What Attachment?

MRudy86

Equipment
L4701
Jan 24, 2023
Hello All,

I have an old hay field at my house that is about 3 acres. The previous owner had no idea what they were doing (not that I'm an expert) and ran an old disc harrow over it in one direction and abandoned the field. I walked into something that is so rutted up and overgrown with weeds that it is borderline impassable with a side-by-side. I want to pick up an implement that will help me get it back into working conditions. Looking for some advice on what to use and what steps to take.

Thought about a tiller, but I have no idea where the rocks are so I'm bound to hit something. Not sure if that will be an issue, haven't used one before. Maybe a land plane with ripper shanks or a set of discs.

I have a L4701 but no attachments at the moment so looking for some first-step suggestions.

Thank you!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Depending on the size of the field, it might require a bulldozer to get it opened up and workable. A good bulldozer operator will leave the field, and know how to take the vegetation off. If there are any tree stumps, the bulldozer will pop them out of the ground without much effort, unless they were huge trees. From what you described, I don't think that you will be able to do much with it efficiently with your tractor.

MRudy86

Equipment
L4701
Jan 24, 2023
Depending on the size of the field, it might require a bulldozer to get it opened up and workable. A good bulldozer operator will leave the field, and know how to take the vegetation off. If there are any tree stumps, the bulldozer will pop them out of the ground without much effort, unless they were huge trees. From what you described, I don't think that you will be able to do much with it efficiently with your tractor.
It was a functioning hay field up till 2018 so there is nothing bigger than finger thick. Just lines of ruts. I attached a bad-quality aerial photo, maybe this will help the mental picture.

Attachments

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Look up Fred Cain plow. I have one of those and it will do what you want after multiple passes,

MRudy86

Equipment
L4701
Jan 24, 2023
Look up Fred Cain plow. I have one of those and it will do what you want after multiple passes,
Thank you, looks like it would help break it all up. Probably still need something to finish it off after.

Think a Land Plane with shanks would get both done?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A disc harrow would do the trick if used properly. A disc harrow with rolling baskets would be even better. I've thought about adding rolling baskets to my 8ft double gang hydraulic harrow but it's low on my list of projects.

I have an 8ft land leveler/land plane that is great on my gravel driveway but not sure how it'd work on dirt in a field.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thank you, looks like it would help break it all up. Probably still need something to finish it off after.

Think a Land Plane with shanks would get both done?
The land plane isn’t going to do for you what the Fred Cain will do. The plow will rip out the roots of small trees and actually help level the ground after repeated passes.

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
A disc harrow would do the trick if used properly. A disc harrow with rolling baskets would be even better. I've thought about adding rolling baskets to my 8ft double gang hydraulic harrow but it's low on my list of projects.

I have an 8ft land leveler/land plane that is great on my gravel driveway but not sure how it'd work on dirt in a field.
Yes and no. A good heavy disc on a larger machine, yes. Lightweight discs suitable for an L series will be disappointing.

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yes and no. A good heavy disc on a larger machine, yes. Lightweight discs suitable for an L series will be disappointing.
Good to know. I've run my disc around and it's very effective but you make a good point about the lighter variants.

m6060_disc_1.jpg

m6060_disc_2.jpg

• Love

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Good to know. I've run my disc around and it's very effective but you make a good point about the lighter variants.

View attachment 121777

View attachment 121778
Your disc looks substantial enough to be useful. Those lightweight models for smaller/lighter tractors really just jump and skip across the ground. An appropriate sized Fred Cain plow will work on smaller tractors pretty well.

Reactions: 1 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
A 3pt cultvator sized for your tractor can be found reasonably priced on the used market, most likely.
You can then hook a couple of used drag sections behind as you go after you've loosened everything up and maybe cleaned up some of the small saplings ripped out.

