Using Synthetic grease and oil in a 1979??

BRUIN

Equipment
B7100
Mar 5, 2016
Shelton, CT
Using Synthetic grease and oil and fuel additives in a 1979??

Hello,

I just picked up a mint 1979 or 1980 Kubota B7100D, it just had everything done to it by the PO , oil change ( Fram filter) and it looks like the transmission and hydraulic oil are good and clean.

It needs to be greased at all the fittings, can I use full synthetic Grease ?

What about engine oil and gear oils can they be full synthetic too or should I stick with the original Kubota standard oil and gear oil ?

Does anyone use fuel additives ? in my other diesels I use the PS diesel additives

Thanks

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You can use what ever you want for grease. Same with motor oil, As Long as the oil is specified for a diesel engine ;)

If your tractor is geared, then I would recommend going with plain old universal tractor hydraulic oil. You can get it for around $35 for a five gallon pail, versus kubota UDT at $85 plus per five gallons.

If your tractor is a hydrostatic, then spend the money for the kubota udt2 fluid. It's high, but works the best in a hydrostatic for quieting it way down.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Re: Using Synthetic grease and oil and fuel additives in a 1979??

Not being ugly - but take that fram filter off and place it ......

YOU can use synthetic any and everywhere! As long as you want to pay for it - it will only help in the short and long run.

those who say that it isnt better .........well - everyone has an opinion.

Daren said it well - geared, go with anything that meets the specs, engine oil - anything THAT is for Diesel - dont throw in oil for gassers - it will not have the good stuff to help the diesel blow by.

And yes I do use an additive for fuel - I use this and swear by it :

http://www.xtremediesel.com/XDP-Diesel-Power-Plus-Fuel-Additive-XDDPP116.aspx

I can "hear" the difference.

Last edited:

BRUIN

Equipment
B7100
Mar 5, 2016
Shelton, CT
That Fram filter comes of Tomorrow!

I ordered all the filters and lubricants from Kubota for this oil change, as far as the grease goes Ill use a full synthetic

This Tractor does not have hydraulic oil or a standard type hydraulic oil filter- at least that is what I am reading in the manual.

For Transmission oil it clearly says " SAE 80 Gear Oil" and then goes on to say that the capacity is 12.2 Quarts and that the "oil in the transmission case is also used for the hydraulic drive system"

Is this right ??

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For Transmission oil it clearly says " SAE 80 Gear Oil" and then goes on to say that the capacity is 12.2 Quarts and that the "oil in the transmission case is also used for the hydraulic drive system"

Is this right ??
SAE 80 gear oil is approximately the same as universal hydraulic fluid.
Universal Hydraulic is the standard replacement.

Careful taking the Manuals as the ultimate word, the reason is they are 40+ years old and there is much newer and better lubrication possibilities available, like synthetic grease. ;)

BRUIN

Equipment
B7100
Mar 5, 2016
Shelton, CT
Thank you NIW,

I understand that the newer lubricants may be more advanced and possibly more beneficial.

I forgot to think that the sae 80 is similar viscosity as the hydraulic oil, I suppose I could use full synthetic 80 weight.

BRUIN

Equipment
B7100
Mar 5, 2016
Shelton, CT
There are different viscosities of Hydraulic oil, I am looking now to see which ones closest match the 80 weight gear oil. From what I can tell I have narrowed it down to two hydraulic fluid weights, the ISO 46 and the ISO 68 - each one has similar properties as the 80W SAE gear oil but they still are different

I think I will use use full synthetic gear oil with the required rating as the standard Kubota requirements Unless someone chimes in with what type of synthetic hydraulic fluid to use

here is the Amsoil spec

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2985.pdf

Here is a viscosity chart:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
ipz2222,
I was skeptical just like you are.
A lot of people confuse 80W with 80W 90 , there is a huge difference in the viscosity under normal operation.
But 80W is the same as ISO 68 (universal)

ISO 46 and anything lower might just give you some real unwanted side effects, like leaks, and low pump pressures.
Remember it's a 40+ year old tractor, things are going to be worn and seals are going to be dry and stiff. :eek:
I would stick with either the 80W or Universal ISO 68! ;)

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
"Remember it's a 40+ year old tractor, things are going to be worn and seals are going to be dry and stiff."

Which brings up a good point- don't be surprised if you develop a leak or two running full synthetic engine oil in an old tractor. It isn't uncommon to put synthetic in an engine with age and hours, and have that synthetic slip past old seals.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
My experience with synthetic in engines, oil will extend the service interval, so less frequent oil changes. Better cold starts.

Switching trucks from conventional to synthetic gear oil gives different results, i found on a couple occasions where gear noise increases with synthetic, especially manual transmissions.

I have a rack full of synthetic and semi synthetic oil to meet my customers needs,it is growing in popularity mostly that it extends service interval.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"Remember it's a 40+ year old tractor, things are going to be worn and seals are going to be dry and stiff."

Which brings up a good point- don't be surprised if you develop a leak or two running full synthetic engine oil in an old tractor. It isn't uncommon to put synthetic in an engine with age and hours, and have that synthetic slip past old seals.
Now at least Hodge spoke the truth here about synthetic oil...... He never said that synthetic oil causes seals to leak, because that has been a old wives tail for a looooong time.

Synthetic will NOT cause a seal to leak.........

but....and this is where Hodge does make an excellent point, ifn you have an old tractor, with old worn brittle seals, that should have been replaced a while back (yeaaars ago), the molecular structure of synthetic, (it truly has a smaller molecular structure) will allow it to pass through those worn seals! And for this very reason does a better job of lubricating......

think of old air in tires that leak slowly and now they place nitrogen in them now for a lot of reasons, but one them is it's "leakability!":)

""Nitrogen molecules have a more difficult time escaping through the microscopic spaces that exist between a tire's rubber molecules.""

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ummm 85Hokie... Come on man... I was the one who said it... Hodge just quoted that line from me... :p;):D:cool:
true, true ....my bad Sean....:eek:

you've been getting all the love lately:) .....just wanted to spread the love around to some others!!! Brother Hodge needs love too! :p:)

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
true, true ....my bad Sean....:eek:

you've been getting all the love lately:) .....just wanted to spread the love around to some others!!! Brother Hodge needs love too! :p:)
Keep the love- mail me ammo.
:p