Weight of Kubota L3800 HST

tsafa

Equipment
Kubota L3800, FEL, F550 Dump, 10K Trailer
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Hi all.

The specs list the Kubota L3800 HST at 2,600 lbs

Does anyone know what the weight of the following items from Kubota for the L3800 :

Wheel Ballasts:
Front Loader:
BackHoe:
3 point Mower:
Salt spreader:

I need to know for the purposes of hauling on a trailer. Thanks

Last edited:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I think I just read all theses spec's yesterday in a post of someone else who just brought a L3800 also....surf around here...you'll see it.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Wheel ballast +/- 600
loader +/- 1200
backhoe, depending on model +/- 1100
Finish mower +/- 600
Not sure about salt spreader

$.02
Get a trailer with two (at least) 5K axles. Brakes on both would be a plus

Last edited:

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Thanks for for the info everyone. I could not find the other thread with the info.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The weights I gave were more or less based on my L3000 which is close to the same size as your 3800.

You never said if you were looking to buy a trailer or if you plan to use one you already have. I'll throw this in for you to use either way. Your tractor with the loader and backhoe is really more than what a trailer with two 3500lb axles should haul. Not saying it won't do it but it's all a trailer that size can handle. MHO

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
The weights I gave were more or less based on my L3000 which is close to the same size as your 3800.

You never said if you were looking to buy a trailer or if you plan to use one you already have. I'll throw this in for you to use either way. Your tractor with the loader and backhoe is really more than what a trailer with two 3500lb axles should haul. Not saying it won't do it but it's all a trailer that size can handle. MHO
Thanks for your feedback. I don't have a trailer yet. I was thinking of getting an Aluminum Trailer.

http://www.alumaklm.com/tandem-axle-utilities.html

I was thinking the model 7814 or 7816.

The weight of the aluminum trailer is only about 1,000 lbs. That leaves about 6,000 lbs of payload over the double axles. The trailer is going to cost $5,000. A steel one will only cost about $2,300, but the weight would have been about 2,000 lbs... so I am 1,000 lbs over-weight in that case.

I am also debating is how to tow. The Tocoma SR5 is rated to tow 6,400 lbs. I am wondering if I can get away with it or if I should upgrade to a Tundra.

Do you know what the length of the L3800 is with the front loader and backhoe? I am not sure if I can get away with a 12 ft... or if I need a 14 ft or 16 ft.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The 7800 series models are way to light of a trailer!
To get any kind of life out of it, You need to step up to the 8200 series models, at a minimum.
The fact that they are running on 14" tires is a real turn off to me, you can get a lot better load rated tire in a 15" or better yet 16".
Light is almost always a bad idea when it comes to a trailer IMHO!

Just remember that you wanting to tow a trailer and tractor that will weigh twice as much as a Tacoma and even a Tundra for that matter, that's a recipe for disaster in my book.:eek:

Last edited:

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
People (not picking on the OP) way undersize their tow vehicles. A caravan pulling a 22' camper?! I don't like my 1/2 ton pickup pulling my dad's L3710. Bigger, bigger, bigger if your going to tow with any frequency.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Ok. So it looks like the Tundra and an 8200 series trailer are the better option.

Anybody know the length of the 3800 with the frontloader and backhoe. I don't have the backhoe yet, so I can't just go measure it. Thanks.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't know the exact length but with loader and backhoe you will take up almost the entire floor of a 16' trailer to get the propper tongue weight.

This is my opinion but I'll not feel right if I didn't throw it out there. I think you will regret getting a aluminum trailer. If you were running up and down the hyw with a hotrod car that would be great. If you stick that tractor on the back and start going off road it will break the trailer apart.

With only standard ramps when you go to load up it will mash the rear of the trailer flat down to the ground and pick the back of your truck up in the air, I have seen it happen. With the backhoe on it will weigh over 5K and around 4000lbs are on the rear tires. When they hit the ramps if you don't have kicker legs it's going to the ground.

