What are High Hours for a Kubota tractor?

Amishkingpin

Equipment
B7100 HST with FEL,Tiller,Rotary Mower and Box grader
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
I pose this question after a visit to my local Kubota dealer. I have 2,100 hours on my B7100 4X4 HST ( newer Model). My dealer tells me that this is a high number of hours on my tractor. Not so much for the engine but the rest of the tractor is gettin worn out. I recently, rebuilt my front drive shaft which broke into many pieces and grant you I bought this tractor used with 1,900 hours from a landscaper who used it to put in yards. I knew going in that it had been run like a rental. But, the price was low ( $3,500 ) and I was getting a FEL, box grader and 4' tiller in the deal. I replaced the front tires and changed all the fluids and filters.

After, the drive shaft experience, I am on the fence and thinking now might be the time to sell this tractor and get a newer tractor like a B7510?

My question is: What are high hours on a B7100? Does it make sense to sell and buy a newer tractor or keep and spend money on repairs?

Attachments

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
I don't know anything about that model, but I would venture to guess you got a really sweet deal there.

My L1500DT has untold number of hours on it, and it just keeps going, this is what I like so much about these lil Orange machines, they just don't quit.

As for what route you should take, that is something you need to determine, if you are good with turning a wrench and making repairs and tending to the needs of that machine, then you may be better off keeping it.

If you either don't have the skill set, or the desire/mindset to mess with it and you can afford to buy something newer then go for it.

Me presonally, If I had the funds I would buy a bigger bota with a FEL, but there is no way I would part with the 1500, I would just add another machine to the fleet.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Best Regards

Paul

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
If it is serving your purpose, why rush to change. Saying that kind of blanket statement that something is worn out due to an arbitrary number of hours is ridiculous, in my opinion. For instance my tractor, a '77 B7100 has many more than twice that many hours and has only had one clutch/pressure plate replaced. Every machine is different and Kubota's are WAY better built than a NEW equipment dealer will give credit for unless selling you a used one. Just don't be in a hurry to part with your money based on someones statement that hasn't got your financial health in regards at heart.

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Well stated Kytim, if he trades that machine in for a newer one I can just imagine the conversation when someone walks in looking for a deal on a used tractor....

Salesman "Oh yea now take this lil rig right here, she might not be much to look at but look at those low hours, shoot this thing isn't even broke in yet."

Best Regards

Paul

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
Just over 2100 on my B6100, and the hour meter stopped working at some where north of 2400 years ago on the b7200. The 6100 is in great shape, the 7200 is needless to say hammered, but runs very strong use's little fuel, and just moved 70 yards of fill with out question. A piece of equipment generally doesn't wear out, it may need some parts replaced, and need a little attention from time to time, but they dont "wear out".

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
I worked for a Kubota dealer about 15 years ago and the BNSF railroad had a fleet of B1700 4x4 manual tranny tractors and we would get them into the shop with 18-20 thousand hours :eek: and they would be coming in for clutches or worn out front axle pivots. Never anything major. They all ran excellent too.

I look at how a piece of equipment has been used and maintained versus hours overall. Realisticly I would not consider a tractor high hours until it gets well over 5 thousand hours in a utility application like these.;)
But like I said use and maintenance will extend or shorten the usefull life.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I wish I knew how many hours my B6100 has on it. At the time of purchase new an hour meter was an option and I got mine used 10 years ago. Still runs strong like a champ.

After a while some hour meters stop working all together and can give you false readings on hours of operation.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Here in TN our sales tax is 10%. On a $10K used tractor at the dealer you'll pay $1K tax.

I ain't supporting the dealer or the state with my hard earned money.

I buy used.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My old 7100 was bought used, abused and a broke hr meter with 1300 hrs on it. Have no clue how long it was broke. Replaced the meter and put on another 4200 hrs. It was still running good when I sold it. How a machine is treated and maintained determine how long it will last in most cases.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Nope , that is not high for this type of machine, they are over engineered to be honest.
poor maintance can be an issue later on during the tractors life , but 2100 hrs, its nothing on a b7100
I purchased a b7100 a while with 4990 hrs on it, it has been great, very few issues , i upgraded the engine to an 850, but through choice not becuase i really needed it.

to date no issues that would not be expected.

rgds
rob

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
X whatever- I agree that you don't have high hours. A tractor like yours will bring more if you sell it outright, versus trading it in. So, you just need to decide if you want to keep messing with it, if you can afford a newer tractor (I wouldn't be afraid of one- Kubota has kept on building great tractors), and if you actually need more tractor. The third question may make your mind up. Fixing what you have versus buying newer may be a toss up- having enough tractor for your needs seems to be the biggest question.

gkirby

Jul 8, 2012
Dexter, MO
I bought a used L2900 tractor with 1700 hrs this summer. The seller said that he was the only owner and the tractor was in good mechanical condition. It started and ran like new. I immediately changed all the filters and fluids. Because of the rusted outside of the filters and the very dirty fluids, I really question if or when he rarely changed these items.
So far I have replaced the seat, replaced all the pins in the fel, replaced all the grease fittings and greased everything, rewired most of the wiring on the tractor, and had the bearings and seals in the right front wheel assemble replaced.
I have now put 100 hrs on the tractor since I purchased it and I couldn't ask for a better tractor. Although I think this tractor was abused, the motor still was full of oil after the 100 hrs, and It still purrs like a kitten.
Before buying this tractor I shopped for other Kubotas. I saw several with 3000-5000 hrs and they all started and ran good. I believe that if you take care of the maintenance on your tractor it should last you for many more hours.

