Water Separator Wrench

chris_the_wrench

Equipment
L3902
Oct 31, 2023
Chinook Pass
The great freeze was beyond the gel point of my diesel(apparently). Tractor(L3902) has been a bit grumpy. Ive got a dose of antigel in the tank and pulled the fuel filter. The water separator looks like a cottage cheese slushy, Id like to pull and clean it. None of my oil filter strap wrenches are working to get it loose, and it's bigger than all my slip joint pliers will accommodate.

I'm looking for recommendation on a specific wrench(style) to engage the retaining ring.

IMG_7717.jpeg

Something like this or I also see adjustable versions?
61130_D9C8CF7FACD6F.jpg

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have had great success with this type of "wrench"

this has "sand particles" for grip and works well - you will need to make sure overall diameter will grip.

1705789501783.png

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The great freeze was beyond the gel point of my diesel(apparently). Tractor(L3902) has been a bit grumpy. Ive got a dose of antigel in the tank and pulled the fuel filter. The water separator looks like a cottage cheese slushy, Id like to pull and clean it. None of my oil filter strap wrenches are working to get it loose, and it's bigger than all my slip joint pliers will accommodate.

I'm looking for recommendation on a specific wrench(style) to engage the retaining ring.

View attachment 120662

View attachment 120663
My big set of Channel Loks open to 4"
Not big enough?

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Got an old serp belt? Cut it down and wrap around the filter head, place both ends into channel locks/pliers then loosen filter.

Reactions: 1 users

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I use channel locks but small pipe wrench would work as well both used with a very gentle touch.

or ask a cook / spouse to see if they have a jar top wrench / gadget. Or wrap a kitchen silicone hot pad in that can help you get a better purchase with your hand. Or a computer mouse pad also gives a purchase that wont slip as much.

in the old days when we be real poor and not many tools a loop of rope/cord wrapped around and then a stick twisted in (think of an emergency tourniquet)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
I wonder if there's just enough swelling of the bowl that it's preventing you from turning it. Can you get some heat blowing on it to thaw it out?

Reactions: 1 users

chris_the_wrench

Equipment
L3902
Oct 31, 2023
Chinook Pass
I have had great success with this type of "wrench"
There's abit too much stuff going on around the area to fit that type on. I have another style where I can disengage the 'strap' and even that doesn't quite work.

My big set of Channel Loks open to 4"
I didn't measure mine, but they gotta be close to 4" and can't get a good purchase.

Got an old serp belt?
I like this, I think I do, I'll give that a try in the morning.

I wonder if there's just enough swelling of the bowl that it's preventing you from turning it.
I was kinda wondering that too.

Thanks for the great replies, Im gonna try the old serp belt in the morning.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
If it's not coming loose with a strap wrench, I'd be cautious of using anything else with more force. That could break something.
Get a heat gun or hair dryer and give it some heat to liquefy the fuel again.

Reactions: 4 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll second The Evil Twin, warm it up before you even try and remove it.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I dont have a true strap wrench. The oil filter wrench doesnt quite fit. Im going to try the suggestion of a piece of belt in the morning and see how it goes. If that doesnt work, I’ll consider warming it up.
I'll third the idea of gently warming up that region. There are a bunch of plastic parts in that region that judging from the frost all over it are really cold. Plastic is brittle, and force may cause more troubles. It normally doesn't take much force to get the water separator off.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I dont have a true strap wrench. The oil filter wrench doesnt quite fit. Im going to try the suggestion of a piece of belt in the morning and see how it goes. If that doesnt work, I’ll consider warming it up.
There has been at least three folks suggest heating BEFORE attempting removal. I take it you like to gamble!!

• Haha

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Squurt it with WD40. Then, get a really big flat blade screwdriver, and lightly tap it counter clockwise with a hammer. Lightly means softly. In a few minites it will either come off or destroy only 1 lip on the "nut".

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.

View attachment 120662

View attachment 120663
ducktape just rep some around oil filter wrench in a cople of spots just the size of the notches on the nut