Valve Stem Replacement Help

Bob in MO

Equipment
L3400
Feb 9, 2015
Wentzville, MO
Hi Guys,

I got an L3400 with 175L-24 rear wheels that are fluid filled. The valve stem on the right rear is missing the center core pin. I would like to replace the valve stem but not sure which approach to take. Attached is a pic of the stem. From what I have read so far, some might say this is a two part stem with a piece that can be screwed out from the outside. To me it looks like one piece. What do you guys think?
Could I use these parts?

Or should I push the old stem in and use a valve stem replacement?
Although I'm not sure of the hole size in the rim.
Another question; Is there any problem with leaving the old stem inside the tire?

Thanks,
bob

valve_stem.jpg

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Can you resolve the problem by replacing just the core of the valve stem?

I don’t understand your problem 100% so may be way off base.

Try using a brass brush on it and see if there are any threads on where the nut is.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need to gain access to the rear of the valve stem in order to replace it.
You can't simply push the stem in and install another in from the outside.
Get a tire shop to do it!

Bob in MO

Equipment
L3400
Feb 9, 2015
Wentzville, MO
Can you resolve the problem by replacing just the core of the valve stem?

I don’t understand your problem 100% so may be way off base.

Try using a brass brush on it and see if there are any threads on where the nut is.
The valve stem (center piece) is broken. When you look into the valve stem the center pin that you would push on is missing.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
"Get a tire shop to do it"
Good advice!

allis15

Equipment
BX-23S, Rr mount sickle, Rr blade
Nov 17, 2022
Ontario, CAN
Based on the (broken) white plastic nut on the Stem in the picture, that is a Tire Tube Stem.
With some wire brushing and some soaking with PB Blaster, the pictured Valve Stem might come apart.
If it does come apart, the part in the link I provided would probably look the same.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I hear what your saying Wolfman. Can you tell me why I can't simply push the valve stem in and use something like this ?
I've never used one, but based on the comments no one had complaints except a guy who said it didn't fit his Yanmar. Others used them on liquid filled tractor tires, one on 944 loader. I'd say jack the tractor up some to take the pressure off and insert it. Report back how it goes.

Here's an explanation on YouTube.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Based on the (broken) white plastic nut on the Stem in the picture, that is a Tire Tube Stem.
With some wire brushing and some soaking with PB Blaster, the pictured Valve Stem might come apart.
If it does come apart, the part in the link I provided would probably look the same.
I'm wondering the same thing.
If it is a tube and not tubeless then it's a whole differnt matter.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I hear what your saying Wolfman. Can you tell me why I can't simply push the valve stem in and use something like this ?
If it is a tubeless tire then, yes that valve stem would work.
But tubeless or tubed then the valve repair that Allis15 and you put up, would work to fix your issue.
The top of your valve unscrews from the bottom.

I'll bet all you really need to do is use a Valve stem tool and replace the Schrader valve.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
The Colby Valves work extremely well, so well in fact we started selling them. It's a great product to have on have if you have tractors, trailers, and other "tired" equipment around thats kept outside.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Talk to your local tractor dealer, likely there is a guy they use to do on site tire service. If you don't have inner tubes expect a can of worms dealing with that valve. Sometimes it's worth paying someone else to skin their knuckles.

Reactions: 1 user

allis15

Equipment
BX-23S, Rr mount sickle, Rr blade
Nov 17, 2022
Ontario, CAN
Talk to your local tractor dealer, likely there is a guy they use to do on site tire service. If you don't have inner tubes expect a can of worms dealing with that valve. Sometimes it's worth paying someone else to skin their knuckles.
If you can get it apart, I believe this is the repair part you need.

ABC384 Rear Tire Inner Tube Air water valve?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces across google&utm_term=ABC384 (steinertractor.com)

Bob in MO

Equipment
L3400
Feb 9, 2015
Wentzville, MO
So I cried my sad story to a buddy and he came over with this part.
We took a couple pair of vice-grips to see if we could get the top part of the old valve stem apart, and low and behold, it did!
This is what the part looks like that we removed.
bad_stem.jpg

And here is the base of the old valve stem with the new top piece from the part that my buddy brought over.
fixed_stem.jpg

After jacking up that side of the tractor, the whole job took about 15 minutes!
Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and ideas.
Merry Christmas,
bob

Reactions: 6 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
P
One other small note I forgot to mention. As Allis15 had suggested, I sprayed the valve stem several times with PB Blaster.
PB blaster may be helpful,..... but KROIL is the best!

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Glad this is fixed, but just to point out for future reference since it didn't 'stick' so far in this thread..

The part with the little post in the middle is called a schrader valve and they are simply threaded in and can be replaced.
1670354340516.png

There are many styles but on a tire's valve stem there is basically only the one size that is interchangeable with 99.99% of everything. There is a 'special' screwdriver to turn them. Dirt cheap.
1670354386074.png

And just for good measure, here is how it works as a one-way check valve to hold air/liquid, but can also be manually opened. The two red parts are what seals your air/liquid in and either one can fail, although the one attached to the plunger which actually moves is far more susceptible because you can introduce debris to it when trying to blow air in, which is why valve stems have dust caps. ;)
1670354509333.png

This also shows why a 2-piece valve stem like what is on the OP's tractor exist for tires which get filled with liquid. The gap that fluid would flow through this valve is the inner diameter of the 'valve seat', MINUS the thickness of the plunger rod! This thing has about the same liquid flowrate as the thing your dentist uses to rinse inside your mouth. It is MUCH MUCH MUCH faster to unscrew it and flow liquid through the entire ID of the valve stem, or get a 2-piece valve stem where the lower part is even bigger than that, which is what OP has. It's like that for 'liquid flow rate'.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Now you're saying a schrader valve can be replaced with a "special" screwdriver? ;)

Here they call them a schrader valve torque tool.

1670354907876.png