Well... It’s Finally A COLD DAY IN HELL. !!!

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
10 degrees today 10 in. of snow on the ground. We have had both before but not at the same time here in south AR. Will be below freezing for at least a 12 day run which is very very unusual, last time was 1980. Also in the following summer of 1980 there was a stretch of 12 or more days where it was over 110 and not a drop of rain for over a month. Hope this coming summer is no repeat.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Geez, we're 22F today in Upstate NY, and may get 6-8" mixed with sleet/freezing rain by tomorrow AM. Getting to near 40F tomorrow.

Certainly not a big deal for us.

As several have said, not what you're used to dealing with.

Hope you all make out okay and stay safe.

Last edited:

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Well.... Let’s just say that in Central/South Texas it’s considered “eFFin’ COLD! :ROFLMAO:

You may have heard of a place down here on Lake Travis/Austin called “Hippie-Hollow”...??
Well.... you can BET they’re wearing CLOTHES TODAY! 😂 :ROFLMAO: 😅
Maybe, but are the UPS drivers still wearing shorts?

Reactions: 2 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
It was -30° F (actual temp) or colder here Valentines day morning. The septic effluent line out to the mound system froze. Had to jerry rig another pump and set it to watering/fertilizing the trees until things warm up a bit. LOL! Spent about an hour or two outside getting things going. Was getting a little bit chilly towards the end but the mosquito count was still ZERO so it wasn't all that bad. Cleaned up a little bit afterwards and took the wife out for a Valentine's day dinner. No emergency warnings or road restrictions due to the temps. No bugs hitting the windshields either! Just another fine day in hell. 🤣

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Was getting a little bit chilly towards the end but the mosquito count was still ZERO so it wasn't all that bad........ No bugs hitting the windshields either! 🤣
David - -

I want to know if you saw any alligators or large snakes (think Burmese python, anaconda) while out and about at -30F in ND?!?!

I don't like 'gators or large snakes (small snakes like we have here are okay..)

I've found snow and cold temps are a good repellent for them..... so far...

Do you think I'm still safe here in Upstate New York? :)

Just poking fun of course....your mention of -30F and mosquitoes was funny. :cool::cool:

-30F is REALLY cold. I've seen -36F a couple times...

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
David - -

I want to know if you saw any alligators or large snakes (think Burmese python, anaconda) while out and about at -30F in ND?!?!

I don't like 'gators or large snakes (small snakes like we have here are okay..)

I've found snow and cold temps are a good repellent for them..... so far...

Do you think I'm still safe here in Upstate New York? :)

Just poking fun of course....your mention of -30F and mosquitoes was funny. :cool::cool:

-30F is REALLY cold. I've seen -36F a couple times...
RCW, I think you're fairly safe there as we are here of those snakes and gators! LOL! Being cold blooded, they'd be moving pretty slow at these temps. Actual temps in the minus 30s is starting to get a little chilly and things don't work so well being out in it for a length of time. I think our record low was -40 something back in 2004 but the state record was minus 60°F back in 1936. Now that'd be downright cold. And Yup, no Asian "murder hornets" sighted here yet either. 🤣 Stay healthy and warm out there!
Spring is just around the corner somewhere......

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
32F here now. Rain finally moved through and I've been watching the trees ice up. There were already a little icy from yesterday. I have several cedar trees and their limbs have been drooping lower and lower through the day. Ugh. I was in the barn and I hear a crack and see a big limb in my drive from the cedar tree in the back yard. Supposed to be down to 12F tonight, 26F high tomorrow and rain back Wednesday. At least I have a tractor with a grapple now. :(

Attachments

Adam G

Equipment
BX22 (Sold) B2920, LA364, BH65 w/Thumb, RCK60, Woods 5000 chipper, Bush Hog rear
Apr 1, 2018
Upstate NY
Winter in upstate NY lets you play with your tractor:)
Winter 2021.jpg

