What are High Hours for a Kubota tractor?

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Amount and type of use and maintenance.

A lot of small contractors in my area sell their iron at about ten years with 2,000-hrs. Across the board tractor users here consider this 'low time'. Have lately seen some with lower time due to FedGovt tax incentives for early write-offs on new eqpt.

A one- or two-man operation that takes care of their gear can be a real bargain find if you're patient and look around.

All of us have seen 500-hr machines with slick tires and loose nuts because it was ridden like a wild bronc by a non-owner hired hand.

My findings over time is to completely disregard the hour meter as unreliable. It can be used as an indicator, but combine the meter reading with close observation. Look--really look--at the machine and you can find a jewel.

Just like a vehicle: look for signs of wear compared to what the seller says. Maintenance logs, repair and parts tickets, dates written on filters. Try greasing one before buying--hit every zerk and see how many are plugged. Look around for bottles of off-brand fluids or 'leak stop' or starting fluids. Battey teminals chewed up?

Recent paint job to me causes a question: what's being hid? There are a lot of machines sold as 'rebuilt' when actually they just got a quick paint job in the barn. Personally, I'd rather see a prospective purchase in its native condition not even washed. Look for all those little tattle-tale fluid trails dripping.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
My old 7100 was bought used, abused and a broke hr meter with 1300 hrs on it. Have no clue how long it was broke. Replaced the meter and put on another 4200 hrs. It was still running good when I sold it. How a machine is treated and maintained determine how long it will last in most cases.
I agree with Bulldog.
When I sold my B7400 it had 1700 hours on it and it was worked hard from the previous owner to me. I had it 4-5 years and only had to service it and replace the small roller bearing guide on the hydrostat pedal.

I am sure that my 2010 B3200 will wear me out before I wear it out. It has 85 hours on it!

510EBL

Equipment
B7100 TLB
Jul 30, 2012
NJ, USA
My B7100 shows 7700 hours on what appears to be the original hour meter. I suspect someone left the key on for six months or so ;^)

She starts every time, smokes just a little more than she would have when new, and shows the wear and tear of a well-used...er, well-loved tractor. She has apparently had a rough life, but never complains.

I am kinda serious about the key being left on...we never really know the true hours on these machines unless we buy them new. Hour meters replaced or disconnected, keys left on, whatever. Stored inside, stored out in the weather, you can never really know if they were used to cut a golf course or drag logs.

We can almost universally agree however that it is usually cheaper to maintain and repair an older tractor than buy a brandy-new one, unless you are making money every day with it.