Ventilation for a Shipping Container

Arkansasdawg

Equipment
MX5400, grapple, Bad Boy Rotary Mower
Oct 7, 2020
I have searched the Forums but was unable to find the thread where I am certain this has been discussed:

I live in Central Arkansas, in the process of purchasing 50 acres of land and a new Kubota tractor. I have made arrangements to get a 40' High Cube Storage Container delivered to the site for Tractor Storage. Are there any concerns over storing a Tractor and Diesel Cans inside the container? It gets pretty hot in Arkansas in the Summer. Thank you

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Will you have power to this container? IF so - cut a small hole in one end and another hole opposite side/end. Get a good size fan and have it turn on with a thermostat like an attic fan.

It really depends on the CFM 's of the fan - if 120 volt power - a couple of bathroom vents fans would work well enough. I have one of those "quiet" fans that when on will pull blow a lighter out as the air is sucked from under the door! OF course my bathroom is about 12' long and maybe 6' wide...... you are dealing with 40x8x8 more or less!

The trick here is that there MUST be air coming in at some point to be able to exit. I am not sure they are "water" tight - but I bet there is little air coming into it without a vent of some sort with the doors shut.

IF no power - get a solar panel / 12 volt battery and a couple of fans that will run off a 12 volt system and place vents where you wish and allow the fans to come on when you wish - plus you will always have a back up battery to jump from if need be!

more info :

https://www.gatewaycontainersales.com.au/shipping-container-ventilation-diy-guide/

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
I have searched the Forums but was unable to find the thread where I am certain this has been discussed:

I live in Central Arkansas, in the process of purchasing 50 acres of land and a new Kubota tractor. I have made arrangements to get a 40' High Cube Storage Container delivered to the site for Tractor Storage. Are there any concerns over storing a Tractor and Diesel Cans inside the container? It gets pretty hot in Arkansas in the Summer. Thank you
Welcome dawg,
I live down Sheridan way and would like more info on storage units. Mind saying where you found your container?
👨‍🌾

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
I have not purchased it yet but am looking at Scottysstorage.com
Thank you dawg,
My son lives down close to Huston and can get those relatively cheap. I haven't found them to be affordable in my location, delivered that is. I may end up getting one of those carport thingies.

Arkansasdawg

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
Let me clarify my original question. I guess what I am asking is this. "Is it necessary to install some sort of ventilation in a shipping container?" I suspect that some folks store their equipment in these containers without adding additional vents. Anyone having issues with those?

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
Let me clarify my original question. I guess what I am asking is this. "Is it necessary to install some sort of ventilation in a shipping container?" I suspect that some folks store their equipment in these containers without adding additional vents. Anyone having issues with those?
Yes. They must be vented. They use them at a golf club I know and the machinery just rots in them without ventilation. But then again, machinery around here gets put away wet quite a lot

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My 20ft container has 8 factory vents, it is in the Arizona high country, and I keep the tractor, fuel cans, oils, spare parts & implements in there with absolutely no problems.
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0020 4.11.41 PM.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I live in the same general area

used to keep my race car stored in a connex when I wasn't using it.

it would get upward of 170 degrees inside at times when we had the big heat wave in '2010. I bought an enclosed and keep it elsewhere now, ventilated of course

humidity is another concern. When it cools down at night the inside of the connex that I was using would sweat. It is nothing more than an tin can.

But the one I used was not vented very well if at all (I don't remember). It was pretty tight, and didn't leak a drop was an old reefer container

thought about having one delivered to some property for a cabin, and havent' ruled that out yet. Same problem, not insulated but I reckon I can do something with that. I know someone who has two of them set side by side for a nice cabin, spray foamed, knotty pine all inside--it's NICE.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I’ve got one like Bill has and it works well for storing my tractor. But I have it parked on the north side of my shop to shade it during the summer heat. They do get hot when the sun beats down on them. Do you have some trees on your property maybe you could park it under?

Arkansasdawg

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
Thanks for all of the replies. My container will be in the edge of the woods so not in blazing sun, I hope that helps. I like the idea of the small vents but just wonder if that is really enough to significantly ventilate the box. The whirlybird vents seems to be better but look like a pain to install. Oh well, I have a few months before the heat gets here. Thanks

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I'm on my third one and have never had a condensation issue or heat issue. I keep a Snowmobile and dirt bike in one in the from spring to fall and in the winter lawn mower. The other one has all the Kubota implements in it.
They all have vents installed in them when built, it can get on the warm side out in the ocean.

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
It all depends what you're planning on storing in it. The attached video made me think twice about keeping anything gas related in ours.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Without vents.... they are quite the “bomb” when they go.

Attic vents and or turbo-vents work well with no power at all.

Gasoline (and propane) vapors “sink” ... so an upper and a lower vent at opposite ends are probably advisable.

Unfortunate Bystander

Equipment
L-235
Oct 15, 2020
Santa Cruz County, CA
If you need to put the container on blocks due to uneven ground be aware that the floors are often wood and can burn in a fire scenario where the leaves and other debris on the ground are burning. I lost about two feet of floor and everything in the container smells of smoke.