Here's my cheap outfit put together from used eqipment that I use for seed bed prep on 3 acres. The rolling baskets added certainly do a nice job of breaking up clumps and final leveling. I added a couple of wings on the 5 ft cultivator so it would match the width of the two rolling baskets.
DSC00058.JPG DSC00057.JPG DSC00059.JPG

Total width is about 7 ft =/-. Pulled easily behind the B2650 (25 HP) Makes for a quick job on 3 acres!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
As others have noted, a cultivator would work the ground nicely.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Your disc looks substantial enough to be useful. Those lightweight models for smaller/lighter tractors really just jump and skip across the ground. An appropriate sized Fred Cain plow will work on smaller tractors pretty well.

Maybe I missed it, but what do you follow your Fred Cain plow with? (Tiller or disc or etc?).

Seems like the Fred Cain plow would definitely aerate down deep if soil has been compacted.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hire a neighbor with a proper tractor and implement to go over it and get it so it's usable. Three acres would be a small task, then plant whatever you desire.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
A 3pt cultvator sized for your tractor can be found reasonably priced on the used market, most likely.
You can then hook a couple of used drag sections behind as you go after you've loosened everything up and maybe cleaned up some of the small saplings ripped out.

Here's my cheap outfit put together from used eqipment that I use for seed bed prep on 3 acres. The rolling baskets added certainly do a nice job of breaking up clumps and final leveling. I added a couple of wings on the 5 ft cultivator so it would match the width of the two rolling baskets.
View attachment 121780 View attachment 121781 View attachment 121782

Total width is about 7 ft =/-. Pulled easily behind the B2650 (25 HP) Makes for a quick job on 3 acres!
That would be good to use after the Fred Cain plow does the heavy initial work.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Maybe I missed it, but what do you follow your Fred Cain plow with? (Tiller or disc or etc?).

Seems like the Fred Cain plow would definitely aerate down deep if soil has been compacted.
I follow it with a tiller for a garden. For the OP’s use I would use the plow several times and maybe in different directions to get the roots removed and the rough ground leveled. That implement will break and rake up roots, and aerate to 16” deep. After plowing, a tiller, cultivator, or even a disc could do the final smoothing. The link I listed shows it is marketed through Everything Attachments, but they don’t make the plow, they just distributed it. It is made by another company in Franklin, TN, so I assume that there are other distributors. Sweet Tractor also sells them.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I follow it with a tiller for a garden. For the OP’s use I would use the plow several times and maybe in different directions to get the roots removed and the rough ground leveled. That implement will break and rake up roots, and aerate to 16” deep. After plowing, a tiller, cultivator, or even a disc could do the final smoothing. The link I listed shows it is marketed through Everything Attachments, but they don’t make the plow, they just distributed it. It is made by another company in Franklin, TN, so I assume that there are other distributors. Sweet Tractor also sells them.

Thanks.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I was going to suggest several light cross passes with a disc harrow. I'm assuming moderate vegetation that I think will clog a cultivator. But it depends a lot on your soil type and how deep the ruts are. And it needs to be done at the optimum moisture, too wet or too dry in heavy clay will leave big clods. You could drag it last to smooth it, but spring rains do a pretty good job.

What implements do you own or have access to?

MRudy86

Equipment
L4701
Jan 24, 2023
I was going to suggest several light cross passes with a disc harrow. I'm assuming moderate vegetation that I think will clog a cultivator. But it depends a lot on your soil type and how deep the ruts are. And it needs to be done at the optimum moisture, too wet or too dry in heavy clay will leave big clods. You could drag it last to smooth it, but spring rains do a pretty good job.

What implements do you own or have access to?
Only attachment I have is the backhoe on the tractor…bought it used and it came with it. This would be my first attachment A family member has a box blade with scarifiers, I tried that last spring. kept breaking teeth and the box blade was getting clogged up. There isn’t much tree roots, just thick grasses and rocks.

MRudy86

Equipment
L4701
Jan 24, 2023

I have a 8’x8’ chain harrow that I drag with the side by side. I could try to smooth with that I guess.