Weight of Kubota L3800 HST

tsafa

Equipment
Kubota L3800, FEL, F550 Dump, 10K Trailer
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Not sure the year Tundra you're looking at, but the newer ones will tow 10k without breaking a sweat. With the 5.7 motor, they have a 6spd auto and 4.30 in the rear end. Don't think I'd try it with an F150 or silverado though. You will need trailer brakes at that weight though.
I would be a brand new Tundra. I just wish they made them with a manual transmission. I have been driving a stick for 20 years now and will miss it if I have to make this move from my Tocoma which has a stick.

Hammer Head

Equipment
L3800 LA524 B77, Ford 1720, Scag Tiger Cat
Oct 6, 2013
Lock Haven, PA
I don't know the exact length but with loader and backhoe you will take up almost the entire floor of a 16' trailer to get the propper tongue weight.

This is my opinion but I'll not feel right if I didn't throw it out there. I think you will regret getting a aluminum trailer. If you were running up and down the hyw with a hotrod car that would be great. If you stick that tractor on the back and start going off road it will break the trailer apart.

With only standard ramps when you go to load up it will mash the rear of the trailer flat down to the ground and pick the back of your truck up in the air, I have seen it happen. With the backhoe on it will weigh over 5K and around 4000lbs are on the rear tires. When they hit the ramps if you don't have kicker legs it's going to the ground.

Again, this is just my opinion but I strongly suggest getting a equipment trailer not a car hauler. For that size tractor I think minimum size to be 16' and no lighter than 5K axles. I have hauled my L3000 all over the place and started out with a 16' with 3500K axles. It did okay with everything but when I had the backhoe mounted. It wasn't safe and it showed every time I hit a bump in the road. My current trailer has a 20' deck with 2' dove tail and is rated to haul 11,500 lbs. Night and day difference, it was money well spent.

If you are willing to upgrade your tow vehicle then do the same for your trailer. Make it easy on yourself and get what you need the first time.
I just bought a CarMate #10000GVW 18' beavertail for my L3800. I have the LA524 loader and B77 Hoe. Dealer called today to let me know the trailer is in, can't wait to get it so I can move my tractor. Everyone I talked with recommended 18' Min. with most saying to get the 20'. I did fit the tractor on my 14' landscape trailer however it was tight and maxed out for weight. The bucket was rolled up on the front rail with the hoe swung to the side to get the gate closed.

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I just bought a CarMate #10000GVW 18' beavertail for my L3800. I have the LA524 loader and B77 Hoe. Dealer called today to let me know the trailer is in, can't wait to get it so I can move my tractor. Everyone I talked with recommended 18' Min. with most saying to get the 20'. I did fit the tractor on my 14' landscape trailer however it was tight and maxed out for weight. The bucket was rolled up on the front rail with the hoe swung to the side to get the gate closed.
Thanks for that info. What was the cost of the trailer?

Hammer Head

Equipment
Oct 6, 2013
Lock Haven, PA
Thanks for that info. What was the cost of the trailer?
It was $3500+ tax and tags. I could have found a better deal if I had the time to shop around. I needed to complete the transaction for the tractor and trailer before the end of my fiscal year.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
On the local news a couple years ago here on the Maine Turnpike it showed a half ton pickup with a trailer with a small excavator on it. The trailer had started fish tailing and broke loose rolling completely over. In the photos though , the excavator was still securely strapped to the trailer....lol
And by the was , the excavator had just been rented,,,,lol again

Hammer Head

Equipment
Oct 6, 2013
Lock Haven, PA
The 18' will give you additional room to adjust your load, if you get the lighter trailer you will wish you got the bigger one later.
This dealer has some of the best prices in central PA. I bought a 16' enclosed work trailer from them.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The first one is a lot better, I would still avoid the second even if you go without the backhoe.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
You're going to want something with flip up equipment ramps. Since you insist on hauling with a TOYota you'll need those feet at the back of the ramps to keep from sea-sawing the ass end of your truck into the air.

The weight of the tractor climbing onto a trailer will lift and pull on the rear of the truck and having a trailer with the right ramps prevents that from happening.

http://www.trailersuperstore.com/trailers-for-sale/carry-on-7-x-18-equipment-trailer-10000-gvw

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I will add this, I've had a Carry-On 6x16 tandem axel trailer since new in 1999 and it hasn't let me down at all in the last 14 years. I had a Suburban stuffed on my trailer which I'm sure over loaded it and my trailer took it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Having a dove tail is a big advantage. You won't realize how big a difference it makes until you have had both types.

