What "B" to get

DennisDarrow

Equipment
B7610, RTV 900
Mar 17, 2014
Sugar Valley, Georgia
Currently I have a B7610 with a loader. Several implements and am totally happy with the unit. EXCEPT, it will barely pick up a round bale on the rear spear. A spear add on to the bucket is pretty much a no go unless it is a smallish type of bale that is totally dry.

So, I love the size of the B for my place. Many trees, hills, slopes, and pastures that are easily torn up with tires that dig. I go in the woods for firewood hauling it in a back box and often pulling a trailer. I pull my 16' flat trailer loaded with stuff without problems. Often though, going down a hill with the trailer loaded and forgetting to put it in 4wd can be a pucker ride........

What I really am trying to do is find out if the B's are strong enough to lift a bale and stack them 2 high. I really need to be able to do that; but want size of the B. I really love the quick attach bucket implements and the ability to add 3ph adjustment features that I don't have now. But.........If I cant lift bales it's a waste of money as I am happy with what I have BUT I REALLY NEED TO WORK THOSE BALES........

So....WHAT TO DO????????.........Thanks......Dennis

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What you are basically saying:

you need to raise something about 1200 lbs (4x5 bale?) up about 4+ feet? or these bales a little smaller?

here is the real problem.....

if you are lifting a bucket full of dirt to a height .....then the dirt is IN the bucket and the height can be reached ( you hope)

the bale is on the outside of the bucket!!! thus the center is another 2' OUT from the bucket and the amount of lifting force had gone south QUICK!

I think you are asking a lot of the B - a Kubota B3350 can only lift about 1150 up and 2' out from there around 800 lbs!!!

I am not sure you'll get your B to do that!

Maybe your bales are a lot lighter?????

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Sounds like you need a bigger L model.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Jaws: "You're gonna need a bigger boat" (tractor).

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
B won't do it. at least go to an L series. the weight of the tractor is much more the issue as I've seen with my grand L. my grand will lift tight and wet 5x6 bales......but even with tire ballast a box blade and 3 large chains on the BB it is really ass light. please note I'm not a light operator at 300 lbs either. go to an L. fill the rears, always have weight on the back end.

DennisDarrow

Equipment
B7610, RTV 900
Mar 17, 2014
Sugar Valley, Georgia
I appreciate the thoughts GUYS...........the bales I am talking about around here are 4' X 5' and weigh in the 700 or so pound range. Again, I CAN lift a dry bale with one of the add on spear things that you clamp to the bucket; but I truly HATE how it warps the bucket a bit and I can only get them up maybe a couple of feet..............Sure would be nice to have a quick attach bucket to get it closer to the arms, and was thinking that the higher horsepower of the new machines could make the difference.........

The B series size is the issue here over the L. I go through a lot of woods, on hills, slopes, and do a lot of "tight" work getting in and out of sheds, barns, paddocks that an L would be to large........So, if I have to I can go with what I have; but the ability to STACK bales is something I really need to do.....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What I really am trying to do is find out if the B's are strong enough to lift a bale and stack them 2 high.
That isn't going to happen... not even with the Biggest B made.
And FYI the Biggest B (B3350) has some serious issues with the engine emissions controls, so don't buy it!

So....WHAT TO DO????????.........Thanks......Dennis
Either buy a bigger tractor or buy smaller bales. ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Dennis you've run right up against the reason why one of my neighbor has 6 tractors, one just won't do everything well. Keep the B you have if it does many things well, and go looking for a used big farm tractor that will lift round bales safely. Life is too short to try to get by with a little tractor and then get hurt doing it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Life is too short to try to get by with a little tractor

I like that !!

DennisDarrow

Equipment
B7610, RTV 900
Mar 17, 2014
Sugar Valley, Georgia
Sheep farmer and Wolfman.......We do breeding stock goats by the way Mr. Sheep...............

Anyway, REALLY GOOD THOUGHT that I truly had not thought about. Can get a used anything to put the few hours a month moving hay and I bet more jobs for it come along all the time. So, that is a for real way to go. Shucks, now you are going to make me clean up the B7610 and service it so it is "just like new"................Thanks guys......God bless......Dennis

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Glad to help, I added a second tractor for other reasons, and find things it can do that my first can't all the time. Won't have to use my truck to pull the spreader for one thing. It is Ms Sheep btw :) I've got Romneys.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Shouldn't be too difficult finding an older tractor that will easily handle your haying needs.

This is an example. It's a 62HP direct injection, air cooled engine that starts easily after setting for a couple of months. It moves 1000# bales easily. When I bought it, it had a Westendorf loader on it.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Shouldn't be too difficult finding an older tractor that will easily handle your haying needs.

This is an example. It's a 62HP direct injection, air cooled engine that starts easily after setting for a couple of months. It moves 1000# bales easily. When I bought it, it had a Westendorf loader on it.
But it's.....Green.... Granted it not that other Green! :p:p:p:p

Oh wait... they make that model in Orange too... Ok it's all good! :D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That picture was taken of my friend's son. He was 13 at the time and could operate any piece of equipment you put him on. His dad owned his own construction company and he would rent a machine (trackhoe, skid steer, something) for his birthday each year and let him "play" with it for a week!

So I let him bring the bales in to where I was going to store them, and I would take another tractor to put them in place.

When we got them all in, he asked if we could take them out, put them back in the field and move them again!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"When we got them all in, he asked if we could take them out, put them back in the field and move them again!!"

now that's the difference between work and play!!!!

Not sure if playing while you work, or work while you are playing!!!!

Hard to find a youngin like that !!:D:)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Hard to find a youngin like that !!:D:)
For sure, and we've got a 17 year old son.

He can check his cell phone 3 times per minute, but to get him check the oil on his car once a week....

Not sure about the coming generations.....:(