What a friggen week

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Well Monday started out with some roller repairs to do for the local farm plus we had three vehicles out by the door to be repaired so all was lined up for a busy week.
There is some much needed road work being done in front of our house and all along the main road. It's been going on for three weeks now. I was in the shop around 8:30 am when a worker from the road crew walked in and said " we are going to dig up in front of your driveway now. I said you can't because for one thing you gave no notice plus I have these vehicles to be repaired. To make a long story short I got enough time to get the vehicles done and picked up and they started the tear up.

While the driveway was unusable I had enough work sitting around to keep me going so I started in at it. Tuesday I was welding away and stopped for a little break when I noticed and older gent walking up our long 600 foot driveway carrying something under his arm. As he walked I couldn't help think to myself that he must have worked hard all his life because he was really bent over and each step seemed like a struggle.

As the door opened he stepped in and asked "Are you Paul". I said yes and he went on to tell me that another shop 15 miles away sent him here with a special project he was doing.
Observing the item he had under his arm he then proceeded to place it on the bench. I couldn't help but think although looking a little rough on the fabrication someone put a lot of work into it. It was constructed out of stainless steel. Looked as if it was stick welded but it looked like it was going to be a lunch box type of thing and I wondered why someone would build such a think :confused:

I asked the polite gent what he had and that's when I wished I had the time back so I could have never asked that question.

He replied. " Paul I have bone cancer. I don't have much longer to live and I'm building an urn to put my ashes in". He went on to say that he was a weldor for 40 years and just found out about the cancer. In the 18 years I've been in business I've never got such a shock. I was actually shaking to be honest.

He had a stainless knob that he wanted welded to the urn and some of the other welds cleaned up. I thought to myself that it must be important to him because he walked so far up our driveway to get here.

I told him I'd help him out so I got the tig set up and started to do the welding. I put the knob on and he was very impressed. I repaired the hinge and made some other improvements to the thing for him. I could see he was pleased so he asked me how much for the job and I just told him that we weren't open for business because the entrance was dug up so this repair was on us.

He was very moved and shook my hand, picked up the urn and left. My wife had been gone for a few hours, we had our van parked across the street so I had told her to go shopping.
When she returned she came in the shop, took one look at me and asked " what's wrong". I told her I had looked in the eyes of a dying man and went on to tell her the story. For the rest of the day and all this week it's really bothered me. I realized after that experience having our entrance dug up is such a small issue compared to what that man is dealing with.

Yesterday we got our entrance back and life is continuing on. We got a contract to do a Canadian Coast Guard boat, I'm a few days behind on my work but I don't consider it a problem after what I've seen this week.

Sorry I don't have any photos of the urn. I thought it would be in very poor taste to take a camera out while the poor guy was there. :eek:
I just wanted to share this story with you all.

Attachments

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Thanks for posting Paul, sure makes one think.

benben

Equipment
B7200 Hst with heated cabin
Dec 18, 2012
quebec canada
hello Wild
I now you only from the Forum,but I know you are a verry rare and good Person.Life mean not only money for you.No Maple Syrup putting around your mouth it is like I say.
I wish you and your lovely Wife a nice WE.by the way I dont like to read Forumstorys but from you I like to read those.1 Day I like to drink nice german Bottle of Beer with you.
Take care and thanks a lot

Benben

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Great story Paul,

Never know who you'll meet and when you will meet them!

Wildfire

Equipment

Thanks guys. There was a couple of reasons I posted this. One of them was to get everyone thinking. Don't sweet the small stuff and the next time we complain we need to stop and remember there are others that have it much worst.
This really affected me this week. Seeing a guy dying and upset because my driveway was blocked he had to walk 600' to get to the shop. As for the welding I did. Well anyone of us would have done the same that on here and I know that for a fact. It was hard to tig with my leg and hand shaking. I guess it shook me up a bit but it got done and that's all that matters.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well done!

The "job" you did for him meant a million to him!

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
A drop of kindness in an ocean of dis-pare will clear the murky waters giving a new perspective and appreciation for all involved.
You my friend, are a credit to humanity. Thank you for your kindness towards this gentleman in his time of need. :)

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Paul,

When I was told that I had leukemia and if I didn't do anything I would pass in 2 weeks. Well the first thing that went through my mind was my Army training. I know what the enemy is and it wanted to do harm to me so it must die. During the time I was getting chemo treatments there was times I could see in those around me that at that time my counts were not what they hoped for (keep in mind that I am still here and on OTT so all is good now). There were several times during that battle that a kind word, a funny story or a kind gesture that kept me strong and willing to have yet another I.V. shoved in to me and or take another pill. I can tell you what you did for that Gent was worth more than any of us will ever know as I know similar things done for me was priceless.

