been crossed yet. With the progress I'm making, gonna be needing a finish mower sooner than later. Still a lot of sloped ground back there that the little Husky simply won't climb with it's little turfies. Nearly as much HP as the Kubota, but probably less than 20% of the weight and certainly not geared nearly as low. This little road runs just to the left of the new slab-to-be in the first pic. I added some 'rip-rap' to both ends of the culvert from the rock pile I've collected from the yard as well, just for a little added erosion insurance.

Note the size of the poison ivy vines on the tree closest to the end of the culvert. I cut about a foot out of them close to ground level a couple years ago. They just haven't turned loose and fallen yet. Those were average size of the little vines when I moved in back in 2004. I've been killing poison ivy since I got here. Fortunately, I'm not allergic unless I get it in a scratch or get in the smoke when I burn it. The missus is though, so she can't help me much back there this time of year, and I won't even let her handle my laundry when I've been back there until after it finishes blooming. You can see the 'Leaflets three" on the other tree where that stuff just refuses to die and keeps coming back, It isn't nearly as bad as it once was though. There were vines the size of my leg that went to the tops of 75' tall pines in the back. Beyond the second ditch, it's just a sea of PI on the ground, and briars, and privet, and many things I will enjoy destroying faster than it can come back now.

Reactions: 2 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Magic - - you’re a good grandpa!
Thank you Sir for the kind words. Luke worked with me sawmilling during the entire 2020 Summer and did an awesome job. Not only a conscientious and hard worker, but we also had some fun times together that will always be special to both of us. I hope that he can work with me this coming Summer.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
spread 10 of these 20 yard piles, yesterday... was a beautiful day to be outside.

Reactions: 3 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Today I’m ripping out old raised garden beds that are somewhat full of old lumber. (I don’t remember the name of the type of bed where you dig, fill it with wood then plant on top).... working next to my friend with his 74 IH 454. He has the weight and capacity advantage. However dual sticks and a gear drive. I’m 3x faster at moving crap. Another advantage is being able to see my bucket.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
Emptied out the 30x22 metal shed that the 2610 lives in, scraped out the 3/4" gravel (spread it on the driveway) and got everything ready for the concrete guys to come put a floor in. Sure, I could do it myself, but so much quicker to watch professionals do their thing.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
spread 10 of these 20 yard piles, yesterday... was a beautiful day to be outside.

I do like the looks of the work with that rock rake. What brand/make, and how much did it cost? (If I'm allowed to be that nosy).

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Look what came in the mail this week
Great blade, but make sure you get it flat on any surface you park on, or if in dirt, stick it in the dirt slightly. Those teeth are SHARP, and they get sharper with use. Very happy with the difference it made in my bucket.

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Emptied out the 30x22 metal shed that the 2610 lives in, scraped out the 3/4" gravel (spread it on the driveway) and got everything ready for the concrete guys to come put a floor in. Sure, I could do it myself, but so much quicker to watch professionals do their thing.
Not only quicker, funner. I'd almost take a beating (which would probably be easier) than to finish concrete. I put myself through college building swimming pools, and I didn't like finishing concrete then. Hard on the knees and back.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
No Cabin work but I have two washed out bridges that need extensive work. That plus replacing the two gearboxes on my 3008 Bush Hog. Plus, plus, plus............
Don't worry, you'll never run out of things to do. I'm counting on it. If ABB can't come to the table and undo what a prick of a manager did to our office, I have no interest in working for them. My retirement plans are in good enough shape to live on until 70 which will increase my SS benefits by nearly 30% by waiting that long. I like free money, albeit, it ain't really free. I've already worked for it. That's assuming of course SS isn't robbed again to pay for some kinda stupid pork barrel bill. I'll leave the other possible source of the collapse of SSA alone before I get on my soap box and get put in the penalty box.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Well, I was gonna mow today. That didn't happen though. Was checking the tires on the zero turn and found that one of the front tires was flat as a pancake 🤬🤬🤬 No worries. Went to air it up and the air was coming out just as fast as it was going on. 🤔🤔🤔

On closer inspection, I found a nice slit in the sidewall.

So, instead of mowing, I ordered a set of replacement front tires for the mower. In run flats instead 👍👍👍👍

I'll have to hay the yard next weekend weather permitting 🙄🙄🙄

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I should have taken some before pictures. That was a whole bunch of mounds. I called it his graveyard. We used the buckets to skim the tops off. Then I went up and down It with the scarificers to rip it up and dig up some of the hidden wood. Then ran over it a couple of times with the tiller. That’s all going to be seeded and turned back into lawn.

F50118FB-FC9B-4190-98A2-BC0B47DACDEA.jpeg

82C0723F-4E6A-4385-9531-35F70112A298.jpeg

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Hugelkultur.
Planting mounds covering rotting logs and branches. Can work very well conserving moisture and self-fertilizing.
Yes those. They are a pain in the butt to get turned back into lawn.

• Haha

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Katy and I went out to fertilize the blackberries and poison fire ants. Might be too late on the blackberries, but I'm tired of picking tiny berries.

IMG_20210501_170013677.jpg

Reactions: 1 users