You will kick you own ass every time you load the tractor if you don't get one with ramps like what Eric listed. The little drop legs are a must or just like he said the sea-saw affect comes into play and the rear of your truck will be in the air. My first 16' trailer had set on ramps and I jacked the rear of my F150 off the ground loading a B7100.

With or without the backhoe I still suggest staying away from 3500 lb axles. You'll be much happier with a trailer in the 10K range.

MHO
If you want a great match for that size tractor get a 20' - 22' with dove tail. Brakes on both axles, fold down ramps, 82" wide deck without rails. A deck that size gives you plenty of room to balance the load no matter what implement you have on. Another plus to that size is it has enough room to carry other implements on the front and still allows you to balance the load.
I'm not going to knock your Tundra but the ability to get the correct tongue weight may be the difference that keeps you out of the ditch. I know what they are rated to pull but it's just not the same as towing with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I'm a Ford man myself. I even see a lot of men who have firewood businesses here in the northeast who drive Chevy buy Fords because the suspension is made for hauling a load. A couple weeks ago I had a customer here from New Hampshire with a big Toyota pickup, brand new with paper plate. I asked him about the horsepower ? He pulled the window sticker from the glovebox. It read 372 HP...wow now that's some power. But suspension can be beefed up for hauling if needed.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I watched on T/V a toyota truck pulled the space shuttle.

Even after that when I think of pulling a load I still think of Ford or Dodge first.

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
You're going to want something with flip up equipment ramps. Since you insist on hauling with a TOYota you'll need those feet at the back of the ramps to keep from sea-sawing the ass end of your truck into the air.

The weight of the tractor climbing onto a trailer will lift and pull on the rear of the truck and having a trailer with the right ramps prevents that from happening.

http://www.trailersuperstore.com/trailers-for-sale/carry-on-7-x-18-equipment-trailer-10000-gvw
Thanks for that recommendation. It makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
I watched on T/V a toyota truck pulled the space shuttle.

Even after that when I think of pulling a load I still think of Ford or Dodge first.
Go read some posts of guys that went from F250s and larger trucks to the Tundra for towing 10k+ lbs. One in particular prefers to pull his 11k load with the tundra over his dodge 3500 dually as it gets up to speed faster, has more passing power, and drives better overall.

There's another guy in Texas pulling 15k on a 5th wheel in the Tundra several times a week who traded in his F250 for it and hasn't been happier. The Tundra is the best driving full size out there. With the 4.30 gear in the back combined with its 6spd auto, it gets up to speed rather quickly.

I can understand those who don't know and have no experience with the truck questioning it based on what they know in regards to domestics, but having owned one and towed with it, I can assure you it's an excellent choice. Gas mileage on it isn't the best, and it's the only drawback of the truck. For towing regularly, installing leveling airbags in the rear is something I'd advise, especially if you want to carry a ton or more in the bed.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If you have to modify a brand new truck with air bags to tow better then there is something wrong right straight out the shoot. Yeah a 15k 5th wheel trailer behind a Tundra in the flat lands of Texas may be ok, but after looking at Google maps it appears as Tsafa lives in the hilly part of Pa and I don't forsee a Toyota working out well in a mountain region.

You can put 4.30 gears and a power house 372hp motor into a VW Bettel it sure as hell doesnt mean it'll pull a grade or be able to stop the load. I've been driving trucks and trailers way to long to know that I want the longest heaviest truck I can possibly have out infront under the load for better controll.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
If you have to modify a brand new truck with air bags to tow better then there is something wrong right straight out the shoot. Yeah a 15k 5th wheel trailer behind a Tundra in the flat lands of Texas may be ok, but after looking at Google maps it appears as Tsafa lives in the hilly part of Pa and I don't forsee a Toyota working out well in a mountain region.

You can put 4.30 gears and a power house 372hp motor into a VW Bettel it sure as hell doesnt mean it'll pull a grade or be able to stop the load. I've been driving trucks and trailers way to long to know that I want the longest heaviest truck I can possibly have out infront under the load for better controll.
Eric, I agree with all you said, but have you looked at the newer Tundras? They are a huge truck! Actually larger than I want in a Toyota.

I like the older small Toyotas for fartin around in the woods, but I've always used a heavy duty 3/4 ton plus for hauling a heavy load. The Tundra meets the full size, bigass, heavy hauler need. No, I don't have one... :)