Again, this is just my opinion but I strongly suggest getting a equipment trailer not a car hauler. For that size tractor I think minimum size to be 16' and no lighter than 5K axles. I have hauled my L3000 all over the place and started out with a 16' with 3500K axles. It did okay with everything but when I had the backhoe mounted. It wasn't safe and it showed every time I hit a bump in the road. My current trailer has a 20' deck with 2' dove tail and is rated to haul 11,500 lbs. Night and day difference, it was money well spent.

If you are willing to upgrade your tow vehicle then do the same for your trailer. Make it easy on yourself and get what you need the first time.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I have to side with the others aluminium is not the way to go if you're hauling the backhoe/loader up and down the highways all the time. You will indeed bend the hell out of the deck not to mention how slippery when wet it will be and if you have mud all over the tires you dont stand a chance in hell loading a muddy tractor on that slick trailer.

If you're already considering upgrading a truck as well then you may want to entertain the idea of looking on the minim of a 3/4 ton full size and stay away from the Mickey Mouse puddle jumper toys. You can pick up a quality used regular cab or extended cab Ford F-250 or Chevy and Dodge 2500's that are capable of 10,000 GVW right off the bat.

Take a peak at these Kaufman trailers and pick out atleast an 18 footer with a wood deck on it and flip up loading ramps.

http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/equipment-trailers/equipment-trailer/

OHH and almost forgot this tip to, buy some chains and binders to chain down the L3800 to the trailer with. I would not trust ratchet straps on a tractor this size. I use a chain and ratchet binder on my B6100

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
If you're already considering upgrading a truck as well then you may want to entertain the idea of looking on the minim of a 3/4 ton full size and stay away from the Mickey Mouse puddle jumper toys. You can pick up a quality used regular cab or extended cab Ford F-250 or Chevy and Dodge 2500's that are capable of 10,000 GVW right off the bat.
The Tundra is no Mickey Mouse toy and it is very capable, but I'd probably get a Ford myself.

tsafa

Equipment
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I will start looking into getting a steel trailer rated for about 10,000 lbs. Given that I already have a Tocoma, it will probably be easier to upgrade through Toyota for Tundra.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Tundra is on the light side but it'll do it.
Just don't try and pull any steep grades for too long and make sure you get electric trailer brakes.
A good up-grade for the truck would be a better load rated tire, E rated tires are real good for holding a load and hauling.
If you are going to have to go any great distances you might want to get a stabilizing hitch too, really helps with rough and rutted roads and windy conditions.

I have a L3450 and it weighs in about 200 pounds heavier than the L3800 and I hauled it 400 miles on a 20 foot flat bed behind a Tahoe with no issues.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The Tundra is no Mickey Mouse toy and it is very capable, but I'd probably get a Ford myself.
Had a Nissan Titan pass me on the highway a while back pulling a goose neck trailer and what looked to be house hold furniture covered up by a tarp. The ass end of the Nissan was squatting something fierce and he was swerving all over the road trying to get up hill. I was actually uneasy with him passing me and I was in a big rig. I knew if he got infront of me I'd end up killing him.

It was not a very big goose neck trailer, maybe 16ft low profile.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Trailers like trucks each have each their own use, and the problem as I see it, is folks try to make do with what they've got, or have no idea what they've got.
A truck, is a truck, is a truck, just aint so no more. Once upon a time a pickup could do most anything you asked but if you look in the owners manual, you find out that it is not rated for towing over XXXX pounds or that the hitch is not rated for over XXX pounds and so on.
Just cause you have a pickup with a bigassed motor don't mean you can haul squat, if it's not designed to, and all pickups aint designed to !
Just MHO

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Had a Nissan Titan pass me on the highway a while back pulling a goose neck trailer and what looked to be house hold furniture covered up by a tarp. The ass end of the Nissan was squatting something fierce and he was swerving all over the road trying to get up hill. I was actually uneasy with him passing me and I was in a big rig. I knew if he got infront of me I'd end up killing him.

It was not a very big goose neck trailer, maybe 16ft low profile.
Yes, but that was a Nissan. Not a Toyota! ;);) :cool::cool:

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Not sure the year Tundra you're looking at, but the newer ones will tow 10k without breaking a sweat. With the 5.7 motor, they have a 6spd auto and 4.30 in the rear end. Don't think I'd try it with an F150 or silverado though. You will need trailer brakes at that weight though.