Trying to decide on backhoe attachment. Kubota or WoodMaxx? Advice?

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I have a Kubota L3560 HSTC and have looked for about a year for the best set-up for a backhoe, and got a lot of good advice from this site and tractorbynet, and almost all recommend (as well as the dealer) that a subframe is a must. Too much weight on the 3pt, and pressure on connections to the axle that can break housings. I questioned Woodmaxx about subframe and they sent a nice email explaining their stand which was interesting, but in the end I went with the Kubota BH92 with the subframe. It is being installed as I write and should be ready in the next few days for me to pick up, and I feel even though it is a lot of money, I feel more at ease knowing it will be warranted by the dealer and done right.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
In my opinion no real choice, get a Mini Ex! :D

Ok seriously, never a 3 point backhoe, only sub-frame models!

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
I faced that same decision... more than 10 years ago. Chose the 9 ft. Kubota factory subframe BH, and have put it to good use ever since. Expensive, but it's a serious tool for doing serious work. Built like an M1 Abrams tank. That's what you need in a backhoe if you're thinking about grubbing stumps, removing rocks or digging to any depth in hard soil conditions.

You're paying almost double for about twice as much backhoe, in terms of digging ability, weight and a product engineered specifically for your machine. Up to you what to choose, but looking back, going for the heavy-duty setup was the right choice for me.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The sub-frame itself is a very important piece. It ties the whole tractor together so that the forces are spread over the whole tractor not just the rear end. The way it bolts on reinforces everything making it a very strong unit. Also, the Kubota backhoe is well built and works very nice and smooth. I have the BH-65 on a Kubota B2920 and like it a lot. I have run many full size backhoes and the BH-65 works just as smooth as the big ones.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Noooooo! Don't purchase any 3 point system, unless you like down time and spending thousands to replace a lift cover or differential housing.

Plus you should have signed a dealer delivery sheet stating that non Kubota implements could void the warranty.

Pat

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Going to have to do something. I have a little yanmar hoe and just bought a b7100 HST. I'm glad I found this site, as I would have just put it on the 3PH and went at it. :(
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm all about making things if you can.
sometimes it's just a challenge. :D
I made the loader for my B7100, it was a learning experience, doing it again, I would have use lighter materials, smaller cylinders, and made it a quick detach.
Makings a sub-frame for a BH would be a challenge, but I too would tackle it if needed! ;)

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I made the loader for my B7100, it was a learning experience, doing it again, I would have use lighter materials, smaller cylinders, and made it a quick detach.
Do you have a thread documenting the specifics what you did and what you would do differently anywhere?

Spurlucky

Equipment
Kubota MX5200, loader, Backhoe w, hydraulic thumb
Apr 19, 2015
Berkshire County, MA, USA
I have a MX5200 and the BH92. I have no knowledge of the damage a 3pt hitch may cause but the cost savings do not seem to justify the risk. My input would be to put the hydraulic thumb on the day you buy it. Worth its weight in gold. In my opinion it easily doubles the functionality of the hoe. This will be your favorite attachment bar none.