What a friggen week

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Thanks for sharing. Thing like that make you truly appreciate our time on Earth. It also gives meaning to the saying "What goes around Comes around". That is to say that if you do an act of kindness for a person in need, then hopefully there will be somebody there for you in your time of need. Keep up the posts and good fabrication work.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
No doubt a very humbiling experience . Thanks for sharing.
You visit any of the Delphi M/C forums?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Two years ago Paul I had a customer come to my shop carrying a cardboard box , it was about 6" x 6" x 6" . I had made him stainless sugaring pans in the past. He chatted for a minute with my helper and myself. I asked what was in the box ? He replied my "my mother.. I want a stainless urn made with the date stamped into the side. I'm having a small plaque made to glue to the urn. I want the box made, then mother put in it , then weld the cover shut"...my helper turned on his heel and out the door he went. LOL. He wanted no part of this. I made the stainless box and cover. Opened up the cardboard box. Mother was in a plastic bag. I was surprised by the weight of it. I transferred her into the box. Tacked the cover in place and tig-welded the cover shut and polished the welds.....A different situation then yours. But one I never thought I'd have to do.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Quite the contrary Paul, I always enjoy your posts as I am sure do the other members of OTT and TBN. You are not only a consummate craftsman, but a truly good person.
Thank you my friend. I've pulled back from posting as of late. Kinda tired of it but this event made me want to share what happened. I guess everything happens for a reason. I just need to figure out that reason :confused:
Thanks so much for your kind words. The funny thing about them is that's how I see you and your posts ;)

Thanks for sharing. Thing like that make you truly appreciate our time on Earth. It also gives meaning to the saying "What goes around Comes around". That is to say that if you do an act of kindness for a person in need, then hopefully there will be somebody there for you in your time of need. Keep up the posts and good fabrication work.
Good observations and points well taken. I think when situations like this happen they are intended to make a person sit back and think about the real important things in life and remind us just how short life is. Well that's the way I read into it. I think from now on I'm going to keep a little cooler head and when I look at other people I won't be so judgemental not that it's been a real problem but give people in general a little more slack so to speak. Thanks for your thoughts on this subject and my work. Just for you I included a sneak peak on my latest bit of fabrication. As I got going at it the work picked up in the shop so I'm trying to do it in the evenings and weekends. It makes for some loooong days but I'll get it done ;)

No doubt a very humbiling experience . Thanks for sharing.
You visit any of the Delphi M/C forums?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
No I haven't been on those forums. I spend some time on the GoldWing and other Honda forums including a few vintage MC forums but lately I'm spending less time on the net. To much to do around the house and shop.

Two years ago Paul I had a customer come to my shop carrying a cardboard box , it was about 6" x 6" x 6" . I had made him stainless sugaring pans in the past. He chatted for a minute with my helper and myself. I asked what was in the box ? He replied my "my mother.. I want a stainless urn made with the date stamped into the side. I'm having a small plaque made to glue to the urn. I want the box made, then mother put in it , then weld the cover shut"...my helper turned on his heel and out the door he went. LOL. He wanted no part of this. I made the stainless box and cover. Opened up the cardboard box. Mother was in a plastic bag. I was surprised by the weight of it. I transferred her into the box. Tacked the cover in place and tig-welded the cover shut and polished the welds.....A different situation then yours. But one I never thought I'd have to do.
Wow. Interesting story you did a great job on it and thanks for sharing it with me. I guess we never know what's going to come through our doors my friend.
I remember about five years ago my neighbour who had just moved here was looking for his brothers grave site. He's brother had died back in 1937 which was 10 years before this guy was even born but when he moved back to the area he set out to find the grave site.

Going through church records he eventually found the unmarked grave. He approached me to ask if I could make a all aluminum short decorative fence to place on the site.

Well as luck would have it I was extremely busy but my friend (at the time) who has a welding shop across the street was slow with no work so I recommended to him to ask him to fabricate it so off he went.

A few weeks later my elderly neighbour just happened to return to the shop to get some car repairs done and I just happened to ask him if he got the grave side fence done. He said yes but he wasn't to happy with it.

I was shocked! I asked why? He said parts were falling off of it when he picked it up. I said "come with me". We got in my truck and went over to my neighbours garage where he had the fence laid. I was horrified! It was all full of grinding marks, grease on it. It was only tacked in places and some parts were either off or ready to fall off. This thing was only 2' x 4' in size because the dead brother was a child when he had passed away.

I was so mad I put the thing up in the back of my truck and went over to see my weldor buddy. When he saw me coming he said " I knew you'd be coming over with that" I asked him why he gave my friend such a bad job and he said he bid to low and he got what he paid for. I was ripping mad :mad: I told him he only got it done here because I recommended you to him. As I left I said " Never Again"

I brought the fence back to my shop. After supper I went out to the shop and started in at it. I grinded off the messy mig welds and tiged them then I started to hand sand the aluminum. I used compound and polished it all. I finished at 330 am in the morning then went in and hit the bed.

The next morning I placed the fence in the truck and went over to my neighbours house. I asked him to come out to the truck. When he got to the truck and seen the fence he asked "did you made a new one"?
I said no but it was just as well I did lol. He liked it so much he actually teared up.
He said " now that's what I wanted to begin with". He asked how much do I owe you? I said no charge. I sent you to that guy because I trusted him and trusted he would treat you right, he didn't so its my responsibly to make things right which I feel I did.

Although I was mad because of what happened to my neighbour I was pleased with the outcome. My weldor friend and I never talked again after that. He eventually went out of business and now drives a small delivery truck around town.

