Tractor weight and concrete floor

Stumpuller

Equipment
Kubota GL 5240, Wicked Grapples, 1949 Case DC, IH 364, LP RCR1860
Oct 29, 2011
Wellston, OK, USA
My floor is 4" 3,000 psi concrete wire. I'm thinking about adding the 4 wheel weights and was wondering if I would be approaching having to much weight in my enclosed shop floor for parking and servicing the Kubota? the floor is 30'X40'
I would appreciate any thoughts about this or experience. I've had no problems so far. Without the added wheel weight. I was thinking RIM Guard but do I that much weight at 55 gallons per tire at 10.7-11 lbs per gallon = 1,000 lbs? tires are 17.5L 24

L5240 HSTC 4WD CAB 4,233 lbs
854 FEL 600
Bucket 72 sq 150 or grapple 435
Box Blade 200
4 wheel weights 428
Fluids 200
Operator 200
total 6,011 6,296

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My floor is 4" 3,000 psi concrete wire. I'm thinking about adding the 4 wheel weights and was wondering if I would be approaching having to much weight in my enclosed shop floor for parking and servicing the Kubota? the floor is 30'X40'
I would appreciate any thoughts about this or experience. I've had no problems so far. Without the added wheel weight. I was thinking RIM Guard but do I that much weight at 55 gallons per tire at 10.7-11 lbs per gallon = 1,000 lbs? tires are 17.5L 24

L5240 HSTC 4WD CAB 4,233 lbs
854 FEL 600
Bucket 72 sq 150 or grapple 435
Box Blade 200
4 wheel weights 428
Fluids 200
Operator 200
total 6,011 6,296
I dont see any problem what so ever!

I worked for a large commercial building firm for a few years, the only thing I ever heard is that the vinyl flooring (VCT) was all stacked on spot on the floor, like 450 boxes @ 50lbs each sitting on one spot. This was an elevated slab! Yours is slab on grade, you could park a tank there within reason! "I would not worry about the mule going blind - load the wagon!":D

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Your floor has dirt & or rock under it, no problem! You couldn't put enough static weight on the floor to hurt it.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Here is another way to look at it.

I've been looking into a BendPak 10k 2 post lift. It is asymmetric, and capable of safely lifting my 7500 lb Crew Cab truck. Their recommended minimum concrete pad for direct mounting (without creating a dedicated footing) is 4". And that is a LOT more static weight (~9000 lbs) stress on a small ~3 square foot post footing, not to mention leverage! And that's also with sufficient safety factor for liability since their lift will be used to support that weight with people working under it.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
In another light, rim guard is a whole lot cheaper than steel. Nobody says you have to fill the tires up! Go about half full and you have your weight, and have it all down low where you need it for stability.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Stumpuller, the 3000# psi concrete you have does not mean you can only put something on it that weighs 3000# or less. 3000# concrete is rate at POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH. A square inch is 1"x1"x1". So your floor would end up rated for many thousands of pounds because it is thicker than 1" and the load is spread out over many many inches. Put all the weight on you need, you will be safe.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Not to be pedantic, but 1x1x1 is a cubic unit. 1x1 is a square unit. I believe that rating is assuming solid support so no flex occurs, and is the theoretical minimum pressure at which the mix will begin to break down (crumble). The thicker pour just means less flex which is a different breakdown mechanism from pressure loading.

But your point is correct, you can put a lot more than 3000 lbs items on the concrete when that weight is spread over multiple square inches.

Last edited:

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Not to be pedantic, but 1x1x1 is a cubic unit. 1x1 is a square unit. I believe that rating is assuming solid support so no flex occurs, and is the theoretical minimum pressure at which the mix will begin to break down (crumble). The thicker pour just means less flex which is a different breakdown mechanism from pressure loading.

But your point is correct, you can put a lot more than 3000 lbs items on the concrete when that weight is spread over multiple square inches.
True. If the ground is not properly prepared before the pour, do not expect the pad to be indestructible. I'm sure everyone has seen cement that gets nothing more than foot traffic cracked to hell. Reinforcing with welded wire and rebar adds great strength to the cement. Your tractors foot print (contact patch) is probably around 100 PSI or so. The thickness of the pad comes into play as well. You should be without issue though.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
On reflection, Stumpuller has a good question. Depending on how long the dirt under the garage(?) had to dry out and settle he could have an empty space just beneath the concrete. 30'x40' is a pretty big span. And his estimates for weight seem low.
Kubota says my little loader weighs 860 lbs, plus 300 for the bucket, plus a handful for the QA assembly, sums to about 1200 lbs. Stumpuller's is bigger, thus heavier.
The concrete slabs for both my basement and barn are 4", and both are cracked in places from settling. I believe it is the weight of the house or roof on the walls, and the center area of the floor is actually pushed up a bit by the dirt/rock under it, while the perimeter walls pushed the footings down.
I often left my 1-ton 4x4 pickup (5000 lbs empty) in the barn, and have not noticed any effects attributable to it. His span is larger - twice as big -, and the tractor at least a thousand pounds heavier, however. I'm not sure it will be any worse than just regular settling. I'd probably park it there, and worry.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I dont see any problem what so ever!

I worked for a large commercial building firm for a few years, the only thing I ever heard is that the vinyl flooring (VCT) was all stacked on spot on the floor, like 450 boxes @ 50lbs each sitting on one spot. This was an elevated slab! Yours is slab on grade, you could park a tank there within reason! "I would not worry about the mule going blind - load the wagon!":D
VCT is 62 pounds a box- I spent many days of my career carrying them onto jobsites, down into basements, up staircases at a DuPont plant in town. Two boxes on your shoulder gets old after a while. Which proves your point even more- that much weight concentrated in an area shows how stable that slab was.
It is a point to be taken- almost all of our work was on suspended wood systems, so we had to make sure not to stack materials in a concentrated area.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
VCT is 62 pounds a box- I spent many days of my career carrying them onto jobsites, down into basements, up staircases at a DuPont plant in town. Two boxes on your shoulder gets old after a while. Which proves your point even more- that much weight concentrated in an area shows how stable that slab was.
It is a point to be taken- almost all of our work was on suspended wood systems, so we had to make sure not to stack materials in a concentrated area.
Hodge,
I was gonna put 75lbs, but hell it has been so long I forgot! So I was taking a SWAG..... But I know that I didnt have to move them! :D - That being said, that was a butt load of weight all in one spot on the 3rd floor of a 4 week old pour! Not knowing any different, I told the floor guys to move it into the rooms that they needed asap! aw, the good ol'days! Thanks for the info!

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
I know someone who had a 5yard join Deere loader in his polebarn. That thing was a beast. Standard 4" floor. Besides, all concrete cracks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

kjjehnzen

Equipment
B1750 HSD
Sep 11, 2009
mecosta michigan usa
Have you not seen the youtube video of the corvette museum sink hole? Your concrete floor will hold only as much as what is holding the concrete floor will hold. etc. etc.

Highspeed

Equipment
B-series
Jan 27, 2014
mid-Michigan
Stumpuller, You'll be fine. You're spreading the load across a lot of tire area. Possibly a couple sq. feet. My tool box is easily 1800lbs and sits on 4 casters of about 6 sq. inches total. No worries at all.

Baddog, I have a Bendpak assymetric 10k 2 post lift. If you're putting it in yourself I've got a couple tips for you from my experience. Love the lift btw! One of those things you'll always wonder why you didn't get one before.