What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Yeah, and what did you do with your old, worn out, antiquated, used up original ones?:D
That's funny- I have a pile of them. My R&D pile...

http://s65.beta.photobucket.com/user/br549_red/media/Christmas12009_zps14b781b0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

If you notice, the ends of the stabilizers are 3/8x1 1/14 cold rolled shaped into U's. This should be stronger, and it looks nicer and more professional. I haven't had any issues yet with a set breaking (except for the extra large set that I made for a JD5300- I have had to do some redesign on those), but there is no reason to not constantly improve.

Last edited:

James Williams

Equipment
B7100, brush hog
Oct 15, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I used the FEL on my 1979 B7100 to move a fairly large limb that had broken off of an oak tree and then pushed it onto my burn pile. Then I put the chain in the bucket and went to do something else and promptly lost it. Had to look awhile, but finally found it in a pile of leaves.

James

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT, James, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who does stuff like that.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep glad you found it in the leaves and not in the grass while mowing..and NO I DONT KNOW NOBODY THAT DID THAT:eek:

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Well I guess I should title this post: what not to do on your kubota today;)
I had been clearing some ground when the old girl slipped off the edge.
First two pics show just how far a B7100 will go over and not tip, in the second two I had to take off the front weights and mount them on the uphill lift arm to transfer some weight to get the wheel on the deck .
The uphill wheels still did not have enough weight on them to drive so had to engage dif lock to reverse out.
dave

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I bet that had a pretty high pucker factor. Did you pinch a mohawk in the seat cover? LOL

Glad you didn't get hurt.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
You are a braver (or crazier) man than I am. Nothing scares the bejesus out of a guy more than to have a tractor up on TWO wheels.:eek:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I ran mine out of oil today. It was real cold this morning (20 F), and about 30 seconds after starting it, massive amounts of oil started pouring out of the left side. I shut it down, and determined it to be in the filter area. I pulled the filter off, and low and behold- I had missed the gasket from the old filter when I last serviced it! I have put a couple of hours on it since the last service, but it held until today. Go figure. I need to be more careful, and look more closely. It didn't hurt anything, other than about $20 worth of synthetic (yes, Bulldog, synthetic) T6 Rotella in the snow.
The gasket on the filter was fine, so I pulled the old gasket off of the block, put the filter back on, and filled it back up with what I had on the shelf-15W-40 Rotella conventional. That is what I usually use, but I had switched to the T6 for added comfort 2 changes ago. What surprised me was that the pour rate of the new oil, which had been sitting in a cold barn all winter, flowed as fast as the synthetic coming out of the engine. The new oil poured very easily. So, while I believe synthetic to be superior, I have no concerns about the dino oil in the pan now.
I did have to do a lot of spit shining to get Nemo cleaned up after that.
All of that to just drive the tractor to the barn and put on a new set of stabilizers.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hodge, I hate you lost your oil (especially synthetic) but at least it was a very noticable blow out instead of a slow leak that went unnoticed and engine was damaged.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Hodge, I hate you lost your oil (especially synthetic) but at least it was a very noticable blow out instead of a slow leak that went unnoticed and engine was damaged.
Stevie Wonder wouldn't have missed it, it pumped out so fast! All of it, in less than 10 seconds. The dipstick came out dry. But, due to a cold engine, a film or oil, and good old Kubota quality, it is fine. I just felt stupid- missing the old gasket is a rookie mistake, and I'm not a rookie.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Don't beat yourself up to bad buddy. It can and has happen to the best of us. It's amazing how something so basic is so easy to overlook. It could have been a disaster but instead it was another lesson learned.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Hodge I cant count the number of times in my years of driving a tow truck for a living I've had to haul cars back to either Wal-mart or Jiffy Lube where some tech forgot to put the DRAIN PLUG back in tight enough or at all. I hauled the cars back because Wal-mart or Jiffy Lube had to replace an entire engine because it locked up from their stupidity. Also picked up off the side of the highway a few vehicles that had just left the tire shop where the lug nuts were not on tight enough.

Last edited:

James Williams

Equipment
B7100, brush hog
Oct 15, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I just wish that losing the chain out of the bucket was the dumbest thing I have done. I have driven off several times and found later the brakes were locked on. But, probably the worst is reaching up and grabbing the exhaust pipe as a handhold. With the tractor running (twice).

James

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The last few posts make me think a new thread might be in order. What did you do on your Kubota that was dumb today. I hung my brand new feed bucket on the hay spear and went to look at a bad place in the fense. Ended up coming back around from the rear of the tractor and went to the next group of cows. Backed in and picked up a bale with the 3pt and then turned around and speared one on the front. What was that funny sound I thought to myself. When I dropped the bale in the hay ring I knew what that strange sound was...Time for another new feed bucket...:eek:

manofaus

Equipment
bx2350
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
i used the tiller to prep for my new lawn and now am trying to learn to level the site using the bucket and laser level. Might make a smudge bar to drag behind the tractor

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The last few posts make me think a new thread might be in order. What did you do on your Kubota that was dumb today. I hung my brand new feed bucket on the hay spear and went to look at a bad place in the fense. Ended up coming back around from the rear of the tractor and went to the next group of cows. Backed in and picked up a bale with the 3pt and then turned around and speared one on the front. What was that funny sound I thought to myself. When I dropped the bale in the hay ring I knew what that strange sound was...Time for another new feed bucket...:eek:
Ok-whoever is the next person to do something stupid or dangerous on their tractor, and lives to type about it, start a post. We could call it the Stupid Hurts Club.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That works for me Hodge. I felt pretty stupid yesterday when about a 5 lb chunk of muddy cow crap smacked me in the back of the head when it slung up off the rear tire.