My neighbour and I became very close friends and remained that way until three years ago when he himself passed away and I still miss him to this very day.

Sorry to make this post so long winded but there's so many unique experiences we encounter when in business and this was just one of them.

Attachments

Wildfire

Equipment
Kind words and helping hands should be a normal for all people. When my high school sweetheart of 6 years and wife of 12 years ( who I loved dearly) asked for a divorce, I was devasted. Several mnths later, a female friend said some encourageing words to me and every time I see her, that's the first thing I think about. Thanks for shareing , Paul. "Too much time on the computer". I don't see how you have any time to get on the computer. I neeed to go change my tires on the bx for winter, but instead I'm sitting here Sat morning being lazy. But like you, I've already put in 70 hrs this week.
I wanted to reply to your post but not on a muli post reply because I thought it was to important to treat it that way.
I'm so sorry to hear about your divorce. I can't begin to imagine the shock that was. What ever your friend said to you must have worked because you got through it and thank you for sharing that with us. I sure hope you find happiness in a relationship again. My wife is truly my best friend. I'm lucky that way.
Looks like you and I work some long hours. You deserve a break. Dad used to say that hard work won't kill you but if he was alive now we'd be having a debate on that subject ;)

I usually try and answer my posts, threads and emails during my quiet time of the day and I start that usually at 4:30 in the morning.
Some posts that "hit home" I try and ponder a bit before I reply to them and yours really "hit home". You take care and thanks for posting.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Folks respect hard work Paul. I've found in life some folks talk....and some folks 'Do'....I also found treating customers good and giving them what they want is the key to a successful business, folks can spend their money anywhere. When they buy from me I tell them how much I appreciate it.

Ironhorse

Equipment
BX25D, Piranha tooth bar, Landpride chipper, LP PHD
Aug 9, 2013
Montana
The fence story is one that everyone should know. It is the ultimate in honorable business practice and also applies to our personal lives. When my boy is older I will tell him about the two weldors and the fence. I might even tell him now and repeat until he's old enough to fully understand. In fact it will be our next bedtime story.

When I was a kid my mother and step-father took the four kids out to eat on the Maine coast while on vacation. My step-father was always meticulous about checking the bill and adding it up in his head. After this lobster dinner we all got in the car and instead starting the engine he said, "I think that waitress undercharged us." and went back into the restaurant to pay the extra. I don't think that lesson could have been presented in a better way. Here he was, a frugal man, getting a chance to save a few dollars and choosing to do the right thing. Its not the most heroic deed ever done but still a priceless gift to one kid and I assume the other three. I don't always live up to that standard but I remember that evening and I try.

Last edited:

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Enjoy your life. You have only one. All of you. And when you look around, you figure out, it could be worse.
I am thankfull for the things I have, and thankfull for the things I can give.

carl

Wildfire

Equipment
Folks respect hard work Paul. I've found in life some folks talk....and some folks 'Do'....I also found treating customers good and giving them what they want is the key to a successful business, folks can spend their money anywhere. When they buy from me I tell them how much I appreciate it.
So true. There's not a time when a customer leaves our shop when I say " Thanks, we really appreciate the business" and we really mean it. There are other times when we have to cut a customer loose. Just to much baggage to deal with. It's all a balancing act that has to be handled carefully. Someone was asking me awhile ago how I'd like to be remembered after I pass on and I replied " I'd like people to remember me as a good father, good husband and someone who knew his work but I'd settle for the father and husband part more than anything else. ;)

The fence story is one that everyone should know. It is the ultimate in honorable business practice and also applies to our personal lives. When my boy is older I will tell him about the two welders and the fence. I might even tell him now and repeat until he's old enough to fully understand. In fact it will be our next bedtime story.

When I was a kid my mother and step-father took the four kids out to eat on the Maine coast while on vacation. My step-father was always meticulous about checking the bill and adding it up in his head. After this lobster dinner we all got in the car and instead starting the engine he said, "I think that waitress undercharged us." and went back into the restaurant to pay the extra. I don't think that lesson could have been presented in a better way. Here he was, a frugal man, getting a chance to save a few dollars and choosing to do the right thing. Its not the most heroic deed ever done but still a priceless gift to one kid and I assume the other three. I don't always live up to that standard but I remember that evening and I try.
There's so many stories but these are just two of them. I could write a book n the happenings in and around our shop. Glad you enjoyed reading two of them. Your step-dad showed great signs of honesty and that a rare thing to see in people these days.

Enjoy your life. You have only one. All of you. And when you look around, you figure out, it could be worse.
I am thankfull for the things I have, and thankfull for the things I can give.

carl
Well said Carl. My wife and I are very thankful as well for what we have and the most important thing we have is our two sons. They are out in the world now helping others and that's gives us pride and peace of mind.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Paul as I read this thread I am reminded of the closing charge,,,
SO that we enjoin it upon you, do good to unto all, while we recommend it more especially to those who are the household of the faithful,,,,
While you may not be a brother of the craft, in your heart you are.

Wildfire

Equipment
Paul as I read this thread I am reminded of the closing charge,,,
SO that we enjoin it upon you, do good to unto all, while we recommend it more especially to those who are the household of the faithful,,,,
While you may not be a brother of the craft, in your heart you are.

My friend that sounds deep but I haven't a clue what it means. I was never much of a church goer although I do believe. :confused:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Not church . . . . but I do recognize the wording, (tho somewhat different ,which is not unusual), from my travels . . . :)