Watch out for your CATS

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Catalytic converter theft has always been a thing but tends to come and go in waves. We have been seeing a bunch of them come in since around the first of the year, also been a lot of reports on our private Ford dealer forum lately all across the country.

I know most of us live in rural areas but when out and about,especially at night be mindful where you leave your vehicle (its almost always trucks, suvs, and vans that are easy to slide under).

For those that have dpf equipped diesel trucks, those bring better money then a catalytic converter.

Also for newer Ford truck owners with aluminum body, tailgates are a very popular item as well. Doesnt take but a second to get one off and go. It got so bad here that we have been installing tailgate locks on every new and used truck that goes on the lot.

Just posting as a PSA for OTT!!!

Reactions: 3 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Thanks for the warning.
Tailgate theft (of any kind/brand) has always been high around here. If you haven't got a lock, it's gone.
I have a 5th wheel gate on mine, and I'm constantly getting stopped & asked if I still have my original gate, and if so, do I want to sell it. I know (2) people who have gone into a QT for a snack after fueling, and come out to find their tailgate gone.

Reactions: 1 user

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
There has been a rash of CAT thefts in my area in the last few months. Last I heard, there were 70 or 80 thefts in a couple of months. Many were off new pickups, as the y set up high and are easy to get under with a battery powered recip saw to cut the pipes. They need to bust the buyers, as they know full well they are stolen.

Reactions: 5 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I'm all in for an open season on both, the thief and the buyer.

Reactions: 5 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Several years ago, when little brother was still working for the boiler makers union and traveled a lot. Over a 6 month time frame, he had several cats removed from his rental cars. Seemed to be mostly in rural areas, where the cars sat for a couple days in parking garages or hotel lots when the company and union were in negations for contracts. The local popo, didnt seem to be very interested and car rental companies seemed to take the loss as a matter of fact.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We have had 4 of them stolen from work vehicles. Cut through the fence, hit each vehicle and was gone in less than 10 minutes. Two guys doing it. One cutting, one was hauling off the loot. Caught it on video, but unable to make out the face due to mask.

They have been hitting business throughout our area.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
It really is a shame that the people buying the componts of the cats have zero accountability and are probably making money on the thefts. Make the resales harder, and the thefts would stop.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
We have had 4 of them stolen from work vehicles. Cut through the fence, hit each vehicle and was gone in less than 10 minutes. Two guys doing it. One cutting, one was hauling off the loot. Caught it on video, but unable to make out the face due to mask.

They have been hitting business throughout our area.
Fleets tend to be the most popular target from what we see. Since everything was mostly shut down here last week we got a whole fleet of public transport busses in Monday with no converters.

Also had a customer that just bought a 21 F150, converters were stolen in his driveway the first night he had it.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Seems like a lot of work. I would probably just "work a job" instead.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
This was recently posted by a nearby sheriff's office.

RileyCountyPD

Thefts of catalytic converters from vehicles has risen recently. This is most likely due to the more than quadruple rise in price of palladium, a precious metal found in catalytic converters. Thieves can remove this critical component of a vehicle's exhaust system in less than one minute and now sell it for up to $1,000 apiece.
Hybrid cars such as the Toyota Prius with low emissions use more palladium in their catalytic converters and the part is also more accessible due to its location on the vehicle. This makes the Prius and similar hybrids easy targets for thieves.
Here are some tips to prevent theft of catalytic converters
⤵️

- Park in a garage or well-lit area
- Engrave your VIN number into your catalytic converter
- Install a car alarm to detect car vibration
- Install a catalytic converter lock device

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
D2cat or install a bullet in there a** when they are under the car... I had one stolen back in 2010 ish off my brand new truck. It cost me over 3000 bucks in damage. The track had sensors ripped out and they cut so close to other things that caused more damage. it was a hell of a bill and those were aftermarket parts with no labor. I had a friend of mine help me and let me use his lift. We got it fixed but wasn't happy about it. But the oem parts with labor would have been 8000. Mines well trade it at that point...

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
D2cat or install a bullet in there a** when they are under the car... I had one stolen back in 2010 ish off my brand new truck. It cost me over 3000 bucks in damage. The track had sensors ripped out and they cut so close to other things that caused more damage. it was a hell of a bill and those were aftermarket parts with no labor. I had a friend of mine help me and let me use his lift. We got it fixed but wasn't happy about it. But the oem parts with labor would have been 8000. Mines well trade it at that point...
I would have thought insurance would have covered all but a deductible... Maybe I better check my policy!