Last edited:

Amishkingpin

Equipment
B7100 HST with FEL,Tiller,Rotary Mower and Box grader
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
Everyone,
Thanks for the feed back. They are are very good points and now, with the advice and support from fellow OTT'ers, I am leaning to keeping my tractor and fixing some other issues like a leaky FEL hose and the steam from radiator that just showed up yesterday.

Now, that I think about the common thread from the Kubota dealer everytime I came, was that I should just buy new. When I brought in my broken drive shaft, they told me that it would cost more in parts and labor than buying a new one. And, it would never be as good as a new one and have issues. Well, after getting the skinny from a OTT post, I was given better advice, bought the parts from Messicks ($250) and Drive Line 1 charged $25 labor to rebuild the drive shaft versus $610 the dealer wanted. Oh, the dealer offered me $1,200 for my B7100. Time to change dealerships?

So, starting this weekend, I am ordering a new radiator cap, fan belt, all filters and fluids. I called NAPA and they can make me a new FEL hose. I think for a couple hundred dollars I can breathe new life in the tractor.

I have a small farm and this tractor is just the right size for mowing between the walnut trees, cleaning the horse manure out of the barn and dragging logs from the woods. I thought when I bought it, that it may be too small. It has lived up to the test and my wife is a believer watching what it has done for her gardens ( not 1 but 2) and all the landscaping projects from hauling dirt to moving bushes, evergreens and trees.

My dealer told me to never use paint on the tractor, that it would hurt the resell value. He said people will shy away from a tractor with new paint or one that looks to be touched up. What do you guys think? Should I repaint the grey areas that have had all the paint scrapped off from bush hogging and driving through the woods? Was thinking of a rattle can paint job this winter?

AK

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If you plan on keeping it then paint it! There's no shame in a fresh coat of paint, to me it shows that you care and took the time to treat the equipment right and are not abusing it. Painting a tractor is no different the restoring a classis car...

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
My dealer told me to never use paint on the tractor, that it would hurt the resell value. He said people will shy away from a tractor with new paint or one that looks to be touched up. What do you guys think?

What do I think? Your dealer is an IDIOT!!!

With that logic you would have to build a new house every time the wall inside needed painting!! Really, don't listen to him. Obviously he is working on commission. There are many restoration threads on OTT, just take a look.

PS, Glad your with us!!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Wow- I agree with Eric and Kytim. Sure, a cheesy paint job may clue you in that someone is trying to hide something, but a well done paint job says that the owner cared for it, and did what was necessary to keep it nice.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I think it could be just that dealer in your area has a hard time moving used equipment that's been repainted. Or like Hodge said it could be just a gimmick to get you purchase new iron versus an old one. To me either way a sale is a sale and they still make money.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
I think that dealer is pulling your leg regarding repainting. I think the more likely thing is he doesn't want it rolling in as a trade-in looking like its in awesome condition because then his $1200 offer would make him look like he's really trying to take advantage. Much easier to offer you $1200 on a unit that is looking old and ugly and then slap a paint job on it before putting it out on his lot at top dollar...

The u-joints on that driveline were just worn out. Doesn't mean the tractor is shot by any means since the u-joints are wear items. The items you've listed are very inexpensive and easy to replace. I'd do all the loader and engine hoses, full fluid change, all lube points, belts and whatever else you find. You will still likely be into it less that one monthly payment on a new tractor and you will be starting from a known maintenance point.

I'd keep it and enjoy life unless you are just rolling in money that is burning a hole in your pocket. It will likely still be going strong long after both of us are gone if you take care of it.

Just my $.02,

Steve

PS - For reference, here in the Seattle area that tractor with a loader, one rear attachment, looking and running good, is worth somewhere between $3500 - $5000. The $1200 offer from the dealer is an insult unless the machine is completely beat. Worst case, eBay it if you decide to sell it and you can't a fair price for it locally.

Last edited:

E&S_aus

Equipment
2 x B7100HST with 60" MMM
Sep 20, 2012
NSW, Aust
Here in Aus 2100 hrs is lowish for a machine 15+ years old.
4000 hrs is starting to accumate some wear likely to require higher cost cycle repairs & maint - as machines approach these sort of hours many companies & councils look at disposal & replacement
Our B7100 had only 191 hrs on the meter when we got it recently but based on other signs of wear I reckon it's really done @ 800 - 1000 hrs (I believe the original owner seemed to like to start the machine then turn the key off to stop the meter).