You Sir are a credit to humanity and I thank you.

Wildfire

Equipment
Thanks guys but like I said, Each and everyone on here would have done the same thing. This just set me back on my butt this week and I'm glad this week is over for me.

Kubota Man. It's me who should be thanking you for your service. It's people like you that gave us the freedom that we all enjoy today so thank you for that my friend.
So glad you won your fight with Cancer and thanks for sharing your story. I lost my mother to cancer when I was 13 years old and my dad with a brain tumor when I was 23 so that's why this poor guy had such an effect on me. Thanks for commenting.

Pizzaguy

Equipment
L3240 HSTC
Nov 24, 2012
Northwest Iowa
Wildfire- I always enjoy reading and learning from your posts, and today was no exception. We all need to realize what is important in life and I appreciate the reminder. You are a class act in every way. I follow you on the other forum site as well.

Last edited:

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
If I hadn't already figured it out, I would now have no doubt, you are a truly good man. Thank you for helping make his final days a just a little brighter.

dkc923

Equipment
m7060 cab, b2601, kx080-4, l305
Oct 11, 2013
South Louisiana
Wildfire- I always enjoy reading and learning from your posts, and today was no exception. We all need to realize what is important in life and I appreciate the reminder. You are a class act in every way. I follow you on the other forum site as well.
Other forum? Am I missing out on something? Could I inquire on which forum you are referring to?

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Other forum? Am I missing out on something? Could I inquire on which forum you are referring to?
I've seen him on Welding Web, but I'm active to various levels on at least 6 forums, with his range of skills/interests no telling how many he may be on.

Wildfire

Equipment
Thank you very much. Thats the reason I posted my experience was to show folks just how bad things can get. As for my posts. I'm just happy to know at least one person reads them. Your to kind :D

If I hadn't already figured it out, I would now have no doubt, you are a truly good man. Thank you for helping make his final days a just a little brighter.
Not sure if I'm worthy of your kind words but I do appreciate them. Thank you very much :)

I've seen him on Welding Web, but I'm active to various levels on at least 6 forums, with his range of skills/interests no telling how many he may be on.
Well I'm a member of numerous web sites. They include tractor sites, vehicle sites, motorcycle sites, design and fabrication. Welding, machining and yes the Welding Web amongst others.

The two sites I visit the most these days are this one and Tractorbynet.com.
I go by a few aliases and they are:

Hondadudecanada
Wildfire
Wildfire1
4shorts

You might have heard of them :confused: ;)

Gee. I spend way to much time on the computer :eek:

navspecwar

Equipment
B3300HST FEL, ATH72 Finish Mower, 5ft KKRear Blade,Piranha TB
Oct 5, 2013
Marion, Illinois
Thanks a lot for sharing that story with us. Inspiration comes in many forms and is propagated in many ways, the fact you made the choice to take the time to allow us all to share in this truly speaks volumes about you! Thank you.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Kind words and helping hands should be a normal for all people. When my high school sweetheart of 6 years and wife of 12 years ( who I loved dearly) asked for a divorce, I was devasted. Several mnths later, a female friend said some encourageing words to me and every time I see her, that's the first thing I think about. Thanks for shareing , Paul. "Too much time on the computer". I don't see how you have any time to get on the computer. I neeed to go change my tires on the bx for winter, but instead I'm sitting here Sat morning being lazy. But like you, I've already put in 70 hrs this week.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Thank you very much. Thats the reason I posted my experience was to show folks just how bad things can get. As for my posts. I'm just happy to know at least one person reads them. Your to kind :D

Not sure if I'm worthy of your kind words but I do appreciate them. Thank you very much :)

Well I'm a member of numerous web sites. They include tractor sites, vehicle sites, motorcycle sites, design and fabrication. Welding, machining and yes the Welding Web amongst others.

The two sites I visit the most these days are this one and Tractorbynet.com.
I go by a few aliases and they are:

Hondadudecanada
Wildfire
Wildfire1
4shorts

You might have heard of them :confused: ;)

Gee. I spend way to much time on the computer :eek:
Quite the contrary Paul, I always enjoy your posts as I am sure do the other members of OTT and TBN. You are not only a consummate craftsman, but a truly good person.