trans leak

Tuckler

May 18, 2015
Asheville NC
I have a 6 year old 3240 HST and a year ago I developed a trans leak in the needle valve under the clutch. I was pulling pretty hard on the engine with a box blade and tines. The dealer said it was a seal and cost about $1200 to fix. Well, I kept an eye on the oil and spent the summer and all fall mowing and general clean up stuff and did not have one drop leak. Today I am out digging dirt and putting some load on the tractor and the leak has come back. Question: Is it the strain on the drive system that is doing this and if I watch the oil , will spending another season mowing harm the machine? $1200 bucks right now would be a problem.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
IMHO, just a guess but get a WSM and use that as a guide to tighten everything to spec. in particular the area your leak comes from when under Tugging stress. Thinking this cause Tractors often use the engine transmission as part of chassis and your leaks seem to come when most stress is put on this.

la724

Equipment
l3540 tractor, la724 FEL, brush hog, box blade, 2 thumb grapples
May 26, 2015
Punta Gorda florida
I don't know how to link it but search "hydraulic fluid leak when hot" and you will see what happened with mine.
Andy

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have an L3240 that developed the same problem. It was an internal part that failed. The part allows the propeller shaft that connects to the front axle to slide forward and out of the front seal. If you remove the front drive shaft and pull the internal propeller shaft forward, it will move about an inch and flood hydraulic fluid. Slide it back and the flow will stop. The length of the front drive shaft serves to hold the propeller shaft in place and somewhat stop the flow but not reliably. Kubota knows this issue so you might want to explain this to your dealer. My machine had less hours and years and they fixed it. It's a question worth asking. The repair requires disassembling the transmission.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Rentthis nailed it, it's the seal inside the transmission for the propeller shaft to the front end.

If you check the fluid religiously you will be fine to put it off for a while, but don't wait too long as it's putting fluid into the clutch housing and if it gets too much for too long it will ruin the clutch disk. ;)

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Wolfman, The dealer told me that there is some sort of keeper toward the rear end of the prop shaft that allows the shaft to move forward and out of the seal at the front of the shaft. I would never question your diagnosis but if they are right, we might want to rethink using the machine meanwhile. I don't know what is supposed to have come loose but might it not possibly do damage inside the trans case?

Tuckler

May 18, 2015
Asheville NC
What is strange is that I can drive and mow and not lose a drop. It is only when I am putting some strain on the hydraulics while digging with the bucket or doing heavy scraping with the box blade and tines. I went all last summer and fall without losing a drop. Was out today for two hours and did not lose a drop. If I did some serious digging or moving dirt it would leak maybe a cup or two a day.......

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If it's the same problem as mine, the length of the front drive shaft will hold the propeller shaft far enough into the seal to stop the leak. Mine didn't always leak but it being a rental machine meant that I wasn't using it and didn't know the symptoms of it leaking. It could be that pressure on the front axle might or might not move it far to leak. If you remove the drive shaft, pull on the end of the propeller shaft with a pair of pliers, you will likely move it approx 1 inch and start an oil flow around the shaft. Don't be afraid to try this. If you push the shaft back into the transmission, the flow will stop.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The reason it really only leaks when your working it hard is Flex, heat, and movement are all amplified.

My understanding is that its a sleeve that over the shaft that moves and causes it to leak, the new kits have a spring loaded sleeve to keep it in place.

In any case get it fix as soon as possible!

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Sadly this is not unknown in the L40 Series, fortunately mine went out under warranty as it had to be split.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I really like Kubota, but they haven't handled this issue very well. Given that this happens as often as it does, Kubota should repair under warranty

Tuckler

May 18, 2015
Asheville NC
An estimate on fixing one little seal is $1500. The only thing I can do for the time being is keep checking fluid levels and not work the tractor too hard. A tractor that is meant to be worked hard. Maybe this coming winter I can get it fixed, but not right now....Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
The good news, if there is such a thing, the replacement seal is an "improved" design and I've never heard of a failure one repaired.

Good luck with your machine.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
There was a TSB on this issue. If one was to mention this when calling the divisional customer service line, I wonder if there would be some help? Maybe even if they just helped (not full repair cost), it would help change your confidence in Kubota?

Sometimes the dealers are busy and don't really have the time to deal with it....thats why a call to customer service, armed with the bulletin number, might be worth the call :)

SOP in that case. You call CS, they call the divisional guys, divisional contacts the dealer. They send a service rep to inspect. Rep says ok we'll help...or no, sorry.