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Here in the frozen realm of upstate New York, what you call hell, we just call winter. And for those of you in points south, winter is not a 3 month period spanning from December 21st- March 20; it’s actually about 5 months, or maybe a little bit longer from just after Halloween until whenever the tulips and daffodils start popping up.
In May of 1992, I got an award from GE, which required I travel to Schenectady to receive, and have a dinner with Alan Clark (then current department general manager of our division). Just a quick little jaunt up north for a good ol' boy from Alabama. Having been there before, didn't really think twice about it. Until I got off the plane. When I left Birmingham, it was 85 degrees, good short sleeve weather. When I got off the plane in Schenectady, it was 12 degrees, and nearly 3 feet of snow on the tarmac. I was just a wee bit underdressed for the occasion. No one told me that spring started in August up there. And so does autumn. There's only about a week of summer up there. I was there from Labor Day until mid November in 1982. Beautiful leaf change, then the rains hit and it got cold. I had to change a water pump on my car in October. It was so cold, I didn't get wet in the rain. Instead, the rain froze in a sheet of ice on my shoulders. I understand why Upstaters are so grumpy now.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
My first time ever in Florida was in 2007 at Blanding (not sure if I spelt it properly) with the Canadian army, we were using the NG maintenance bays I was a tech at the time. I went to use the bathroom and the sink was running, so I of course shut it off. sorry My US ranks are bad, in Canada it would be the MWO or ET who is the top NCM yelled out of his office “turn that f‘n tap back on”. So I go back and when I walked by his door he apologized for yelling at me, said he didn’t realize it was a Canadian that shut it off.. we had a fun chat about how the water pipes are not buried there. my well pipe to my house is 4’ under grade and last time I replaced it I used 4“ of 2’ wide insulation over the pipes., they will never freeze again.
Never say never .....

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I ain't too far from Texas. Spent a good bit of time at Round Rock when I were a kid so I'm familar with hippie hollow. And of course 6th among other things. Around 94 I was there and it snowed. I thought Arkansans were weird when it snowed, ain't seen nothing til you seen Texicans! Went ice skating in Austin....boy....I'll never do that again. Spent Christmas at San Antonio and visited some friends at San Marcos and New Braunfels before we went back north. Great time except the snow, slowed us down.

Now theyr'e saying rolling blackouts here. That's not good news. I have gas heat which is great. Unfortunately I ran out of firewood today, so the fireplace is currently inoperative. Ran out of HW pallets. All I have is some green Ash trees out back, everything else is evergreen and I really dont' want to resort to that. Will if I have to but do not want to! I like burning hardwood pallets but you have to know what kinda wood they are because there are different kinds. Most of what I use is oak and hickory, and use some of the hickory for crafts. But I have already burnt the crafts that I had started on. Low tonight is expected to be about 5 below maybe lower here at the house because I'm kinda down off in a valley. If the electricity goes out, I'm done for. I've done my part. Thermostat is on 60 and I'm bundled up. Everything in the shop is OFF. Lights OFF outside. Only thing on is the computer & router and the furnace. And water heater to keep the water flowing (it's out in the garage so it will freeze).

When they started talking about rolling blackouts I decided it was time to become a country boy again. THe grill still works and I have fuel stashed for it, and a generator will run the auger & fan easily. Fired up the little generator, got the grill hot and smoked a rabbit I killed in the yard this morning. Wasn't great but edible for sure. I have some snow gathered in a bucket melting as we speak, through a charcoal filter for water--just in case. I can get out, the old F250 gets around decently, even with 10" of snow on the highways it does just ok. BUT...it's got issues and I am not driving it any more than I have to.

I certainly can't wait for better weather.

Friday after work, I was sitting in the truck letting it warm up a little. While I was sitting there, I told myself, man you outta go to the coast for the weekend-it wouldnt' be the first time. The ONLY thing keeping me from doing it was knowing I'd have to come back to this mess anyway.

Ever heard of ice quake? Pretty sure I just had one!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Lugbolt,
What were you doing in Round Rock? I work in Round Rock at TECO-Westinghouse Motor Company.