Van Sickle spray paint

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Has anyone used Van Sickle Super Premium Gloss Kubota Orange #2 can spray paint? It seems to be very thin and very prone to running. I shook the can for a couple of minutes before using it and kept the can about 16" away from what I was painting.

Anyone have any helpful ideas on this paint or using it?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have never used that brand before. I've tried several different ones and they all have faded and changed colors. The real stuff from the dealer is high but it doesn't fade.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Van Sickle,,, wasn't he a vampire hunter er sumthin,,,, oh no wait that was Van Helsing,, sorry ok go back to what ever you were doing

RDL

Jun 10, 2015
Lowell,AR
I bought a can last week when I mounted a tool box and painted the brace I made. You have to use it by several light coats with about 10 to 15 min apart. I did something light 8 to 10 coats. My brace turned out good doing it that way and no runs. Another thing take about 24 hours to dry to the touch.
Not sure that I would buy that brand again but its the only brand I could find local in the Kubota orange.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Van Sickle,,, wasn't he a vampire hunter er sumthin,,,, oh no wait that was Van Helsing,, sorry ok go back to what ever you were doing

I am goona drive up there and buy you a beer skeets!!!! still laughing....:D:)

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have never used that brand before. I've tried several different ones and they all have faded and changed colors. The real stuff from the dealer is high but it doesn't fade.
If I were painting on the tractor I would drive the 70+ miles to the closest Kubota dealer and get the real stuff. But I was touching up on of the handles on my Wood Maxx chipper and the local farm supplies store had this.

I bought a can last week when I mounted a tool box and painted the brace I made. You have to use it by several light coats with about 10 to 15 min apart. I did something light 8 to 10 coats. My brace turned out good doing it that way and no runs. Another thing take about 24 hours to dry to the touch.
Not sure that I would buy that brand again but its the only brand I could find local in the Kubota orange.
Next time I try the Van Sickle paint I will take more time and do light coats as you describe. Thanks for the input.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I use that paint all the time, I have only used the Self etching primer in the spray cans though, all the other paint is in quarts and gallons and I mix it for use in my sprayer.
It's a high oil content paint, so light initial tack coat and then longer drying times with heavy coats is to be expected. ;)

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Keep in mind that all orange paints are the hardest to get to cover. Black or white cover better, once you get to the colors, some are easier to use due to the amount of pigment in the paint...:D

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
I used it for the front of a riding lawns mower deck repair. Didn't cover very well, and it seemed like it wanted to run badly.

Honestly, I think the $.99 Walmart paint does a better job. Of course the $.99 Walmart paint probably costs around $2.00 now...

On the other hand, about eight years ago, I painted an old auger cart with Van Sickle's Allis Chalmers orange and it is still looking good. No fading or chalking at all, and it sets out in the weather.

I did not thin it or use any hardener in it, just stirred it good and poured it into the spray gun.

Robert

comfun1

Equipment
b7100 with 1630c loader
Jul 28, 2015
Independence
Years ago I taught building trades at a votech and the auto body instructor told me that Van Sickle paint was a good paint at a fraction of the cost of automotive paints. He recommended a hardener with it. I used it and it held up great. I used a reducer, hardener and sprayed several coats. If I recall without the hardener it was several hours dry to touch or with hardener about forty five minutes. With hardener you could place parts in service in 24 hours.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Sounds like it's an alkyd based paint. That's very common implement/tractor paint and if it fades you just hit it with a buffer and compound and it comes right back. Enamels, Acrylics and epoxies aren't as good at the bounce back from fade effect.

The alkyd's have hardeners (as do many epoxies) but they are still slow to cure. Some you can lay on really thick, 2 coats. This one sounds like a really thin one.